Need help with scopes for a Rempington 700 - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Need help with scopes for a Rempington 700

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2012, 06:44 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Cary,IL
Posts: 59
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleSix View Post
Jack,

I get an error with the second link, can you check it?

.
Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxuser3890 View Post
I have about the same scope on my rifle except it is 3-9 x 40. That is more than enough scope to shoot 200 yards if you get the chance.

Edit: I meant the first scope the second is a dead link.
Fixed the second link it should work now. If not here it is again http://www.opticsplanet.net/simmons-protarget-3-12x40-17-hmr-turrets-matte-rifle-scope.html
__________________

Why carry? I'd rather have it and not need it than not have it and need it.

JackofTrades is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:41 PM   #32
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
EagleSix's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Northeast,Arizona
Posts: 358
Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Default

Jack,

There is something strange about both the scopes you have linked to, the Bushnell Banner and the Simmons ProTarget. The elevation knobs turn backward from other traditional scopes. This doesn't make a difference as far as learning and using the specific scope, but might be a huge hindrance when and if you were to transition to other high end scopes.

I would suggest looking at a different brand, the Hawke scopes (although there are many others) seem to be giving good service and are probably in the budget you are looking for. You might want to check for them at Wayfair: http://www.wayfair.com/keyword.php?keyword=rifle+scopes&ust=&dpthead=&com mand=dosearch

Edit: update - I talked with a customer service rep at Bushnell (which owns Simmons), who confirmed the elevation turrets on all Simmons and Bushnell scopes work backwards (to me). Therefore I recommended above to look at something else. Hawke and Tasco popped into my mind for an expensive scope. The Hawke turrets work normally, but I wanted to confirm with Tasco because I thought I remember someone telling me Bushnell bought them out. That is correct, Bushnell makes Bushnell, Tasco, Simmons, and Millet scopes. So, I spoke with a customer service rep at Tasco (really Bushnell!!). She didn't know, but checked with a supervisor. He was very familiar with all the product lines. She said (he said), there are models across all their product lines which may work normally or may work backward.......it is model dependent!!! She could not list the models.

I work with Night Force, US Optics, Redfield and Leupold scopes, with a few other import lines. I haven't used or worked with either of these product lines, Bushnell, Tasco, Millet, or Simmons, in a long time. Actually I have never worked with Simmons and Millet as their reputation has been substandard, for my purposes. The Bushnell and Tasco scopes I have used in the past (over 10 years ago) have always worked normally. The Tasco Super Sniper series (which really isn't Tasco anymore) does and always has worked normal.

.

__________________
Best Regards.......Eagle Six
http://tactrain.net

Last edited by EagleSix; 05-24-2012 at 08:20 PM. Reason: Update turret information
EagleSix is offline  
JackofTrades Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 11:21 PM   #33
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 0
Liked 22190 Times on 12450 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackofTrades View Post
Well the .17 HMR round has caught my interest, so I've spent most if not all my free time today looking at a lot of rifles that are chambered for this round. It does seem like the Savage 93r17 is one of the best reviewed guns for this bullet. So lets put this as a possible situation, if I was to buy myself a Savage 93r17, and get one with a bull barrel on it for target shooting, does this or this seem like a decent enough scope for 50yd target shooting? If not what are some other decent, yet not expensive (at max $200) scopes for this gun and this usage?

Fixed second link
Jack, i too will recommend the Savage M93r17. very accurate and decently priced. i changed out the crappy synthetic stock on mine for a Boyd's laminated stock, used the Rifle Basix sear and put a BSA Sweet 17 6-18x40 scope on it. yes, it does shoot very accurately!
laminate-stocks-010.jpg  
__________________
Axxe55 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 11:24 PM   #34
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: fordland,missouri
Posts: 11,099
Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55

Jack, i too will recommend the Savage M93r17. very accurate and decently priced. i changed out the crappy synthetic stock on mine for a Boyd's laminated stock, used the Rifle Basix sear and put a BSA Sweet 17 6-18x40 scope on it. yes, it does shoot very accurately!
Great looking rifle jonas
__________________
Marlinman is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 04:40 AM   #35
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Cary,IL
Posts: 59
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleSix View Post
Jack,

There is something strange about both the scopes you have linked to, the Bushnell Banner and the Simmons ProTarget. The elevation knobs turn backward from other traditional scopes. This doesn't make a difference as far as learning and using the specific scope, but might be a huge hindrance when and if you were to transition to other high end scopes.

