Need input for upcoming black bear hunt!!! - Page 2

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Need input for upcoming black bear hunt!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2013, 09:33 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 718 Times on 495 Posts
Likes Given: 743

Personnaly, I understand where gello is coming from. I like a nice 9.3x57 w/ a 286gr partition from a slightly elevated position. It'll spread out like a rug before your eyes. If you have ever been stalked by a bear when you were young, you'd understand. They really are destructive nasty creatures. They will eat anything. I've been petitioning the border patrol to take all the bears and build a second fence on our southern border. Put the bears between the 2 fences and you have a secure border!

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

orangello Likes This 
Old 03-27-2013, 11:15 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1714 Times on 743 Posts
Likes Given: 1303

I don't see where you would be gaining anything over the 2 rifles you currently posses. In fact IMO you would be taking a step back. I am not a fan of either one but they are more than capable of taking a black bear. I would spend my money on something else.

Old 03-28-2013, 01:16 AM   #13
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 895 Times on 432 Posts
Likes Given: 90

Here is my Black Bear story!!! I was using a .300 Weatherby mag. You decide what cal. you want to use!!

This is one of my hunting stories. It was a tense experience, but humorous afterwards.
I was in BC Canada Elk hunting high up in the Rockies. There were six of use but in my group there is myself, my hunting partner Thomas and a guide.
We are all on horseback, for no motor vehicles were allowed in the area. We are up high looking down for signs of elk. As we rode along, I looked over on the next mountain side and see a large black bear.
The guide now sees him also. I had a tag and he ask if I wanted to take it, I told him yes.
We slowly dismounted. I pull out my Colt Sauer .300 Weatherby mag, with 3-9 Leupold scope from my scabbard and take a firing position. I estimate 300 yards. I sat down and use a fork in a small tree, take aim, BANG! Bear go’s down. Guide says nice shot. We stand there figuring the best way to get to the bear. I see the bear getting up and running into a good size patch of mountain laurel/high brush. Now I am real disappointed in my shot.

It takes us about 20 minutes to work our way over the patch of laurel/high brush which is about 12 feet high. It is very thick and you cannot see more than 8 feet inside. The patch is about 30 yards by 30 yards and dark inside. We have a wounded bear to locate. Guide says “Somebody has got to go in”, my partner Thomas quickly says, it ain’t my fxxxing bear. I replied, I got it. I start in and realized you cannot see anything more that 8 feet, the stuff was so thick. Plus, I have a rifle with a scope on it, no open site. I dialed the scope down to 3. About that time things start rushing through my head like wounded bear thoughts and how pissed off he must be and will charge at the snap of a twig. Well, I keep moving into the brush and about that time I hear the guide shout, HERE HE COMES!! My rear end is puckered up by this time!! I think to myself, coming from where? Oh crap! I don’t dare answer back and give away my position to the bear. A few seconds later I see the bear moving to my right; I turn, I pick him up in the scope, he is so close that the scope picture is a little out of focus but clear enough to see the bear and know it is a bear, I aim and take my shot. BANG! He went down and stayed down this time. Standing over the bear my knees were shaking and felt weak.
The bear went down on the edge of a big drop off angled downward into a ravine. When I say drop off, I’m talking straight down!. Way down.
We had to hold onto small trees while dressing out/skinning the bear. On the last cut the carcass took down the mountain over the edge into the ravine far below.

Now to top this off, when we got back to the horses, none of the horses would allow the bear on board or near them! I had to carry the hide with head on it draped over my shoulders all the way back to camp. About a half mile.

Well, I now have a beautiful 6 ft black bear rug in my den.

JP-US Naval Aviation AMSC 20 years ( retired) ASW/Aircrew Wings
US Naval Academy Shooting Instructor (Annapolis) and shooting team member
Alway keep your six covered

orangello Likes This 
Old 03-28-2013, 01:30 AM   #14

Liked 287 Times on 193 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Bless You!!!

Please, after it is down, take some demeaning pictures of the bear, maybe a silly hat and a neckerchief or something.
Orangello always cracks me up!
I always look forward to new bear threads
Old 03-28-2013, 01:35 AM   #15

Liked 287 Times on 193 Posts

forumrunner_20130316_005441.jpg

For u gello
Old 03-28-2013, 01:38 AM   #16

Liked 638 Times on 385 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Orange, they do have some 200gr 7.62x54R loads. I've got some 203gr JSPs. Nasty stuff and it really likes to tumble upon impact.

Old 03-28-2013, 03:44 PM   #17

Liked 247 Times on 195 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Save the money and use your 30-30.

Old 04-01-2013, 10:39 AM   #18

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

I think I am either going to use the good ole Mosin Nagant with 180gr SP, or the 30-30 with 170gr SP

Old 04-01-2013, 10:43 AM   #19
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7203 Times on 3945 Posts
Likes Given: 14672

Good luck. And please post some pictures of the hunt.

No offense and none taken (̿▀̿ ̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)̄

Old 04-01-2013, 11:22 AM   #20

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 142

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pubgerm89 View Post
So I own a 30-30, 7.62x54r, and that is about it for rifles. I am however thinking about getting a 22inch 44mag barrel for my HR single shot. What would be my best bet for hunting?!?!
http://www.chuckhawks.com/firearms_black_bear_hunting.htm

Quote:
In the case of short range black bear hunting, we have a lot of choices. For centerfire rifles, anything from a .270 Winchester or .30-30 with a heavy for caliber bullet on up is more than adequate
One caveat, I'd be sure to use bonded ammo to provide the best possible penetration. This might be tough to find in 30 30 win.

Joe

"You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life." - Winston Churchill

Suggested gun control movement talking point: "We're OK with guns to keep our families safe, we just don't want you to have them." - Joe

Last edited by jp_over; 04-01-2013 at 11:40 AM.