Need help with scopes for a Rempington 700 - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion >

Need help with scopes for a Rempington 700

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2012, 11:35 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackofTrades View Post
I've heard many great things about Remington 700s, I have also thought about getting one in 5.56/.223, but still most Remington 700s don't come iron sights, so I would still need to get a scope or optics of some sort.
I agree, most, Remington 700 models don't come with iron sights. However some do, and some without iron sights come from Remington with scopes, rings and bases. If you want a hunting rifle, there are many models offered in a sporting design, than the SPS. I guess you are not going to answer the question. The answer does/may however, effect your choice in scopes. That was the reason for the question, to help you select the type of scope best fitted for your purpose.

Old 05-22-2012, 11:45 PM   #12

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleSix View Post
I agree, most, Remington 700 models don't come with iron sights. However some do, and some without iron sights come from Remington with scopes, rings and bases. If you want a hunting rifle, there are many models offered in a sporting design, than the SPS. I guess you are not going to answer the question. The answer does/may however, effect your choice in scopes. That was the reason for the question, to help you select the type of scope best fitted for your purpose.

Sorry, right now, I plan on just using it for shooting some targets, not hunting or competition, just for plain old fun.

Old 05-22-2012, 11:52 PM   #13
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22314 Times on 12477 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

if you are only able to shoot at 150 feet, a 308, IMO is a waste of time. get a 22lr in a Ruger 10/22 or a Marlin M60 and go have some fun. but buying a 308 aand only able to shoot at that short a distance is a waste of money, ammo and time. it will grow very boring quickly and start adding up in ammo costs.

Old 05-22-2012, 11:57 PM   #14

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
if you are only able to shoot at 150 feet, a 308, IMO is a waste of time. get a 22lr in a Ruger 10/22 or a Marlin M60 and go have some fun. but buying a 308 aand only able to shoot at that short a distance is a waste of money, ammo and time. it will grow very boring quickly and start adding up in ammo costs.
I have a 10/22, I love it, its a great gun, but I want something with a little more power, as I said before I could also get a Remington 700 in .223/5.56 if i wanted.

Last edited by JackofTrades; 05-23-2012 at 12:02 AM.

Old 05-22-2012, 11:59 PM   #15

Quote:
Sorry, right now, I plan on just using it for shooting some targets, not hunting or competition, just for plain old fun.
.....OK, I understand your stated purpose. JJ in an earlier post suggested a Nikon scope.....they are pretty good, but way to good for "just for plain old fun". I would recommend get online at CheaperThanDirt and ordering anyone of their many 4x-6x or 3-9x scopes, which come with rings, for less than fifty bucks (maybe even as low as $39.99).....add to the order a set of Weaver bases for about $15.99 and use the rest of your budget money for ammo and have fun!

Old 05-23-2012, 12:27 AM   #16

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
.....OK, I understand your stated purpose. JJ in an earlier post suggested a Nikon scope.....they are pretty good, but way to good for "just for plain old fun". I would recommend get online at CheaperThanDirt and ordering anyone of their many 4x-6x or 3-9x scopes, which come with rings, for less than fifty bucks (maybe even as low as $39.99).....add to the order a set of Weaver bases for about $15.99 and use the rest of your budget money for ammo and have fun!

So something like this should be decent enough, since I am shooting a such a short range, so I will need a scope with an adjustable parallax.

Old 05-23-2012, 12:38 AM   #17

Quote:
So something like this should be decent enough, since I am shooting a such a short range, so I will need a scope with an adjustable parallax.
NO! ........actually Jack, I was just pulling your leg, like I think you are pulling mine, about wanting a Remington 700 SPS Varmint 308, just to fun shoot. I've helped many students and shooters select rifle equipment and gear over the years, it's what I do. However I have this feeling you want others to do a lot of foot work for you......or your trolling. If I'm wrong, I will gladly apologize, but for now, maybe some of the other members will help you and I'll stand aside out of the way.

Best Regards.......Eagle Six

Old 05-23-2012, 01:03 AM   #18

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
NO! ........actually Jack, I was just pulling your leg, like I think you are pulling mine, about wanting a Remington 700 SPS Varmint 308, just to fun shoot. I've helped many students and shooters select rifle equipment and gear over the years, it's what I do. However I have this feeling you want others to do a lot of foot work for you......or your trolling. If I'm wrong, I will gladly apologize, but for now, maybe some of the other members will help you and I'll stand aside out of the way.

Best Regards.......Eagle Six
Fine **** it I give up, sorry I'm kinda in the suburbs of Chicago where they aren't flowing with out door ranges, I'm lucky enough that they finally opened a range that allows rifles above a pistol caliber.

Old 05-23-2012, 01:19 AM   #19

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

If your really limited to 150ft look at something smaller. .223 would be ok but 150ft is still really short range for that too. A 22lr, 22 Mag, 17HMR would do great at 150 feet and would be cheaper to get and shoot. If you go with a 223 id look at AR15 or Mini 14.

Old 05-23-2012, 10:00 AM   #20

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

To me it kind of sounds like you are wanting a bolt gun because you are interested in the precision stuff but don't know what to get. Correct me if I'm wrong but is that why you picked a 700 in 308? If that is what you are after and you want to sort of break into that type of shooting in your situation (by that I mean short range and no hunting). I say go and buy a savage 93r17 BVT. Those can be found with a good scope already mounted for 500-550 if you look around. That rifle is stone cold deadly accurate and the 17 hmr ammo is cheap yet more powerful than a 22. With that you can practice safely at the range and hunt small game later if the opportunity presents itself.
I have that rifle in my collection and will tell you that I have had the best luck with Hornady v-max ammo which is about $14 for 50 rounds.