Need to learn

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Need to learn

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2012, 02:15 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 46 Times on 30 Posts

Default Need to learn

Need help learning about rifles. I have pistols down but no rifle experience. Is there any website to teach about different rifle types, scopes/sighting (like all the terminology and how to use scopes efficiently) oh and what does MOA mean. When people say 3MOA or 4? And also ammo sizes and lethality. I just bought a M&P15-22 and have the flip up mbus sights but also want a scope/red dot for long range shooting and don't want it to be in the way of the mbus if those are up. What is the difference with scopes/red dots/reflex/acog. I am determined to make a badass looking rifle and have it shoot good and far also. But I don't want to put no 200.00 scope on a .22 rifle u know. Thanks.

spit hell fire

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-31-2012, 03:28 AM   #2

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 16

MOA is a increment of measurement at 100yds I believe, more of a sniper thing. I prefer measuring the overall diameter of the group you have shot and subtracting the bullet diameter. A red dot scope is more of a combat style sight for getting on target fast, not as good as a conventional crosshair for target shooting and precision work. Im sure many here can put it much better then I.

Badshot

Old 07-31-2012, 04:01 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8960 Times on 3879 Posts
Likes Given: 1401

Technically, MOA (minute of angle) is a measurement of an angle. It equals a width of ABOUT 1 inch at 100 yards. A Red dot that is "5 MOA" would have a dot that on a taget at 100 yards would cover a 5 inch circle. Or a shot group of 2 MOA at 100 yards would be about 2 inches wide.

Now, Dirty Harry said "A man's gotta know his limitations.." There limitations to firearms. A .308 (in the right rifle) can shoot accurately at 900 yards. A .22 LR is running out of steam at over 100 yards, and beyond 150, drops like a bad habit.

Rifles can also be sorted out by type of action (lever, pump, bolt, semi, etc) and purpose (benchrest, plinker, sporter, etc) You would not use a lightweight .22 for serious target shooting- and would not want to CARRY a 12 lb benchrest gun squirrel hunting.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 07-31-2012, 11:11 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1250 Times on 810 Posts
Likes Given: 2574

There's a lot of really good information on this forum. Just use the search feature for key words.