Need help deciding - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Need help deciding

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2013, 11:29 PM   #11
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 28,735
Liked 21578 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cblowe13 View Post
Get a Remington 770 .270 it gets the job done even with the cheap stock scope
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis View Post
Not a bad suggestion this.
the 770 is at best, and it's being very generous, a 300 yard hunting rifle. the smallest groups i have ever gotten out of any of the ones i have shot or the one i owned was a 1.5-2" group. the bolts bind and are sloppy, the trigger is heavy and gritty feeling and the stock is very flimsy. nothing about them is made for real accuracy. most of us refer to them as Minute Of Deer accuracy. if you needed a hunting rifle that you only planned on shooting once a year and at most maybe 20 rounds in a year and didn't want to spend and arm and a leg to buy, and weren't concerned with pinpoint accuracy, well it might suit your needs.

but given it's price point, there are much better, much more accurate and much better built rifles in the same price range. the Savage Axis, the Ruger American, the Marlin X7, ect..... then a person could always shop for a used Ruger M77 or a Remington M700 or a Weatherby Vangaurd, a Winchester M70 or many others.
__________________
Axxe55 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:56 PM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
bamashooter68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: cullman,alabama
Posts: 597
Liked 180 Times on 128 Posts
Likes Given: 129

Default

I have seen a 770 group under 1'' but have to say that it was by far the worst rifle Ive ever shot, seen, or even heard of.

If your limit is 600yrds anything from .243 on up is capable. My personal preference is a 30-06. I reload for it because I dont think you can get the full potential from most factory loads.

Whatever you go with dont skimp on quality of firearm or optics. Learning how to reload will tighten up your groups and save you money in the long run

__________________
bamashooter68 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:09 AM   #13
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 28,735
Liked 21578 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamashooter68 View Post
I have seen a 770 group under 1'' but have to say that it was by far the worst rifle Ive ever shot, seen, or even heard of.

If your limit is 600yrds anything from .243 on up is capable. My personal preference is a 30-06. I reload for it because I dont think you can get the full potential from most factory loads.

Whatever you go with dont skimp on quality of firearm or optics. Learning how to reload will tighten up your groups and save you money in the long run
i have heard of a few M770's that would group under an inch at 100 yards. but they are few and far between! so i would be naive to say they can't, but do know that they are the exception rather than the rule. the platform of the M770 is just not condusive of it being accurate. it was designed and made to be a cheap entry level hunting rifle. nothing more.
__________________
Axxe55 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:14 AM   #14
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
cblowe13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 583
Liked 82 Times on 59 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55

the 770 is at best, and it's being very generous, a 300 yard hunting rifle. the smallest groups i have ever gotten out of any of the ones i have shot or the one i owned was a 1.5-2" group. the bolts bind and are sloppy, the trigger is heavy and gritty feeling and the stock is very flimsy. nothing about them is made for real accuracy. most of us refer to them as Minute Of Deer accuracy. if you needed a hunting rifle that you only planned on shooting once a year and at most maybe 20 rounds in a year and didn't want to spend and arm and a leg to buy, and weren't concerned with pinpoint accuracy, well it might suit your needs.

but given it's price point, there are much better, much more accurate and much better built rifles in the same price range. the Savage Axis, the Ruger American, the Marlin X7, ect..... then a person could always shop for a used Ruger M77 or a Remington M700 or a Weatherby Vangaurd, a Winchester M70 or many others.
When you say 2 " do you mean 300 yard shots or 100? Cause I can knock out the same hole with my 770 at 100 the bolt was sticky but after 100 rounds and cleaning a lot it is beyond perfect for me! So do you think the savage axis is a better rifle?
__________________
cblowe13 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:22 AM   #15
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 28,735
Liked 21578 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cblowe13 View Post
When you say 2 " do you mean 300 yard shots or 100? Cause I can knock out the same hole with my 770 at 100 the bolt was sticky but after 100 rounds and cleaning a lot it is beyond perfect for me! So do you think the savage axis is a better rifle?
i meant 1.5-2" groups at 100 yards! that is not my idea of acceptable accuracy. if yours shoots well enough for you, then fine. but the rifle is cheaply made and not something i want to ever own again. i took a loss on a rifle i bought NIB and sold less than two months later, and was glad to be rid of it.

the Savage Axis is a much better rifle. smoother bolt, AccuTrigger and the classic Savage barrel nut arrangement. my biggest gripe on the Axis is the stock. it makes the rifle feel like a youth gun for me.
__________________
Axxe55 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:40 AM   #16
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
cblowe13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 583
Liked 82 Times on 59 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55

i meant 1.5-2" groups at 100 yards! that is not my idea of acceptable accuracy. if yours shoots well enough for you, then fine. but the rifle is cheaply made and not something i want to ever own again. i took a loss on a rifle i bought NIB and sold less than two months later, and was glad to be rid of it.

the Savage Axis is a much better rifle. smoother bolt, AccuTrigger and the classic Savage barrel nut arrangement. my biggest gripe on the Axis is the stock. it makes the rifle feel like a youth gun for me.
Yeah I know I love it and it works so why change! But I debated on that and the savage for a few months and just had to go with the Remington! But you can tell it is cheaply made I agree but to each is there own! I'm not an expert by any means so I love hearing about others experiences
__________________
cblowe13 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:53 AM   #17
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: The Edge of Darkness
Posts: 6,495
Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Default

Who can read an animal at 600 yds.? It matters not if it is Antelope or a Deer you can not score an animal correctly at that range. A rifle that shoots 2 minutes at 100 yds under controlled range conditions is not dependable at 600 yds?
A 2 minute rifle can not stay under 12" at that range. Hunting scopes that have 1 minutes wires at 100 yds. cover 6" at 600 yards. The scope center point covers 12".
So, throw a bullet that may hit inside 20" into area that is covered up by 12" of scope wire? Now is that not going to provide a humane kill?

__________________
nitestalker is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:17 AM   #18
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
tnel74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 73
Liked 11 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

It has already been established that shots at 600 yards while hunting is not good sportsmanship.

__________________
tnel74 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Deciding To Get My CCW XsV Semi-Auto Handguns 28 01-21-2013 07:35 PM
Help deciding what AR-15 to buy. thundermonty AR-15 Discussion 28 11-07-2012 09:39 PM
Need help deciding 7mmstw Optics & Mounts 5 04-18-2012 12:23 PM
well hello!, help on deciding what to buy randommj General Rifle Discussion 15 12-10-2009 07:39 PM
Need help deciding Duffy XD Forum 5 03-05-2008 12:50 AM