Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Need help with scopes for a Rempington 700 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/need-help-scopes-rempington-700-a-64933/)

JackofTrades 05-22-2012 02:30 AM

Need help with scopes for a Rempington 700

Might as well change the topic a bit since I have been convinced that the Remington 700 is overkill at this range, so instead what rifle would be good at this range?

I plan on buying a Remington 700 SPS varmint rifle in .308 win to just bring to the range. Around me I don't have any out door ranges, and the only one that allows rifles has a 150 ft range. So that being said I need help finding a decent, and affordable scope. This is my first time every even looking into buying scopes, so I really don't know what manufactures are good/reliable/affordable, nor do I even know what I am looking for when looking at a scope.

So what I am asking you guys for help is to maybe post some links to some decent scopes that are within $150 - $200 that can be accurate for the 150 ft distance and a little more just in case I find another range to go to that has a larger distance. I will also probably need help find the essentials to attach the scope (base and rings). While on the subject of this gun might as well throw in bipods as well. Even though I might not beable to fit it in right now, but eventually. Thanks in advance guys.

fmj 05-22-2012 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackofTrades (Post 810341)
I plan on buying a Remington 700 SPS varmint rifle in .308 win to just bring to the range. Around me I don't have any out door ranges, and the only one that allows rifles has a 150 ft range. So that being said I need help finding a decent, and affordable scope. This is my first time every even looking into buying scopes, so I really don't know what manufactures are good/reliable/affordable, nor do I even know what I am looking for when looking at a scope.

So what I am asking you guys for help is to maybe post some links to some decent scopes that are within $150 - $200 that can be accurate for the 150 ft distance and a little more just in case I find another range to go to that has a larger distance. I will also probably need help find the essentials to attach the scope (base and rings). While on the subject of this gun might as well throw in bipods as well. Even though I might not beable to fit it in right now, but eventually. Thanks in advance guys.

150 ft!!? or 150 YDS??

At 150 feet a scope is not necessary!

At 150 feet the .308 isnt even out of 2nd gear (so to speak)

Marlinman 05-22-2012 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fmj

150 ft!!? or 150 YDS??

Forget 2nd, it hasn't even up 1st. At that distance you would be better suited w an older rifle from a reputable LGS that has iron sights

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

Retaks 05-22-2012 03:28 PM

You need to find a outdoor range for that rifle. 100yards minimum but if it was me i would prefer to have 500 yards to stretch it out a little.

jjfuller1 05-22-2012 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackofTrades (Post 810341)

nikon pro staff 3x9 scopes are good and fit right into your budget. if it is 150feet. as said your better of with something else. but its up to you.

EagleSix 05-22-2012 04:05 PM

Jack,

I know you stated, just to bring to the range, but I'm asking to clarify. To bring a 308 to an indoor 50 yard range seems to be a bit over kill, when a 22 LR might provide more enjoyable training!

On the other hand, if ultimately you want a 308 to shoot longer distances in the field, or at an outdoor range with some other purpose in mind, it might be helpful to declare that purpose before selecting a scope.

The rifle you intend to buy, may be capable of MOA accuracy out of the box with match grade ammo. If so, it is also capable of accuracy at reasonable size targets out to 800 yards+. If it is your intention of having a rifle, scope, ammo combination with mid to long distance capability, you may want to consider raising your scope budget for a higher quality glass, as well......depending on the glass, you may need long range bases, and the rings also may need consideration of rigid steel design, rather than inexpensive aluminum......and not last or least, consideration of what design reticle and windage/elevation knobs.

JackofTrades 05-22-2012 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fmj (Post 810611)
150 ft!!? or 150 YDS??

I know its a big caliber especially for the distance it is at, but one of the guns I've always wanted was a Remington 700, I've looked into things like AR15s but there are so many options and different models to those that its over load on my mind.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retaks (Post 810719)
You need to find a outdoor range for that rifle. 100yards minimum but if it was me i would prefer to have 500 yards to stretch it out a little.

Believe me I wish there was a larger range near me, but the closest one to me is like 1 or 2 hours away in Wisconsin, and this new range is the only one that allows me to have a rifle that isn't a pistol caliber in this area.

Quote:

Originally Posted by EagleSix (Post 810752)
Jack,

I know you stated, just to bring to the range, but I'm asking to clarify. To bring a 308 to an indoor 50 yard range seems to be a bit over kill, when a 22 LR might provide more enjoyable training!

On the other hand, if ultimately you want a 308 to shoot longer distances in the field, or at an outdoor range with some other purpose in mind, it might be helpful to declare that purpose before selecting a scope.

The rifle you intend to buy, may be capable of MOA accuracy out of the box with match grade ammo. If so, it is also capable of accuracy at reasonable size targets out to 800 yards+. If it is your intention of having a rifle, scope, ammo combination with mid to long distance capability, you may want to consider raising your scope budget for a higher quality glass, as well......depending on the glass, you may need long range bases, and the rings also may need consideration of rigid steel design, rather than inexpensive aluminum......and not last or least, consideration of what design reticle and windage/elevation knobs.

I have a ruger 10/22, I've thought about doing some custom work to it, but I want something a little more than that. I would also love to do other things with a .308 but me living in Illinois sucks, can't hunt with high powered rifles, so they only thing there is to do is bring it to a range, and as I previously said there are no outdoor ranges near me.

EagleSix 05-22-2012 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackofTrades (Post 811134)
I have a ruger 10/22, I've thought about doing some custom work to it, but I want something a little more than that. I would also love to do other things with a .308 but me living in Illinois sucks, can't hunt with high powered rifles, so they only thing there is to do is bring it to a range, and as I previously said there are no outdoor ranges near me.

1 to 2 hours doesn't sound that bad. Once or twice a month I drive 3.5 hours, 1 way, to the range (but then that is a loaded statement....). So, you still have not answered the question, why that gun/caliber? If ultimately you may hunt some day, why the heavy Remington varmint barrel, why not a more traditional sporting tapper barrel.....lighter to carry in the woods?

JackofTrades 05-22-2012 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EagleSix (Post 811158)
1 to 2 hours doesn't sound that bad. Once or twice a month I drive 3.5 hours, 1 way, to the range (but then that is a loaded statement....). So, you still have not answered the question, why that gun/caliber? If ultimately you may hunt some day, why the heavy Remington varmint barrel, why not a more traditional sporting tapper barrel.....lighter to carry in the woods?

I've heard many great things about Remington 700s, I have also thought about getting one in 5.56/.223, but still most Remington 700s don't come iron sights, so I would still need to get a scope or optics of some sort.

TLuker 05-22-2012 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackofTrades (Post 811134)
I know its a big caliber especially for the distance it is at, but one of the guns I've always wanted was a Remington 700, I've looked into things like AR15s but there are so many options and different models to those that its over load on my mind.

Believe me I wish there was a larger range near me, but the closest one to me is like 1 or 2 hours away in Wisconsin, and this new range is the only one that allows me to have a rifle that isn't a pistol caliber in this area.

You really need to be talking to a farmer about starting a shooting club with a range. Charge for membership and the farmer would make a few bucks and you would have a place to shoot. :)