Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Need help on cleaning! (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/need-help-cleaning-40222/)

TheSadPanda 03-24-2011 06:52 AM

Need help on cleaning!

I am selling my Savage 270 online so I am trying to get my gun clean as a whistle for this guy, but I am having some trouble with the inside of the barrel. I have cleaned it up and down many times with Sweets 7.62 and the blue has even stopped coming out. So what's the problem you ask? When I look down the end of the barrel, I can still clearly see copper in 2 of the grooves at the end. Any ideas on how I can get it out of there? Or should I just leave it? This is my first and only online sale/buy so far and I would really like to not screw this guy over by selling him a dirty gun. Would you be upset if you bought a used gun online and the barrel had some copper fouling in it? I feel like I would be.

DrumJunkie 03-24-2011 09:44 AM

Well if you really want it out then try another solvent. THe brush your using new?

cpttango30 03-24-2011 10:56 AM

Try the gunslick foaming bore snake works good for me.

If there is just a little copper I wouldn't worry about it too much.

TheSadPanda 03-24-2011 09:43 PM

I tried taking pictures, but no dice. I have literally zero cash moneys (which is why I'm selling the gun) so I have to make due with what I got. I tried cleaning the barrel out a little more today and rust came out! I know I took decent care of this rifle, so I am confused as to where all this is coming from. The copper in the end of the barrel is easily noticeable, but is not "thick" looking. It seems to be just a light layer.

therewolf 03-24-2011 11:03 PM

I wouldn't let it bother you too much.

I've spent over a man-day so far cleaning the

copper lining out of a Garand I recently procured. While I think that's not

right, a small amount of barrel cleaning wouldn't have bothered me.

I guess to some, barrel cleaning is just a suggestion.

Look at it like this, if he's really concerned about it, he'll have a remedy

at hand. If it's just going to line his safe, he'll probably pay it no mind.

If he's re-selling it, it's the next person's problem.

(Just the way I see it...)

Personally, keeping my barrels right is nobody's problem but my own.

TheSadPanda 03-24-2011 11:28 PM

Thank you wolf, that really puts me at rest about it. I'll just let it be as-is then.

ManInBlack83 03-29-2011 08:33 AM

I use BoreTech and it works great. If you are strapped for cash don't worry about it, you made an effort.

Everytime I've bought a used gun I figure it's my responsibility to get it clean to my satisfaction, not the seller's.

Quote:

Would you be upset if you bought a used gun online and the barrel had some copper fouling in it? I feel like I would be.
Nope. Rifles NIB from the factory have copper streaks from test firing at the factory.