Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Need help building a rifle set up

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2009, 03:43 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

First, I would encourage you to read this compilation of ideas on the factory rifle, it will give you some very good, ground floor information about what can be done on the cheap to improve a factory stick.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/improving-accuracy-factory-rifle-19037/

Second, especially if you are thinking about building a very accurate bolt action rifle ( sniper rifle, but we don't use the "S" word a lot around here ) I can't not say enough good things about this book.

Ultimate Sniper by John Plaster

That is a very good read and will tell you a TON about what a real rifle can do.

Okay, you want to shoot to 500 yards/meters and you want to start with a factory gun.

The Remington is a good rifle, it's not my favorite, but they build many applications that have some desireable features to a new shooter.

The choice of .308 is a good round, but you have to understand the round and what it can do and what it can't do. Especially at distance.

You will read and see people talking about shooting the .308 at 1,000 yards and people will tell you the Marines shoot their .308's out past 1,000 all the time. And that is true.

But it's a friggin moon shot to get the round out to 1,000 and by the time it gets there, it lacks the serious energy to knock someone/something cold.

Here's a couple of facts to consider:

168gr round, fired from your 26" .308 rifle, will be affected, in terms of lateral drift, approx 110 inches from a 10 mph crosswind at 1,000 yards. That is almost 10 feet!

That same round will drop about 240 inches at 1,000 yards when your rifle is zero'd for 600. That is a TON of drop to compensate for!

So, understand that while .308 is desireable in the fact that it can be had almost anywhere in the country ( SHTF purposes ) and that it can bring down a lot of game ( even without SHTF purposes ) this round is probably "effective" out to about 600 or 650 yards. Beyond that, the round will get there, the round will probably hit hard, but it lacks the serious power to drop something in it's tracks.

Okay, disclaimer out of the way....

Your choice of rifle is good, and with the tricks in the Improving Accuracy thread, you can see what you need to tweak it's performance right out of the box.

• Glass Bed the action
  • Trigger job ( or replacement trigger )
  • Lap the locking lugs
Your scope choice is an excellent one. I have that exact scope and I love it. Don't get sucked into buying the Mark IV or the Mil-Dot though, neither one are a model or feature that you need.

For mounting, I suggest you get a scope base with a built in 20MOA. This will improve the ability to shoot across various ranges without having to max out the dials on your scope.

Badger Ordnance makes some very good, very durable, rock solid scope bases and rings. They are not cheap, but they are worth the extra cash because they are SERIOUS gear.

For your choice of rifle listed above, I would get this rail

P/N 306-06L - Short action Left hand 20 MOA cant, 4.8 Oz.

Ring height is something you have to determine. Usually a set of mediums is what we install, but everyone has their preference.

Keep in mind that for real precision long range shooting, your best accuracy is going to be achieved with handloads on fire formed brass.

You can side step that, like I did on my first build, by having a custom barrel chambered for your exact round ( in my case I went with Federal Gold Medal Match 168 BTHP ). My fire formed brass is VERY close to the brass that comes out of the Federal box, so my accuracy change is very
minimal.

There are a ton of other tricks and things that you will learn as you go, but hopefully that gives you a very good start on your build. I am excited for you. Building a quality stick is always fun.

Best of luck!! Please post pictures and questions/decisions as you go along....

JD

Old 11-19-2009, 12:11 AM   #12

Hey JD,

Thanks a ton for making a write up about my choice as a rifle.

I will definitely buy this book and read it.

Was talking to my dad about my rifle, he suggested going with the .260 Remington 6.5mm.

What do you think?

you might find this link interesting

http://demigodllc.com/articles/6.5-shootout-260-6.5x47-6.5-creedmoor/?p=1

Last edited by BoltActionGhost; 11-19-2009 at 12:22 AM.

Old 11-19-2009, 12:20 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoltActionGhost View Post
Hey JD,

Thanks a ton for making a write up about my choice as a rifle.

I will definitely buy this book and read it.

Was talking to my dad about my rifle, he suggested going with the .260 Remington 6.5mm.

What do you think?
No problem B.A.G. - I am happy to help. I LOVE me some long gun action. My first true firearms love, and you never forget your first.

