Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Need to identify a rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2010, 04:49 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 38 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Need to identify a rifle

I picked this rifle up from my brother who kept it back in his gun cabinet. I believe it is a sporterized old military rifle but I have no idea what it was. The bolt handle is broken off so the bolt would need to be replaced. My brother did not have any idea what caliber this rifle is or even where he got it. I will post a few pictures and hope some of you may have an idea what it is. The safety is a flip over on the back of the bolt and the bolt release is on the left side rear of the receiver. I put a 30-06 round on the bolt end and it fits well however when I dropped it into the chamber it does not fit. The bore appears to be about a 22 cal or so. the action is in a custom wood stock and there are no sights as the receiver is tapped for a scope.

Anybody have any ideas?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-18-2010, 12:11 PM   #2

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts

Maynard Buehler Sporterized 03a3 or m98 is what it looks like to me.

Looks like a timney trigger on that sucker. You said it looks like a 22 caliber but fits a 30-06 in the bolt. I may have been a wildcat Maynard came up with based on the 250 savage called the 220 magnum, sounds like a precursor to the 22-250 to me.

No caliber stamped on the barrel? get yourself some Cerrosafe BROWNELLS : CERROSAFE CHAMBER CASTING ALLOY - World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools and cast the chamber.

Three Bolt Action Rifles -A) Maynard Buehler Sporterized U.S. 1917 Rifle with Scope, Ammunition and Documents

Old 02-18-2010, 01:00 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 2261 Times on 1188 Posts
Likes Given: 155

Buehler safety is not uncommon. That was one of the first upgrades made to a Mauser action when sporterizing. Looks like a large ring Mauser action. Definately need a cerrosafe casting of the chamber to know the caliber. If the bore is as neglected as badly as the exterior finish, the gun is a basket case. Receiver could be refinished and used as the basis of a custom rifle.

Dillinger? Where are you?

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 02-18-2010, 02:26 PM   #4

Liked 622 Times on 427 Posts
Likes Given: 619

There are a few things wrong w/ that action being a large ring 98. 1st the ring itself should protrude and not be the same diameter as the rest of the action.
The block on the front of the action does not exist, it is flat. The bolt does look correct for a 98 action. It seems to be a small ring 98. FN produced these before producing the large ring. The missing block is still odd.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 02-18-2010, 03:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Maynard Buehler Sporterized 03a3 or m98 is what it looks like to me.

Looks like a timney trigger on that sucker. You said it looks like a 22 caliber but fits a 30-06 in the bolt. I may have been a wildcat Maynard came up with based on the 250 savage called the 220 magnum, sounds like a precursor to the 22-250 to me.

No caliber stamped on the barrel? get yourself some Cerrosafe BROWNELLS : CERROSAFE CHAMBER CASTING ALLOY - World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools and cast the chamber.

Three Bolt Action Rifles -A) Maynard Buehler Sporterized U.S. 1917 Rifle with Scope, Ammunition and Documents

Yes the triger is a Timney trigger.

Old 02-18-2010, 04:21 PM   #6

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

It's a Mauser but a small ring. You need to cast the chamber as was stated. It's easy to do and available from Brownells. Look up Cerrosafe as robo said.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 02-18-2010, 05:52 PM   #7

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts

what puzzles me is the big chuck cutout of the side just forward of the bolt release. On the one picture it looks as though it was cut out and never blued after that.

Old 02-18-2010, 06:39 PM   #8

Liked 622 Times on 427 Posts
Likes Given: 619

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
what puzzles me is the big chuck cutout of the side just forward of the bolt release. On the one picture it looks as though it was cut out and never blued after that.
I thought the same thing. It looks larger than the normal thumb cut out. And it has no lips for chargers, Really odd

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 02-18-2010, 09:16 PM   #9

Here are two photos for size comparisons, one with my thumb and the second with a 230 ball 45 ACP.

Old 02-18-2010, 11:05 PM   #10

Liked 143 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 760

looks like a small ring turkish mauser to me.some turks had the cutouts in the receivers.well i have seen a few like this..def. have chamber casted before firing...those timney triggers are nice...

Last edited by m72law; 02-18-2010 at 11:22 PM.