Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Need help choosing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2011, 02:27 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
Unless you are into serious target competition, you dont need the bull barrel. I would also look at the Tikka and the Sako. Caliber choices could include the 6.5x55 or the 7x57. the 6.5x55 is noted for its accuracy. I believe Tikka guarantees 1MOA. I have been looking at one here.
I don't have the time nor the funds for competition I´ve looked at Sako and Tikka. Sakos are a bit too expensive for me (prices starting at 1900$ for the 85-series), Tikkas are at the very top end of my budget but not out of reach and yes Tikka guarantees 1MOA (they´re made at the Sako factory after all).

A friend of mine had a CZ in 6.5x55 but has now traded for a .308 Weatherby because the ammo is so expensive so I reckon I can't afford it either. The 7x57 is as expensive too, that´s why I was looking at .308s.

Thanks for everyones input so far, keep ´em coming. I haven't decided on anything yet, just gathering information and opinions.

Last edited by AleksiR; 03-20-2011 at 02:41 AM.

Old 03-20-2011, 04:03 AM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1159 Times on 647 Posts
Likes Given: 468

I have two Ruger Model 77's one is the older tang safety in 270 Win and the other is a 7 mm Rem mag with the safety on the bolt. Both are dependable, rugged guns, if not sniper rifles. I have taken whitetail with both, especially the 270.

I won a shotgun at an NWTF banquet a couple of years ago and traded it towards a Browning X bolt in 308 Win. I am very pleased with both the rifle and the caliber. 308 is effective at fairly long ranges and will work in thick cover. I have not shot a Tikka, but a friend of mine bought his wife one and she likes it very much.

Most any store (in the USA) located near the deer woods sells, 30-30, 270, 308 and 30-06 in a bullet weight you could use in a pinch.

I have no knowledge of prices or availability of guns or ammo in Finland, but 308 is a great round. Took my first deer with a Remington 740 in 308.

Old 03-20-2011, 04:16 AM   #13
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2195 Times on 1097 Posts
Likes Given: 1123

I guess I am a little confused here! Finland makes on of the finest rifles ever made. The Sako Finnbear Heavy Barrel! I am an avid Remington man although I have a Savage Predator also. But I have great respect for the Sako rifles built in Finland? I have a Sako Finnbear that I will not part with. And in the future will probably buy another one because of quality and accuracy.

Old 03-20-2011, 04:31 AM   #14

The Ruger 77´s are more commonly found in rimfire calibers in Finland, after a quick googling I found a few in wildcat centerfire calibers but at very attractive prices and I´ve understood that the 77 is a very good rifle so I'll look in to those too. For example the 6.5x55s costs twice as much as .308s here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03 View Post
I guess I am a little confused here! Finland makes on of the finest rifles ever made. The Sako Finnbear Heavy Barrel! I am an avid Remington man although I have a Savage Predator also. But I have great respect for the Sako rifles built in Finland? I have a Sako Finnbear that I will not part with. And in the future will probably buy another one because of quality and accuracy.

I have a lot of respect for Sako rifles of course, I´ve served with their assault rifles and the ceo is a friend of my mothers, but as I've said before they're too expensive for me. I´d love to get one of their rifles, but unless I find one used in good condition I won't be getting one (and even when used they´re expensive). Again the price factor is the reason why I´m looking at the models that I listed. I´m a student living off government support and summer jobs, so I don´t have too much spare money laying around.

Last edited by AleksiR; 03-20-2011 at 02:19 PM.

Old 03-20-2011, 12:26 PM   #15

Liked 46 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AleksiR View Post
I'm looking for a bolt action rifle, mainly just for punching paper but also for occasionally hunting deer. I have practically no experience with centerfire rifles so I need your help choosing the best one for my budget. I'm looking to spend a maximum of 1400$ on the rifle (for reference a basic Remington 700 SPS costs ~900$ in Finland).

The models I´ve been looking at are Remington 700 SPS Varmint, Weatherby Vanguard Varmint and CZ 550 Varmint. As I said, I'll do most of the shooting at the range so I thought the Varmint-style thicker barrel would be good. I'll be shooting from 100 to 300yds. Caliber wise I've decided to go with the .308 Win. I know that ballistically .223 Rem would be better for the ranges I'm shooting, but the .308 Win is cheaper and more available in Finland. Also it wouldn't be legal to hunt deer with the .223 Rem. I will get a supressor for the gun (while I still can...), so is there something ammo or gun wise that I should take in to consideration?