I like the .260, it's a great, long range, pretty flat shooter. Thing is, while it's still a short action round, the barrel life isn't as good because of the high chamber pressure and smaller caliber. You still get good barrel life, but it's not REAL good barrel life.

You are going to have to tackle reloading to get sniper grade accuracy with this round. This is more a bench shooters type of round. Like a project round. The damn thing will shoot for days and it's a hell of round, but it's more like a mad scientist project. "Just a little more tweaking and I can get another 38fps and probably another .005" out of my average groups". You know?

Definitely a good choice, but for my first long range gun? Personally? I would stick with something you can get match grade ammo for right off the shelf. And I don't personally know if you can get match grade .260 off the shelf. Someone will be by in a few minutes to correct me and throw up some obscure link though... LOL

Keep the questions coming, or post up some pictures of what you decided to buy. I love long range rifle projects.

JD

Old 11-19-2009, 12:44 AM   #14

Ultimately my dad says its up to me and agrees with you about the round being high-pressured and what not.

He suggested buying a ANSCHUTZ .22 target rifle to get my serious accuracy and formation in tune. Saying to build up my own form to fit me into guns later that i build/buy.

I’m not against this, seeing his logic: But would like outside opinions.

Old 11-19-2009, 01:15 AM   #15

Quote:
Ultimately my dad says its up to me and agrees with you about the round being high-pressured and what not.

He suggested buying a ANSCHUTZ .22 target rifle to get my serious accuracy and formation in tune. Saying to build up my own form to fit me into guns later that i build/buy.

I’m not against this, seeing his logic: But would like outside opinions.
Well. For what it's worth. I got a BB gun when I was 5. I started shooting .22lr Tyro Class every weekend or every other weekend when I was like 9 or 10. I shot .22 for a long time.

These days I am not sniper or distinguished shooter, but I can definitely hold my own.

I think learn the very basics of firearms, and especially precision shooting, with a .22 is very smart, very cheap and a hell of alot of fun.

I would agree that building your first rifle is a hell of a lot of fun, but for cheap, practice with long guns, a .22 bolt action rifle is 100% JD Approved.

Old 11-19-2009, 02:49 PM   #16

Anschutz, 1903 target rifle, .22 LR rimfire, smallbore match rifle = 1200ish $.... not a cheap target .22 but my dad said if i want to become a insane target shooter these guns are a very good step towards that...

Are there any good bolt action target grade rifles that won't break the bank. I mean I have the cash but 1200 on a .22 lord thats expensive.

Old 11-19-2009, 03:14 PM   #17

Liked 665 Times on 456 Posts
Likes Given: 671

If you are looking for a real nice shooter, I would recommend a Mossberg U.S. M44. I see them around here for $175.00 to $200.00 in excellent condition. I have won many NRA Smallbore compititions in the past w/ one. Wish I still had it. $1200.00 is allot of cash and a little overkill. JP

Old 11-19-2009, 08:41 PM   #18

yeah agree, ill look into some guns. Maby go around some gun shops that carry the 1903 and see what deals i can get.

sigh lol

Old 11-20-2009, 07:22 PM   #19

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

BoltActionGhost - if you aren't set on the .308, I see you are going for the long distance shot, maybe take a look at the 7MM Rem Mag. very good caliber for long distance shooting.

Old 11-20-2009, 09:03 PM   #20
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5117 Times on 2663 Posts
Likes Given: 310

Quote:
[url=http://www.championshooters.com/1903big.htm]
Are there any good bolt action target grade rifles that won't break the bank. I mean I have the cash but 1200 on a .22 lord thats expensive.
forget about target rifles for now. its a lot of money to plunk down on something that you seem to not have an opinion on yet.

a good place for a new shooter to start is, in totally my opinion, a Ruger 10/22 or a Ruger 77/22 if you must have a bolt gun. both rifles are pretty cheap and can be easily upgraded for not a lot of money into tack drivers. upgraing of 10/22 rifles is really easy and can be done by the average person with little difficulty.

Tags
build, hunting, precise, rifle, target