Need input on deer hunting rifle! - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Need input on deer hunting rifle!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2011, 09:37 PM   #21
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2555 Times on 1249 Posts
Likes Given: 1285

I like the 7mm Remington Mag. myself. But if you like the shorter action go with the 308 and get some good ammunition for deer. The 30-06 is obviously one of the most versatile rifle calibers available. If you want one rifle to do all in case you do some other big game hunting it would be an excellent choice. I like the 7mm Rem Mag. because I hunt Texas most of the time and can have some longer range shots. I shoot a 150 gr. Bullet in it for deer.
And also the good deal you get on a specific rifle will also be a part of the logical selection! Good Luck! But 270-308-30-06 or 7mm Rem Mag are all great rounds for deer.

Old 11-23-2011, 10:25 PM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1223 Times on 788 Posts
Likes Given: 2465

Yes, my lack of respect for a 30-06 is purely emotional, almost. This is a little tricky so bear with me. I think the faster moving bullets (.270, 30-06, and up) work great when shooting deer in the shoulder. I personally always shot just behind the shoulder for a double lung shot with no lose of meat. Hitting the shoulder with fast moving bullets gives the bullet something solid to hit and lets the bullet do its job. Those same bullets are bad about going straight through a deer if you don't hit anything solid (bone or shoulder joint), and not enough energy is transferred for a good kill. Slower moving bullets (30-30) transfer more energy to the deer and do a much better job when you don't hit anything solid. Keep mind that a bullet that does not pass all the way through has literally transfered 100% of its energy to the deer. This is tricky because we aren't talking about much of a difference in speed. Just using different size lead in the same caliber can be the difference between a clean kill and following a blood trail for 45 minutes. Similarly there isn't much of a difference between a .308 and 30-06 in speed but that little bit of difference is the difference between a deer coming back to see what shot it vs going 10 yards and falling (when not hitting anything solid). The faster moving bullets are great at longer ranges because they have slowed down enough for the bullet to do it's job (and they shoot flatter). The slower moving bullets are great at close ranges because you can hit the deer anywhere and have good energy transfer. The .303 and .308 just seem to be the perfect in between.

So there is some reasoning as to why I no longer prefer a 30-06 for deer, but it is still emotional. I just can't put a gun on the wall that I shot a deer with and the deer came back to see what that was. Of course there is always a down side to letting emotions take over; I do regret selling that 30/06. It was an absolute tack driver.

I know it was the same deer because it had two holes in it (two entry and two more exit holes) and I followed the blood trail all the way around back to the deer because I just couldn't believe it came back to see what that was.

Old 11-24-2011, 12:04 AM   #23

any of the calibers mentioned would do fine. don't get caught up believing that the 06 is so much faster than the 308. for all practical purposes they are darn near identical as deer rounds. useing the same exact bullet out of each( such as ballistic tips or interlocks) with identical shot placement, the deer won't be able to tell if the muzzle velocity was 2700 or 2800. with bullets up to 180gr no real world difference. i have shot or seen shot, deer, caribou, and moose with both. 6 of 1 and half dozen of the other. no real difference

Old 11-24-2011, 01:06 AM   #24
dmp

Liked 17 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 7

...if you're in parts of MI, you have no choice - but shotguns for deer. Check local laws.

Old 11-24-2011, 01:22 AM   #25

Liked 121 Times on 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinman

I hate to bust your bubble bub but unless you are shooting light bullets and hit the near shoulder and the bullet doesnt explode on impact a 243 will ALWAYS be a clean pass through. I know this because in 12 years of deer hunting iv killed 9 deer with a 243 with 3 of them shot at 300 yards or farther. The only ammo i have issues with has been the remington cor loks.
Fully agree the 243 is in no way to small for deer come on get real its a very thin skinned animal, not a cape buffalo any one who says it is to small prob has never shot a deer or they would know. Sure u dont use a 50 or 55 grain bullet for deer but a 80 to 100 grain, that deer is dead period

