Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > need help choosing a new deer rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2012, 05:19 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 643 Times on 398 Posts
Likes Given: 219

I know they get a lot of flak from people, but a few years ago I had a friend that was going through some issues and wouldn't take a hand up. So instead I bought her 770. It is not a top of the line gun, but is affordable and will kill deer reliably at the typical distances.

“Every person's life is theirs by right. An individual's life can and must belong only to to himself, not to any society or community, or he is then but a slave.”

“If you are unwilling to defend your right to your own lives, then you are merely like mice trying to argue with owls. You think their ways are wrong. They think you are dinner.”

“Pity for the guilty is treason to the innocent."

“Not everyone is willing to embrace liberty; liberty requires not just effort, but risk. Some people choose to delude themselves and see their chains as protective armor.”

Old 09-24-2012, 07:23 PM   #22

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheeseman
This question is kinda like asking what style and color underwear to buy. What you using it for? i.e. what you after and where? There's a ton of different terrain just here in an average size state like here in Cheeseland. In my Northwoods it's the levers like my Marlins: 30-30, .348WCF .35Rem 38/55WCF 45/70, and my Win 1895 in 30-06.
Lol I dont now how u can compare it to underwear I now what caliber I want I just can pick the rifle

Old 09-24-2012, 07:33 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Crow
Why not just get another browning semi auto. Expensive yes, but you can always recover your money. I put a safari grade type 2 browning on guns america. I put the starting bid at $800. I got over $1100 for it including shipping. You can get a safari grade from buds for $1200.

I did do all the right things. I offered a 7 day warranty. Pretty much everything my gunsmith does when he sells a gun online. I even used the paperwork he uses to define the terms of the warranty.

Buds has dropped their prices on the BARs. They have come down $200 in the past couple months.
I would if I could afford 1200 the bar I had I found it for 700 and it was also a gift to me

Old 09-24-2012, 07:45 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ
I am not putting down the 06, it is one of the best rounds ever made. What I do question is carrying a big rifle when it is tight cover. Ruger makes several short rifles/carbines in heavy calibers that look like they would make a better woods gun. I like the 308 in one of their compact bolt action rifles with iron sights. With a 1-4x scope it would be good tight or out to 200 yards. Old eyes.
I just checked out rugers wedsite and I like the hawkeye and scout but im not familiar with them

Old 09-24-2012, 08:01 PM   #25

Liked 30 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddy573

Lol I dont now how u can compare it to underwear I now what caliber I want I just can pick the rifle
I was saying it's subjective question, depends what you like in rifles, my advice is check out everything in your caliber close up that trips your trigger...

Old 09-25-2012, 12:30 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheeseman

I was saying it's subjective question, depends what you like in rifles, my advice is check out everything in your caliber close up that trips your trigger...
Ya I know what u ment lol I have been but its hard to pick a new primary hunting rifle

Old 09-25-2012, 02:39 AM   #27

Liked 133 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddy573 View Post
I would if I could afford 1200 the bar I had I found it for 700 and it was also a gift to me
Sorry you lost your rifle. There is nothing like a BAR to put a deer down and keep him down. Good luck in your search.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Old 09-25-2012, 02:43 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Crow

Sorry you lost your rifle. There is nothing like a BAR to put a deer down and keep him down. Good luck in your search.
Ya it was a great gun im goin to miss it

Old 09-25-2012, 02:44 AM   #29
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1742 Times on 947 Posts
Likes Given: 547

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddy573 View Post
I just checked out rugers wedsite and I like the hawkeye and scout but im not familiar with them
Our local FNRA committee is raffling off a Ruger Gunsite 308 with scope so I got a good look at it. You can put an LER scope forward in scout configuration or a standard scope over the action. I set up a Mini in the scout configuration and I like it so far. You need to stay around 2x-2.5x but it is fast and both eyes stay open. I had a 77 in 270 a long time ago and it was a good rifle.
Another possible rifle is the Savage Hog Hunter. The Browning BLR's are nice too.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 09-25-2012, 03:59 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ
Our local FNRA committee is raffling off a Ruger Gunsite 308 with scope so I got a good look at it. You can put an LER scope forward in scout configuration or a standard scope over the action. I set up a Mini in the scout configuration and I like it so far. You need to stay around 2x-2.5x but it is fast and both eyes stay open. I had a 77 in 270 a long time ago and it was a good rifle.
Another possible rifle is the Savage Hog Hunter. The Browning BLR's are nice too.
I Seen the hog hunter but not one of my favorites and blr are very nice rifles

Last edited by bigdaddy573; 09-25-2012 at 06:40 AM.