Need help in choosing, either SKS, MOSIN NAGANT or 12 gauge - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Need help in choosing, either SKS, MOSIN NAGANT or 12 gauge

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2014, 08:43 PM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoNotTouchTheTrim View Post
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/37_336/products_id/46907/Mossberg+54169+500+COMBO+12+28AC18CB+PG

is it a good buy then? With all that extra why is it cheaper?
If i was to get it what all should i know about it like the type of ammo and all that?
That is the package I would buy today, if I had to replace my Mossy. I would put the pistol grip away in a drawer, though. There are some Mossberg packages that are priced to move for some reason; my nephew sees good deals at certain local shops on the "persuader" models very regularly.

I would like my first shell in the chamber to be birdshot for HD, with buckshot to follow. Mine has that same CB short barrel for HD.

Check your local prices first, since any online purchase will incur a FFL "transfer fee" and could incur shipping.

Please, don't buy from a Gander Mountain store.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Last edited by orangello; 02-18-2014 at 08:46 PM.

Old 02-18-2014, 09:01 PM   #22

Liked 85 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
I know its kind of a spread out selection and they all have their specific purposes. But if they are all just for fun, and possibly hunting. If they were around the same price same for gun and ammo what would be the way to go?

I got a new job and this will be my first paycheck purchase as a way to celebrate.
Some points that got me stuck on on these 3 are:
Mosins ammo availability, and long range shooting fun.
sks ammo availability, and mid range shooting without scope semi auto and some can take ak mags and some nice aftermarket stocks.
And shotgun for possible home defense (on top of the sks) but also the available novelty ammo (dragons breath, confetti, firecracker) and the ability of shooting some clay pigeons and other in air items without fear of bullet drop (i live out in the country but still have neighbor's to worry about with rifles.

Maybe someone here can weigh in, and give some pros and cons to all? I know not everyone will have the same opinion but i know there will be some good points made as most of you have better experiences with these guns then me. Please only reply with serious posts, I wont feed the trolls.
Three very good choices. My second gun i ever got is my 91/30 and i love her to death. My third gun was a saiga 12 and i also love her to death. I got both on the same day. ;-) couldent leave with out saiga. Looked to sad on the rack all by her self. A shot guns got multi use. You can skeet or trap shoot hunt water and deer, and use it for hd. So maybe look into a moss 500 or rem870. Or if you got the cash a saiga 12.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Firearms Talk mobile app

you pew pew pew lately bro!?

Old 02-18-2014, 10:46 PM   #23

so I won't need anything else to shoot rifled slugs and things like that? is that model of Mossberg the newest of their models?

Old 02-18-2014, 11:56 PM   #24

Quote:
so I won't need anything else to shoot rifled slugs and things like that? is that model of Mossberg the newest of their models?
rifled slugs are for smooth bore barrels. You can shoot rifled slugs out of rifled barrels but there not as accurate. Most of the time you can find a combo deal where the gun comes with a slug barrel and a bird barrel. Thats how i got mine a while back. The 500 series has been around since 1960. Its kinda like the ak47 of the shotgun world. You cant go wrong with a 500 in my eyes.

Old 02-19-2014, 01:05 AM   #25

Liked 18 Times on 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by duddie10 View Post
rifled slugs are for smooth bore barrels. You can shoot rifled slugs out of rifled barrels but there not as accurate. Most of the time you can find a combo deal where the gun comes with a slug barrel and a bird barrel. Thats how i got mine a while back. The 500 series has been around since 1960. Its kinda like the ak47 of the shotgun world. You cant go wrong with a 500 in my eyes.

I love my mossburg 500. As long as you keep pumping it will keep shooting. I don't know about the other 500 models but the presuader I can work the pump pretty damn fast.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Firearms Talk mobile app

Old 02-19-2014, 01:16 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copeman60 View Post
I love my mossburg 500. As long as you keep pumping it will keep shooting. I don't know about the other 500 models but the presuader I can work the pump pretty damn fast.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Firearms Talk mobile app
Yup ive never had one problem with mine. Its like mossberg went to the izmach to see how the kalashnikovs are made.

Old 02-19-2014, 06:05 PM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Slugs can be confusing, but there are common compatible slugs for that barrel. I personally prefer shot loads, to take advantage of the "shotgun" effect fully; using a slug IMO makes the shotgun into a large caliber, mediocre velocity rifle with only adequate sights. Now if you are deer hunting in a "shotguns only" area, slug it up. To each his own, though.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.