Old 11-24-2011, 02:18 AM   #26

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muliemaster

Fully agree the 243 is in no way to small for deer come on get real its a very thin skinned animal, not a cape buffalo any one who says it is to small prob has never shot a deer or they would know. Sure u dont use a 50 or 55 grain bullet for deer but a 80 to 100 grain, that deer is dead period
Iv even seem a bull elk that dressed out at 600 lbs killed with a 243. It ran maybe 60 yards in what those of us who have hunted very long or been on guided hunts call the death run. Is it the best caliber for deer? Probably not. IMHO 100 grain bullets are the smallest round to use on deer. Thats just me though.

Old 11-24-2011, 05:58 AM   #27

Liked 121 Times on 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLuker
.308 all the way. I shot a deer once with a 30-06 and it took off but was hit hard. A few minutes later I shot another one in the exact same spot and it feel in its tracks. I got down out of the stand feeling good with two bucks down. I got to the deer and it had two holes in it less than an inch apart (perfect lung shot). The first deer had circled around in a low spot on a power line where I couldn't see him and then walked back out in the same spot to see what that was. It could have happened with any caliber, but it didn't. It happened with a 30-06 and I've had no respect for that caliber for deer hunting since. I'm .308 all the way now and that's because a .308 is the closest thing i can find to a .303 British, which is the absolute best deer caliber period (its just really hard to find a new rifle in that caliber).

Deer don't come back to see what that was when shot with a .303 British - they don't do anything but hit the ground.
The best deer round is a 303 huh well thats funny, as far as a 308 maby u should do some readin on balistic charts its in the shadows of the 06. Is the 308 a good deer choice yes ,better than a 30-06 well thats personal choice.

Old 11-24-2011, 10:12 AM   #28

Liked 749 Times on 477 Posts
Likes Given: 586

I wouldn't base any final conclusions regarding caliber choices on a single instance. Too many variables and choices in factory ammo, especially when discussing calibers like .308, 30.06 or even .270, the ballistics are just too close. With choices like Nosler partition, Barnes triple shock, Rem. Core-Lokt, Swift A-Frame, Gamekings and a ton more and then factoring in bullet weights and powders. You can't target shoot and derive any real conclusions and you can't shoot every deer in sight. So...you base your decisions on what little success you've had, but this by no means is scientific.

Old 11-24-2011, 10:46 AM   #29
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21580 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

first deer i ever killed was with a 243. use at least a 100-110gr bullet. i took deer with a 30-06, 270 and 7mm rem. mag. too. would i trust my 308 to kill a deer? yes, in a second. is the 30-06 better for deer than a 308? ballistics are so close and the same bullets that fit a 30-06, fit a 308. doesn't take much logic to figure either one for sure will get the job done if the hunter does his part. so which is better, 243, 270, 308, 30-06 or 7mm mag. ? all and none! bullet type and construction, plus shot placement to me is way more important than caliber. even a lowly 22lr will kill a deer if the shot is placed right.

Old 11-24-2011, 03:30 PM   #30

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinman View Post
I hate to bust your bubble bub but unless you are shooting light bullets and hit the near shoulder and the bullet doesnt explode on impact a 243 will ALWAYS be a clean pass through. I know this because in 12 years of deer hunting iv killed 9 deer with a 243 with 3 of them shot at 300 yards or farther. The only ammo i have issues with has been the remington cor loks.
Sorry for stepping on your toes Marlinman. My opinion is from past experiences trailing wounded deer that were shot by a .243 All events were from young deer hunters starting out. We hunt old cutovers that are pretty darn thick. Having a good blood trail helps alot. I prefer a 7mm-08 if you want to go with a light recoil gun. You can get ammo in 140 grains. But, that's my opinion. No offense meant. Hope everyone enjoys a Good Thanksgiving. Please remember our Soldiers.