Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Need help picking first rifle (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/need-help-picking-first-rifle-30475/)

michigan0626 08-15-2010 10:31 PM

Need help picking first rifle

Looking to purchase my first rifle. This will be my first bolt action. I have experience shoot M-16s. Here my post I posted in savageshooters.com forum

Quote:

Need help picking ot a rifle. I think Ive narrowed it down. Here are the choices and my reason for considering them:

116 FLHSS- $778 .338 Win Mag Left Handed AccuStock

116 FHSAK- $864 .338 Win Mag AccuStock Muzzlebrake

116 FXP3- $760 .338 Win Mag Scope

I like the FXP3 because its a complete rifle relatively cheap. I want the most accurate .338 Win Mag that Savage makes first and fore most. But is the AccuStock that much more accurate to pick it over a scope. The 2 with the accustock cost more than the FXP3 with the scope. I see that as Savage saying the accustock is worth more than the scope. And if the accustock is worth it, would you pick left handed over a muzzlebreak. Never shot a bolt action before. Is the comfort of ease of use with a left handed bolt better than the comfort from having reduced recoil from a pretty stout round. Ive heard its actually faster to shoot with the bolt on the same side as your face.

I plan on using it to hunt everything, deer, elk, moose, and maybe bear. Ive heard its on the low end for bear. I also plan on trying out some long range shooting, to include long range hunting. Why let a trophy slip by when its 600-800 yards away. So, if you guys guys help me pick one that has the accustock, I now need help picking a scope. Ive thought about sending it in to get fitted with a huskamaw scope, but thats 1200 bucks. Id like to keep it under $1500 for the complete package, Id REALLY like to keep it under $1200. Aslo, would you suggest the Berger VLD bullets, Sierra, or something else for a blend of accuracy and hunting capabilities.

bgeddes 08-15-2010 10:45 PM

The only thing to consider is the quality of scope that comes on the package guns. Typically they are mediocre at best. You'll need a good one to take the beating a .338 Mag can deliver. That said, I would urge you to shoot something in that caliber or similar. It is a far cry from the very mild recoil of an AR15/M16.

Depending on how often you plan on hunting big game (moose, elk, bear) and shooting for practice, another caliber may work and be easier on the wallet for regular practice. A reasonable compromise would be .30-06 or .308, even if only for the cost of ammo.

Plan on going fancy on the scope. Good glass makes good guns shoot great, cheap glass makes great guns shoot poorly.

michigan0626 08-15-2010 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bgeddes (Post 332322)
The only thing to consider is the quality of scope that comes on the package guns. Typically they are mediocre at best. You'll need a good one to take the beating a .338 Mag can deliver. That said, I would urge you to shoot something in that caliber or similar. It is a far cry from the very mild recoil of an AR15/M16.

Depending on how often you plan on hunting big game (moose, elk, bear) and shooting for practice, another caliber may work and be easier on the wallet for regular practice. A reasonable compromise would be .30-06 or .308, even if only for the cost of ammo.

Plan on going fancy on the scope. Good glass makes good guns shoot great, cheap glass makes great guns shoot poorly.

Yeah, Ive always heard to spend at least as much on a scope as the cost of the rifle. That right there would bring it to $1500 total. But would you go with the muzzlebreak, or left hand model??

cpttango30 08-15-2010 11:59 PM

You go and buy a cheap gun and a fancy scope. I will buy a decent gun and a decent scope and out shoot you every time.

Why a 338? a 338 win mag is not much of a long range round. maybe a 338 RUM or 338 edge.

If you just have to have a mag I would go with a 7mm STW or a 300 win mag.

muzzle break. Don't shoot next to me I will piss in your beer cooler. I can't stand people shooting next to me with a break.

Plus 338 wm is way over kill for deer unless you are shooting radioactive freak deer.

You say this is your first rifle. I would say for you to get something a tad smaller to learn on. Military BRM is ok, but honing your shooting skills means putting rounds down range. Shoot a 338wm a lot is EXPENSIVE and hard on your body.

Why on earth do you want to hunt animals at 600 to 800 yards. Do you know how to read wind or mirage? How about bullet drop? If the animal is moving where do you need to shoot to hit it at a walk 800 yards away? To me people who hunt long range are just to lazy to make a proper stand or stalk.

