Need Help on Cleaning a Garand Chamber

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Need Help on Cleaning a Garand Chamber

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2010, 11:59 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Default Need Help on Cleaning a Garand Chamber

I have a chamber brush that I use to clean the chamber on my Garand and it works great. I've also been taking a Q tip and wrapping a couple of wet then dry patches around it, but it really doesn't do the job.

How can I swab it out well? What do you more experienced Garand guys do?

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-10-2010, 01:34 AM   #2

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Field stripping, here How to Field strip, clean and maintain the M1 Garand | eHow.com

US Army Field Maunal, here FM 23-5

Maintenance, here FM 23-5: Chapter 5. - MAINTENANCE

Tips from CMP Care & Cleaning

More stuff from CMP Detail Stripping The M1 Garand Rifle

I hope someone can help other than this, CA!

People get the government they deserve.

Old 01-10-2010, 02:36 AM   #3

Liked 355 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 292

I just run a cleaning rod with a slotted patch holder down the barrel and into the receiver. Put an over-sized patch through the slot for a snug fit, then pull the patch back into the chamber. Give it a few thrusts and twists and it wipes out the chamber pretty well. Works for me....

Old 01-10-2010, 03:29 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5675 Times on 2963 Posts
Likes Given: 375

the hoppe bore snakes work pretty good. i use em to clean all my guns at this point it does a good enough job. especially nice for swabbing out 10/22's and my .44 ruger carbine lock the bolt back and run the sanke through. no banging up the muzzle or having to remove the barrel to clean from the chamber end.

if your one of those bench rest types thatswabs and cleans for 3 hours between shots you wont like it, but for regular folk they work pretty good.

Old 01-10-2010, 03:30 AM   #5

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

The chamber brush seems to be the best. there is also a chamber brush that is on a flexible rod and is intended for the M1A, but will work fine in the M1 as well.
Whatever is used must fit with a good degree of tightness.
Try wrapping a patch tightly around the chamber brush then push it into the chamber, let the bolt forward slowly and ratchet it with the cleaning rod joint.
That's basically how i clean my M1's and M1A's.

Old 01-10-2010, 04:29 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Thanks guys. I guess I should have read the field manual before posting.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 01-10-2010, 04:30 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertip 44 View Post
The chamber brush seems to be the best. there is also a chamber brush that is on a flexible rod and is intended for the M1A, but will work fine in the M1 as well.
Whatever is used must fit with a good degree of tightness.
Try wrapping a patch tightly around the chamber brush then push it into the chamber, let the bolt forward slowly and ratchet it with the cleaning rod joint.
That's basically how i clean my M1's and M1A's.
your right! thats the way it done in mcrd,mattews and later at perry worked then,itll work now

ymmas