Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Need help identifying this rifle (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/need-help-identifying-rifle-28763/)

Gloves 06-27-2010 05:02 AM

Need help identifying this rifle

I have this bolt action rifle. I have no idea what it is. I would love to find out.
It seems nearly every part on the rifle has some numbers on it.

I created a quick page with a lot of zoomable pictures to see if anyone can
identify anything on it that would let me know what type of rifle it is.

At the very least, does anyone know what cartridge would fit?

http://www.glovesandclover.com/images/old-rifle <-- please take a good look.

http://www.glovesandclover.com/image...tery-rifle.jpg

TexasPatriot 06-27-2010 06:36 AM

Identification

The Mauser Model 1871 adopted as the Gewehr 71 or Infanterie-Gewehr 71, chambered in 11 x 60 mm R. Single shot and state of the art back in the day. I have 2 in my collection. Nice craftsmanship. My two examples are in about NRA 80% condition and still group well at 100 yards with my reloads and cast bullets. I've always been a battle rifle freak and have been collecting since 1973 when I was old enough to write the letters and haul enough hay, build enough fence, and work enouigh spring calves to pay for the things. My first addition was a Gewehr 88 I bought for 25 bucks, 2 bucks s/h to my front door. Started on Mosins after that, then more mausers. Followed by U.S. issue. Found these two at an estate sale. Take care of the old man...he's been around a while and deserves respect.

Gloves 06-28-2010 04:48 AM

Fantastic! Thanks for the help! If i can find some of that ammo that fits, i'll try to clean
it up and see how it works! We own some 4 other guns and this is the one that gets to
be on the wall in the living room!

This originally came with a bayonette but had been lost before it got to me. My wife loves
all the crown stamps.

Fisherking 06-28-2010 03:52 PM

I have a 71/84 repeater built in 1887. Midway has brass for it at about $65.00 for twenty rounds. be shure to aneal the brass before you run it through your sizing die. Have fun
F.K.
P.S. Where was it made. My comes from Danzig which is not there any more, totaly obliterated during the second world war.

TexasPatriot 06-28-2010 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gloves (Post 307219)
Fantastic! Thanks for the help! If i can find some of that ammo that fits, i'll try to clean
it up and see how it works! We own some 4 other guns and this is the one that gets to
be on the wall in the living room!

This originally came with a bayonette but had been lost before it got to me. My wife loves
all the crown stamps.

Here's what you need to get started. First, have the headspace checked by your local 'smith...then give it a cleaning. Not too much, just get it back to good condition. Spring checks, etc. Remember, a little goes a long way with these old war horses. Keep the loads on the conservative side. I use ONLY black powder and clean with boiling soapy water every day for 3 days after shooting and intending to store them. I also wipe the bores down with Gun Grease. Place a peanut butter jar, or what have you, in your safe/case and store them muzzle down to keep the grease and oils from seeping into the stock.

Brass: Bertram Reloading Brass 43 Mauser (11x60mm Rimmed Mauser, 11.15x60mm Rimmed Mauser) Box of 20 - MidwayUSA

Dies: Lee Pacesetter 2-Die Set 43 Mauser (11x60mm Rimmed Mauser, 11.15x60mm Rimmed Mauser) - MidwayUSA

Mould: Lyman 1-Cavity Bullet Mold #446110 43 Mauser (11x60mm Rimmed Mauser, 11.15x60mm Rimmed Mauser) (446 Diameter) 340 Grain Flat Nose - MidwayUSA

I cast, then size/lube the bullets. Anneal the case mouths with a propane torch. My bullet lube is a 50/50 mixture of beeswax and alox. I use enough Goex FFg to bring the level up to a slight compression when the bullet is seated. I forget the exact grain weight, having made a powder dipper out of an old 45/70 case. Remember too, to clean your bore after every half dozen or so rounds at the range. I keep a jug of water by the bench and a cotton swab on my brass rod. Just swab it out really well with water and run a couple dry patches soaked in WD 40 or whatever through the bore. Only take s a couple mins and prevents problems with bore fouling on those humid days we have in East Texas' tropical climate. Basically, just think ahead and be safe. Nothing like watching that plume of white smoke fill the air after the thump on the shoulder and going back to a era when things were a little simpler...

ScottG 06-29-2010 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fisherking (Post 307397)
P.S. Where was it made. My comes from Danzig which is not there any more, totaly obliterated during the second world war.

Well, not totally obliterated. It's called Gdansk now.

Gloves 06-30-2010 06:48 AM

Woa! Guys! Let's not go crazy here...
U are telling me I not only have to load my own ammo, I have to aneal the brass, forge the bullet, pack the powder, set the primer...

Is there no palce that'll sell me a box?

Would this work?
43 Mauser Obsolete Black Powder Cartridge Ammunition
Obsolete Rifle Ammo

Fisherking 06-30-2010 11:15 AM

Shure it will work but you are looking at $85- $100 a box of 20 with suplies running out.
F.K.