If you have the money to put a Nightforce or S&B or a Swarovski or any other ultra high end glass then go for it. Just know it is not necessary to spend so much to get a good quality scope. I spent $500 on each of my last three scopes and all three rifles shoot great.

jpattersonnh 08-16-2010 12:29 AM

If your a lefty, get a lefty! For whitetail a simple .308 will do. Get good glass, you won't rerget it. I've spent $600.00 on a real good 300 yard rifle w/ optics. $350.00 for a real nice Husqvana 1600 (small ring '98) in 6.5x55, Pentax 4x32 game seeker scope, and a custom sling that I can actually use. All the parts need to fit!

michigan0626 08-16-2010 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cpttango30 (Post 332378)
You go and buy a cheap gun and a fancy scope. I will buy a decent gun and a decent scope and out shoot you every time.

Why a 338? a 338 win mag is not much of a long range round. maybe a 338 RUM or 338 edge. Its not? How about 300WSM

If you just have to have a mag I would go with a 7mm STW or a 300 win mag.

muzzle break. Don't shoot next to me I will piss in your beer cooler. I can't stand people shooting next to me with a break. Flash or the noise?
Plus 338 wm is way over kill for deer unless you are shooting radioactive freak deer. I dont wanna buy a gun for every game. There was a choice between 338 win mag or 300 wsm, moose are tough animals, so I chose to err on the side of caution.
You say this is your first rifle. I would say for you to get something a tad smaller to learn on. Military BRM is ok, but honing your shooting skills means putting rounds down range. Shoot a 338wm a lot is EXPENSIVE and hard on your body.

Why on earth do you want to hunt animals at 600 to 800 yards. Do you know how to read wind or mirage? How about bullet drop? If the animal is moving where do you need to shoot to hit it at a walk 800 yards away? To me people who hunt long range are just to lazy to make a proper stand or stalk.
I can see your point. When I was younger, I used to think that people who used stands were lazy and cheated.

If you have the money to put a Nightforce or S&B or a Swarovski or any other ultra high end glass then go for it. Just know it is not necessary to spend so much to get a good quality scope. I spent $500 on each of my last three scopes and all three rifles shoot great.I would say the most Im willing to spend on a scope now is $300-$700. Cheaper the better without getting into the $h*tty scopes.

I appreciate your input.

jpattersonnh 08-16-2010 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michigan0626 (Post 332407)

I appreciate your input.

You are in need of some major input! I like your blue inserts to Tango's post.
.338 is over kill. .300WM is a great round, but I still dare you to shoot 100 in a day. It is still over kill.
Moose are not tough animals. Believe me. A good 7mm (.08 or x57)or .308 will take care of them.
My advice is get a good used rifle in 6.5x55, 7x57, .308, .30-06, 8x57 and give it a good scope. Seems you are talking about a subject you don't really know much about. Start slow, and move up as funds are there. Bigger is not always better.

joshfireart 08-16-2010 01:23 AM

the 338 wm is a great round i shoot one. it is a hand full for sure, if your dead set on getting a 338 wm you will never need moor gun in the US. I love shooting mine and would not try to put a hundred rounds down range in one day but i can and do put 50. im a little sore the next day. as far as a good scope gose a 500.00 mark should get you a great hunting scope i like the 3X9s. And what has not been said that factory ammo is $70.00 a box give or take a dollar.so it not cheap to feed. I reload every thing i shoot and have long since recouped my cost. GOOD LUCK

bgeddes 08-16-2010 01:32 AM

There is really nothing wrong with the big giant rounds, other than they will beat up you and your wallet. Many moose have been taken with cartridges like the 7mms, -06s, and -08s. The top shelf hunters (not me) will tell you almost any decent sized round, WELL PLACED, is effective.

How do you ensure good placement? You shoot a lot and know your rifle. That means practicing at 100, 200, 300 yards and maybe more. This requires a lot of ammo. Shooting a less expensive round and being an ace shooter with your rifle will mean just as good of a hunt, maybe better, than using a gun you have not practiced with as much as you'd like, and potentially missing that once in a lifetime shot.

Bottom line is that it's your money. You can buy a $1450 rifle, add a $35 scope for all anyone cares. If you're happy, that's all that matters.

freefall 08-16-2010 01:39 AM

.338 is probably the most common round up here, 30-06, .375 H&H and the various .300s are all popular too. If I didn't live here I would probably be well content with an 06, for an occasional visitor a .300 is definitely plenty. You have to have a guide to hunt grizzlies and he will be packing something with a large hole in the end.