need help selecting optics for new Remington 700 VTR
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > need help selecting optics for new Remington 700 VTR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2010, 03:44 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default need help selecting optics for new Remington 700 VTR

I just picked up a Remington 700 VTR in .308 in a private sale and now am stumped on which scope mounts, rings, and optics to go with it. I have heard you get what you pay for, but I am wondering where to spend the money and where I can actually save a few pennies here and there. I must admit I am new to bolt action and scopes so any ideas would be helpful. I have heard mixed reviews about the rifle, but I would like it to hit as close to 1 MOA at 100 yards, and if the SHTF scenario did occur be able to ID something as friend or foe at the same range (drive way is 1/10 a mile long).

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-16-2010, 04:20 AM   #2

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

This scope flat out rocks and is comparable to those costing more than twice as much. Schott Glass is the same as used by Zeiss, Schmidt Bender, Kahles, Swarovski, Hensoldt and other world class optics makers. 2.5-10 x 42 30mm Tactical First Focal Plane, MP-8 Dot Illuminated Reticule

These bases are excellent and much cheaper than their contemporaries. BROWNELLS : PICATINNY SCOPE BASE - World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools

And the IOR steel rings (From Valdada) are as good as any on the market, but can be found for about $100. Heavy Duty Tactical 30mm Rings (Low)

Plenty of excellent options on the market, but these are cost effective and world class.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 06-16-2010, 12:09 PM   #3

Liked 728 Times on 505 Posts
Likes Given: 758

I use Burris 2 piece mounts and rings on my Howa 1500, the same ones will fit your 700. They have been there for 15 years or so. I changed my scope from a 6-24x40mmAO to a 4-12x42mmAO Sightron SII to make it more practicle for hunting. Great glass for the money.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 06-17-2010, 10:46 PM   #4

I like the optics from Leupold, maybe you find some you like but, please stay away from the VXI and Rifleman lines, and the Conquest series from Zeiss are in my opinion also an excelent choice

Old 06-18-2010, 02:57 AM   #5

thanks for info guys, but here is another question, what is the difference between 1 piece, 2 piece, and standard mounts, also is steel mounts worth the extra $70?

Old 06-18-2010, 03:54 AM   #6

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by erik145 View Post
thanks for info guys, but here is another question, what is the difference between 1 piece, 2 piece, and standard mounts, also is steel mounts worth the extra $70?
One piece is more likely to remain in alignment, and adds some rigidity to the action when mounted properly.

Two piece mounts allow better access to the ejection port, and may accommodate scope tubes of longer/shorter length easier.

Redfield/Leupold type mounts that have the windage screw adjustments offer gross scope movement without using up your windage in the scope, but they also add lateral torque to the scope tube which is never a good idea in a precision optical instrument that needs to be straight. Better on older rifles and sporterized MilSurps. Most newer rifles don't need them. They have a clean look, but are not as robust or solid as a good Picatinny setup.

This is a very abbreviated response. However you decide to go, you will be well served to lapp your scope rings to insure they are straight and do not apply stress to the scope. Also, torque all screws correctly and evenly.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."