I would suggest looking at a different brand, the Hawke scopes (although there are many others) seem to be giving good service and are probably in the budget you are looking for. You might want to check for them at Wayfair: http://www.wayfair.com/keyword.php?keyword=rifle+scopes&ust=&dpthead=&com mand=dosearch

Edit: update - I talked with a customer service rep at Bushnell (which owns Simmons), who confirmed the elevation turrets on all Simmons and Bushnell scopes work backwards (to me). Therefore I recommended above to look at something else. Hawke and Tasco popped into my mind for an expensive scope. The Hawke turrets work normally, but I wanted to confirm with Tasco because I thought I remember someone telling me Bushnell bought them out. That is correct, Bushnell makes Bushnell, Tasco, Simmons, and Millet scopes. So, I spoke with a customer service rep at Tasco (really Bushnell!!). She didn't know, but checked with a supervisor. He was very familiar with all the product lines. She said (he said), there are models across all their product lines which may work normally or may work backward.......it is model dependent!!! She could not list the models.

I work with Night Force, US Optics, Redfield and Leupold scopes, with a few other import lines. I haven't used or worked with either of these product lines, Bushnell, Tasco, Millet, or Simmons, in a long time. Actually I have never worked with Simmons and Millet as their reputation has been substandard, for my purposes. The Bushnell and Tasco scopes I have used in the past (over 10 years ago) have always worked normally. The Tasco Super Sniper series (which really isn't Tasco anymore) does and always has worked normal.

.
I'm not too sure of what exactly normal is for the knobs, I'll take a stab at it and guess that when you want to adjust your sights to the right you would turn it to the right? Now I did look into a few brands that you and axxe suggested. Did a little narrowring down, and US Optics, obviously was way, way, way out of my price range . I looked on that wayfair site, at scopes, and the only ones that were left that were in my price range and my usage were hawke, so long story shot I compared two different scopes:

Hawke Optics Sport HD IR 3-9x40 AO Rifle Scope and BSA Optics Matte Black Sweet 17 3-12X40 Riflescope

Now if those two scopes are alright I think I might go with the Hawke. The BSA did give me more zoom, but I don't think I'll ever need a 12x zoom, also I think I would like the mil-dot reticle on the Hawke more than plain crosshairs on the BSA. I think those both would work with a .17 HMR rifle. Which now brings me to my next, stupid, yet quick question. What kind of scope rings do I need to get? Still a noob to this stuff, but after doing a bit a reading, I have the general idea of what to look for in a scope.
__________________

Why carry? I'd rather have it and not need it than not have it and need it.

JackofTrades is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 05:59 AM   #36
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
linuxuser3890's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Jonesboro,Arkansas
Posts: 278
Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Both of those scopes have 1 inch bodies so all you need is 1 inch rings for the model of gun that u get. It actually can vary from model to model so what ever you get search for that.

__________________
linuxuser3890 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 02:18 PM   #37
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
EagleSix's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Northeast,Arizona
Posts: 358
Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Default

You should really wait on the rings. The rings are more specific to the type of bases, or mount, you will use. Unless I know exactly what rings I will use, that fit all the parameters, I will pick them up at a dealer, because I can try them on the rifle with the scope. Buying them over the internet is tricky.

