Need info on 8x57mm / 8mm round..
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Need info on 8x57mm / 8mm round..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2012, 04:15 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Need info on 8x57mm / 8mm round..

I have looked all through the net trying to find more info on this type of round and really just keeps saying the same stuff.. I want to know the range in yards for it and if its ever been used in or for a sniper round.. Its for my 8mm Mauser that's in the pic.. Thanks for the help..

forumrunner_20120204_111517.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-04-2012, 08:40 PM   #2

Liked 710 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 727

Seriously?
Here is what a German K98 Sniper looked like. They had standard trigger gaurds, not the winter in the pic.

With a 4x scope 8x57 was an 800 yard killer.

Edit, Sniper ammo was 196gr. This is 1935 Sniper ammo.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Last edited by jpattersonnh; 02-04-2012 at 08:44 PM.

Old 02-04-2012, 09:10 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh
Seriously?
Here is what a German K98 Sniper looked like. They had standard trigger gaurds, not the winter in the pic.

With a 4x scope 8x57 was an 800 yard killer.

Edit, Sniper ammo was 196gr. This is 1935 Sniper ammo.
So your saying that my 196 grain ammo would or could shoot 300-400 yards with no problems?? I have seen the normal 98 mausers but never really found the info I need.. My Mauser looked original before I done everything to it.. Only reason I did all the work is because the wood stock was extremely old and spray painted but someone's kid.. So now its what it is now.. thanks for your input..

Old 02-04-2012, 09:37 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Mapex_Killer View Post
So your saying that my 196 grain ammo would or could shoot 300-400 yards with no problems?? I have seen the normal 98 mausers but never really found the info I need.. My Mauser looked original before I done everything to it.. Only reason I did all the work is because the wood stock was extremely old and spray painted but someone's kid.. So now its what it is now.. thanks for your input..
Your issue is going to be the ATI stock/mount. It may not leave enough adjustment to get out that far. Are you shooting Prvi ammo?

Old 02-05-2012, 01:42 AM   #5

Quote:
Your issue is going to be the ATI stock/mount. It may not leave enough adjustment to get out that far. Are you shooting Prvi ammo?
Im shooting sellier & bellot 196 grain.... I don't see how the stock would have any conflicts with the range.. Its dead on at 50yrds, just bore sighted it for the 50 and first shots out hit 1-3 inch groups but it could have been better cause I was trying to get used to it again.. Haven't had time to shoot any farther yet..

Old 02-05-2012, 02:29 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8836 Times on 3824 Posts
Likes Given: 1366

The effective range of the 8mm Mauser CARTRIDGE is well beyond 400 meters- closer to 800+. It is a very accurate round, and similar to the 30-06 in ballistics. And as the man said up there, it was a very good round for snipers.

What a given RIFLE can do with it will depend on the rifle- wear of throat, bore, crown, headspace, bedding, trigger, scope and mounting, yada yada.

3 inch groups at 50 yds is 6 MOA (roughly) For very long range shooting, that is not adequate. At 500 yds, that would be a 30 inch group.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 02-05-2012, 02:54 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter
The effective range of the 8mm Mauser CARTRIDGE is well beyond 400 meters- closer to 800+. It is a very accurate round, and similar to the 30-06 in ballistics. And as the man said up there, it was a very good round for snipers.

What a given RIFLE can do with it will depend on the rifle- wear of throat, bore, crown, headspace, bedding, trigger, scope and mounting, yada yada.

3 inch groups at 50 yds is 6 MOA (roughly) For very long range shooting, that is not adequate. At 500 yds, that would be a 30 inch group.
Thanks for the input.. my 1-3 inch was the first time shooting the gun since I put the new stock on and with new ammo.. When I first shot the gun with the original stock on it and with surplus ammo it was hitting random spots on the target at 50(not that accurate at first).. Im thinking its a big improvement over the stock version since now I actually have control where on the target it hits.... Thanks for the info on the effective range of this round, I couldn't really find anything that said for sure about range on this round.. Thanks again

Old 02-05-2012, 04:10 AM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8836 Times on 3824 Posts
Likes Given: 1366

"Effective Range" is based on more than just the cartridge. I have 2 rifles in .308 caliber. One is a heavy, long barreled rifle- the other a 6 lb 18.5 inch barreled carbine. Same cartridge, grossly different ranges.

For data on the K98- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karabiner_98k

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 02-05-2012, 12:18 PM   #9

Let me clarify a bit. The scope is mounted to the stock. Most are mount to the rifle. The angle at which the scope is mounted in relationship to the bore, and the amount of MOA that can be adjusted by that scope, can limit the distance you can shoot.

Here is an example of a 15MOA base. Its' intended purpose is long range. The base adds to the distance that can be achieved.
http://www.leupold.com/tactical/products/mounting-systems-and-accessories/mounting-systems/mark-4-tactical-mounts/

Old 02-05-2012, 01:05 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter
"Effective Range" is based on more than just the cartridge. I have 2 rifles in .308 caliber. One is a heavy, long barreled rifle- the other a 6 lb 18.5 inch barreled carbine. Same cartridge, grossly different ranges.

For data on the K98- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karabiner_98k
Quote:
Let me clarify a bit. The scope is mounted to the stock. Most are mount to the rifle. The angle at which the scope is mounted in relationship to the bore, and the amount of MOA that can be adjusted by that scope, can limit the distance you can shoot.

Here is an example of a 15MOA base. Its' intended purpose is long range. The base adds to the distance that can be achieved.
http://www.leupold.com/tactical/products/mounting-systems-and-accessories/mounting-systems/mark-4-tactical-mounts/
Thanks for your answers and input, the rifle isn't going to be used as a hunter just a target/range rifle for now.. the local range only goes to 300 yards and my zastava ak47 hits center target at 100yards(with scope on dust cover rails) so im thinking this Mauser should out shoot my AK and should get me pretty accurate hits at 200-300.. Ill be testing it this week so ill be sure and post the pic or the results here.. Does anyone know how many inches high I should bore sight at 40yards in order to be close at 100-200yrds?? Just wondering.. thanks again..