Need info on 8mm mauser muzzle brake
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Need info on 8mm mauser muzzle brake

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2012, 09:12 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Last edited by The_Mapex_Killer; 02-12-2012 at 02:11 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-11-2012, 09:36 PM   #2

Liked 710 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 727

Get a .223. Seriously. Your stock is still the issue. The design of a stock is the biggest factor. Reduced weight, more felt recoil. Drop at comb....
You wanted to know about 8x57, I've tried to help.

As far as a recoil pad, get a limbsaver slip on, medium.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 02-11-2012, 10:59 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh
Get a .223. Seriously. Your stock is still the issue. The design of a stock is the biggest factor. Reduced weight, more felt recoil. Drop at comb....
You wanted to know about 8x57, I've tried to help.

As far as a recoil pad, get a limbsaver slip on, medium.
Im not asking about my stock, I know recoil is less now than it was with the old wood stock so don't even go there, im just trying to see if anyone knows about any muzzle brakes or recoil pads, no need to say get a .223.. if I wanted a .223 I would get an AR.. Thanks for your input but every time you reply you make it sound like your a gun God or something, so again thanks but no thanks.. If anyone else has any options please let me know thanks..

Old 02-11-2012, 11:10 PM   #4

Holy Sh!t. Your ATI stock weighs less, that Equals more felt recoil. I also told you a cheap effective option for a recoil pad. I've been shooting 8x57 for 20+ years. There is not much about the caliber, or what works that I don't know. I handload, know ballistics, have a working knowledge about energy, both felt and transfered to target. Good luck. You are now up to 3 different threads about the same rifle. Buy a book. Research it yourself. Bolt issues, recoil issues.....
You bought a POS stock and wonder why there are issues. YOUR STOCK IS THE ISSUE! The Bolt on your rifle was worth more then the rifle now as it would have been perfect for a GEW98. Good luck on your rifle.

Old 02-11-2012, 11:23 PM   #5
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6563 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

I don't want to say it, but the stock IS the issue with the recoil (less weight=more recoil. That has to do with the laws of physics). If you want a muzzle break, Try these people. http://www.harrellsprec.com/muzzle_breaks.html Also, if your barrel is not already threaded, you will have to get a gunsmith to do that for you. There are also several recoil pads that you can get (look at limbsaver if they have one that will fit). Either use google to find one designed for your stock, or get one of those pads that you file down to fit.

Old 02-11-2012, 11:54 PM   #6

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Mapex_Killer

Im not asking about my stock, I know recoil is less now than it was with the old wood stock so don't even go there, im just trying to see if anyone knows about any muzzle brakes or recoil pads, no need to say get a .223.. if I wanted a .223 I would get an AR.. Thanks for your input but every time you reply you make it sound like your a gun God or something, so again thanks but no thanks.. If anyone else has any options please let me know thanks..
Dude you asked for advice and it was given by someone that is respected on here. So get a good recoil pad from limbsavers or get a good quality stock actually worth the money that is truelly made for the rifle from someplace like boyds. Leave the brake alone cuz it wont do you a dang bit of good mon ami.

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

Old 02-12-2012, 01:53 AM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8836 Times on 3824 Posts
Likes Given: 1366

Weight is less, recoil more. The SHAPE of the butt, along with the pronounced drop will increase PERCEIVED recoil. In addition, 8mm, especially when shooting from the bench IS a stout recoiling gun.

I have one .308 that, due to shape of stock, was leaving marks on me. SERIOUS marks. (That which does not kill me usually leaves large bruises) A Limbsaver recoil pad tamed that one right down. If you have problems adding a pad to a synthetic stock, get the slip on version.

You have been given sound advice.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 02-12-2012, 02:35 AM   #8
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21578 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

lighter weight stocks and rifles equal more felt recoil, that's a fact. part of the reason i like my magnum rifles a tab bit heavier. the ATI stocks are cheap junk, period. if you want a good synthetic stock that will tame some of the recoil, then get a Bell & Carlson synthetic stock but they are about three times the cost as the ATI, but you get what you pay for, and then you wouldn't or shouldn't need a muzzle brake. if the felt recoil is bad with the 8mm, then you might consider going to a smaller caliber with less recoil.

Old 02-12-2012, 07:58 AM   #9

just remember this, Reduced weight, more felt recoil.

Last edited by canebrake; 02-12-2012 at 08:48 PM. Reason: Spam

Old 02-12-2012, 10:20 PM   #10

Mapex, I really am sorry about being short with you. I love my old Mausers, I have a place in my heart for 8x57. It was my 1st serious centerfire also. I had a GEW98. I will give you reloading data, years of notes. I was fortunate that the shop I frequented was owned by an old timer that sent me in the correct direction. If I ever made a statement that was off base, Duane would jump on my @ss. So I asked questions. I would go by his shop for a few hours a week and he would show me the answer to the question. It is hard when you can't speak one on one and have an example there to show why. I really would like to send you some high test 1949 Turk ammo. It really kicks like a mule, but is very accurate. Send me a PM if you want some.