Unless you are buying an inexpensive 22 LR with a tip-off type mount (groves machined into the top of the receiver), the rifle you buy should come drilled and tapped for scope bases. The type scope bases will determine the mount style for the rings. You also usually have a choice of the type of ring mount by selecting specific bases which fit your drilled and tapped holes in your receiver.

You may want Weaver style bases, or picatinny style bases (almost the same as Weaver and sometimes interchangeable), quick-change (there are many types of these, Redfield, Leupold).......but more importantly is the ring height. The ring height determines how high the scope will be positioned above the bore line. In general, you want the scope to be positioned as low and close to the bore line as the objective lens bell housing will allow, but also, how does this height position fit your eye when it is positioned on the stock (cheek weld). There is also the position the scope needs to be mounted in relationship to being more forward or rearward to obtain the perfect eye relief. Sometimes an off-set ring is needed in the front or rear to work around the scope shape to obtain this perfect position (usually not, but until you get the gun and scope, you will not know for sure). And, the height of the scope can also be adjusted by the height of the base(s)......some rifles (some that are Savages) come with bases already installed. The scope base could be a 2 piece unit or a 1 piece.

Most folks who buy a rifle and scope do so by the bells and whistles of the gun and scope and pay little attention to the rings and bases. The rings and bases have more to do with how the gun and scope combination fit the shooter. If your gun/scope fits you better, you will shoot it better, learn easier and faster. I would recommend holding off on the rings and bases until you have the gun and scope in hand.

I would also venture off to a gun store or sporting goods store that sold guns and scopes and try a scope or two. Hold them, look through them, adjust them. You may elect to buy the scope from the dealer, if so great, but what you will see, by looking through them, is that some you like, some you don't. Sometimes it's not by price or name reputation, but just because I see better through model 'X', than model 'Y'. Get your hands on a few before you buy, if you can. You may have already done this, but if you haven't, sometimes there is a big difference between brands that you can determine just holding them up and looking through.

And, finally (I'm off for a weekend of training, so I can comment more next week)......if you are going to use the MIL-DOT ranging capability, or want to learn it, the Hawke 3-9x zoom model is not the best choice. The MIL-DOT ranging process (in this scope brand) is based on 10x which this scope is 1 power short of, so you need to convert everything by 90 percent and that is a big handicap when trying to learn as well as apply the MIL ranging system. If you want to learn MIL's (which I highly recommend), look for those scope that have a MIL-DOT reticle (of course) with a 10 power setting.....like 1.8-10x, or 3.5-10x, or 6-12x, etc. It's not actually the 10x power setting, except in some of the less expensive scopes like the Hawke series. But, that is the price range you are looking at.

.

.

__________________
Best Regards.......Eagle Six
http://tactrain.net
EagleSix is offline  
JackofTrades Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 09:03 AM   #38
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Cary,IL
Posts: 59
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

I gotta ask you savage 93r17 owners, are the weaver style scope bases that come with the gun removable or are they part of the receiver?

__________________

Why carry? I'd rather have it and not need it than not have it and need it.

JackofTrades is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 12:20 PM   #39
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 0
Liked 22190 Times on 12450 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackofTrades View Post
I gotta ask you savage 93r17 owners, are the weaver style scope bases that come with the gun removable or are they part of the receiver?
they attach just like any other base. each has two Torx head screws that attach them to the receiver. they will come with them on the models with out sights, but may have to be bought seperately if the model has open sights mounted. MidwayUSA or MidSouth Shooters Supply carries them if you have need to buy a set.
__________________
Axxe55 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
scopes cam1978 Optics & Mounts 17 05-19-2012 08:04 PM
Scopes!! JuniorRanger General Rifle Discussion 1 02-27-2012 06:44 AM
New to scopes - what should I see? corrinavatan Optics & Mounts 1 12-02-2010 01:56 PM
scopes stuntman19832000 Firearm Accessories & Gear 9 08-21-2010 12:30 AM
Scopes CountryAssMutha Optics & Mounts 21 01-29-2010 07:35 PM