I´m kinda leaned towards the Remington 700 because of all the aftermarket parts available, but tell me your opinions on the rifles I listed and feel free to add a different one you think would be better.
Talking from personal experience with all those actions, all three choices are great guns. Now, while very accurate, for a target/precision gun I'd move the CZ to third option because of the longer lock time (that is the time it takes for the firing pin to reach and detonate the primer AFTER you pull the trigger. Shorter lock times aid in accuracy by helping the shooter stay on the target during the follow through portion of shooting. Lock times in the Vangard (which is a Howa 1500) and the Remington are shorter than the Mauser type CZ.

The Vangard (Howa) is a great firearm and the MOA version (if it's in your budget) already comes in a good stock so you wouldn't have to upgrade that component later. But I love to tinker with guns so I would choose the Remington SPS because it is cheaper than the Vangard MOA and for the reason you mentioned of more aftermarket accessories.

Read this thread when you have a few minutes:
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/remington-700-adl-varmint-36133/

I've had a lot of experience with Remingtons and have encountered no issues with any of the rifles I've owned or worked on for a looooooooong tome. I think their SPS line is one of the best values in rifles out there today.

Old 03-20-2011, 02:18 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wambli View Post
Talking from personal experience with all those actions, all three choices are great guns. Now, while very accurate, for a target/precision gun I'd move the CZ to third option because of the longer lock time (that is the time it takes for the firing pin to reach and detonate the primer AFTER you pull the trigger. Shorter lock times aid in accuracy by helping the shooter stay on the target during the follow through portion of shooting. Lock times in the Vangard (which is a Howa 1500) and the Remington are shorter than the Mauser type CZ.

The Vangard (Howa) is a great firearm and the MOA version (if it's in your budget) already comes in a good stock so you wouldn't have to upgrade that component later. But I love to tinker with guns so I would choose the Remington SPS because it is cheaper than the Vangard MOA and for the reason you mentioned of more aftermarket accessories.

Read this thread when you have a few minutes:
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/remington-700-adl-varmint-36133/

I've had a lot of experience with Remingtons and have encountered no issues with any of the rifles I've owned or worked on for a looooooooong tome. I think their SPS line is one of the best values in rifles out there today.
This was exactly the sort of information I was looking for, thank you very much! I´ve actually read that thread earlier and that´s what got me interested in the Remington 700. I´ll have to check the price of the Vanguard MOA from my local gun shop, they don't have it on their website but I believe they could order one if asked.

I´ll upgrade the stock and trigger assembly at some point, so it doesn't matter if the originals aren't that great.

Old 03-21-2011, 01:55 AM   #17

Liked 46 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AleksiR View Post
This was exactly the sort of information I was looking for, thank you very much! I´ve actually read that thread earlier and that´s what got me interested in the Remington 700. I´ll have to check the price of the Vanguard MOA from my local gun shop, they don't have it on their website but I believe they could order one if asked.

I´ll upgrade the stock and trigger assembly at some point, so it doesn't matter if the originals aren't that great.
You are welcome. Good game plan.

Old 03-21-2011, 03:35 PM   #18
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1711 Times on 933 Posts
Likes Given: 545

The Tikka rifles are available in 308. Your VAT is probably driving up the prices. I can buy a Tikka stainless with composite stock in 223 (1-8 twist) for $680. The 308 would be about the same.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 03-21-2011, 04:23 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
The Tikka rifles are available in 308. Your VAT is probably driving up the prices. I can buy a Tikka stainless with composite stock in 223 (1-8 twist) for $680. The 308 would be about the same.
You are correct, the VAT is 23%. Tikka T3 Lite Stainless costs 1250$ here, but even without the tax it´s still ~1000$, so for some reason (maybe sales volumes) they´re more expensive in Finland I´ve been looking at the T3 Varmint which costs ~1500$, so it barely fits in my budget but I´ll take a closer look at one and find some reviews on it.

Old 03-21-2011, 04:38 PM   #20
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2195 Times on 1097 Posts
Likes Given: 1123

Aleksi,

One other thing you may want to look at. Is the Savage 110 Tactical Rifle.
They are a little less expensive than the Remington although I am an avid Remington fan. We had 7 of the Remington 700 PSS Systems on the Team. But at the schools the Savage 110 Tactical will shoot right up there with the 700 PSS Rifles. And with the accutrigger they also have a great trigger. They have the heavy barrel and would do a nice job for what you described.