Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Need Help on Cleaning a Garand Chamber (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/need-help-cleaning-garand-chamber-22001/)

CA357 01-09-2010 11:59 PM

Need Help on Cleaning a Garand Chamber

I have a chamber brush that I use to clean the chamber on my Garand and it works great. I've also been taking a Q tip and wrapping a couple of wet then dry patches around it, but it really doesn't do the job.

How can I swab it out well? What do you more experienced Garand guys do?

dunerunner 01-10-2010 01:34 AM

Field stripping, here How to Field strip, clean and maintain the M1 Garand | eHow.com

US Army Field Maunal, here FM 23-5

Maintenance, here FM 23-5: Chapter 5. - MAINTENANCE

Tips from CMP Care & Cleaning

More stuff from CMP Detail Stripping The M1 Garand Rifle

I hope someone can help other than this, CA!

Highpower 01-10-2010 02:36 AM

I just run a cleaning rod with a slotted patch holder down the barrel and into the receiver. Put an over-sized patch through the slot for a snug fit, then pull the patch back into the chamber. Give it a few thrusts and twists and it wipes out the chamber pretty well. Works for me....

JonM 01-10-2010 03:29 AM

the hoppe bore snakes work pretty good. i use em to clean all my guns at this point it does a good enough job. especially nice for swabbing out 10/22's and my .44 ruger carbine lock the bolt back and run the sanke through. no banging up the muzzle or having to remove the barrel to clean from the chamber end.

if your one of those bench rest types thatswabs and cleans for 3 hours between shots you wont like it, but for regular folk they work pretty good.

Silvertip 44 01-10-2010 03:30 AM

The chamber brush seems to be the best. there is also a chamber brush that is on a flexible rod and is intended for the M1A, but will work fine in the M1 as well.
Whatever is used must fit with a good degree of tightness.
Try wrapping a patch tightly around the chamber brush then push it into the chamber, let the bolt forward slowly and ratchet it with the cleaning rod joint.
That's basically how i clean my M1's and M1A's.

CA357 01-10-2010 04:29 AM

Thanks guys. I guess I should have read the field manual before posting. :o

ymmas 01-10-2010 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silvertip 44 (Post 210799)
The chamber brush seems to be the best. there is also a chamber brush that is on a flexible rod and is intended for the M1A, but will work fine in the M1 as well.
Whatever is used must fit with a good degree of tightness.
Try wrapping a patch tightly around the chamber brush then push it into the chamber, let the bolt forward slowly and ratchet it with the cleaning rod joint.
That's basically how i clean my M1's and M1A's.

your right! thats the way it done in mcrd,mattews and later at perry worked then,itll work now

ymmas