Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Need Lite weight rifle (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/need-lite-weight-rifle-93105/)

PABUCK 06-29-2013 05:27 PM

Need Lite weight rifle
 
Looking for a super light weight rifle for elk hunting. Decided on a .300 win mag, but looking to get it in a model that weighs in around 6 - 6.5lbs. The closest I've found is the Tikka T3. Any other suggestions.

Apex-Predator 06-29-2013 05:31 PM

Tikka T3s ROCK, but that much power in such a light platform is sure to be a slobberknocker. Savage makes a light weight rifle too, and their recoil pad is better IMHO.

c3shooter 06-29-2013 09:10 PM

OK, I have a .308 that weighs 6 lbs. You want MY advice?

DON'T DO IT !!!!

PABUCK 06-29-2013 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter (Post 1290521)
OK, I have a .308 that weighs 6 lbs. You want MY advice?

DON'T DO IT !!!!

So you are suggesting a .300 is too much gun for elk? I got a 7mm-08 BLR stainless & a remington 700 BDL .270 with an 8oz trigger. Maybe I'll just get a Bell and Carlson stock for my .270. I just wish my .270 was stainless!!

SSGN_Doc 06-29-2013 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PABUCK (Post 1290530)
So you are suggesting a .300 is too much gun for elk? I got a 7mm-08 BLR stainless & a remington 700 BDL .270 with an 8oz trigger. Maybe I'll just get a Bell and Carlson stock for my .270. I just wish my .270 was stainless!!

you could have your gun coated for corrosion resistance if it isn't stainless.

Axxe55 06-29-2013 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PABUCK (Post 1290530)
So you are suggesting a .300 is too much gun for elk? I got a 7mm-08 BLR stainless & a remington 700 BDL .270 with an 8oz trigger. Maybe I'll just get a Bell and Carlson stock for my .270. I just wish my .270 was stainless!!

no, he's saying a 300 WM in a very lightweight rifle is going to bruise the crap out of your shoulder! when it comes to recoil, weight is your friend. at some point you will have to sight the rifle in and in doing so, you could develop a serious flinch in regards to the recoil.

i have shot a few 300 WM's over the years, and even a heavier rifle, they are still a little agressive in recoil.

jpattersonnh 06-29-2013 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axxe55 (Post 1290538)
no, he's saying a 300 WM in a very lightweight rifle is going to bruise the crap out of your shoulder! when it comes to recoil, weight is your friend. at some point you will have to sight the rifle in and in doing so, you could develop a serious flinch in regards to the recoil.

i have shot a few 300 WM's over the years, and even a heavier rifle, they are still a little agressive in recoil.

Might knock a few fillings loose!!

PABUCK 06-29-2013 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axxe55 (Post 1290538)
no, he's saying a 300 WM in a very lightweight rifle is going to bruise the crap out of your shoulder! when it comes to recoil, weight is your friend. at some point you will have to sight the rifle in and in doing so, you could develop a serious flinch in regards to the recoil.

i have shot a few 300 WM's over the years, and even a heavier rifle, they are still a little agressive in recoil.

I had a ruger m77 hawkeye in 300 win mag and I could shoot 10-15 rounds at a time in a t-shirt and feel comfortable, but it weighed 9.5lbs with a scope.

how much would weathering cost?

Axxe55 06-29-2013 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpattersonnh (Post 1290587)
Might knock a few fillings loose!!

or all of them! one thing a person could think about doing if they just feel they need a really lightweight rifle in a larger magnum caliber would be to invest in a really good recoil pad and also consider having a muzzle brake installed.

several years ago, a friend of mine bought a Remington M700 in 300 WM. i had a chance to shoot it before and after it being muzzle braked. i can honestly say it made a world of difference. though it was much louder, even this could be recognized through the ear muffs, the recoil was more like a 30-06. much easier on the shoulder by a long shot.

Axxe55 06-29-2013 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PABUCK (Post 1290594)
I had a ruger m77 hawkeye in 300 win mag and I could shoot 10-15 rounds at a time in a t-shirt and feel comfortable, but it weighed 9.5lbs with a scope.

how much would weathering cost?

what is weathering?


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:34 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.