Need help building a rifle set up
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Need help building a rifle set up

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2009, 07:40 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Need help building a rifle set up

Hello!

well i have decided to build a long range target gun that can also be used for hunting, more of the later though considering my dad has many other guns specifically for hunting...

I was thinking about the Remington 700 SPS varminter lefty .308.

Leupold VX-III 6.5-20x50mm as my scope but was wondering if the 6.5-20 is over kill....

Mounts are also a problem considering i do not know a lot about them..

Any help would be apreciated concerning my setup i stated or suggestions on different rifles or scopes etc...

-ghost

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-17-2009, 08:01 PM   #2

yes, that will shoot long distance and kill animals. for a somewhat reasonable price i would think. don't know much about mounts either, i'm sure someone around here can help you with that part tho...

Old 11-17-2009, 08:07 PM   #3

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Holy crap!

Where to start, where to start??

Why not tell us a little about your shooting experience and what kind of accuracy you are wanting out of this rifle.

In the Projects section, you will find a couple of rifle builds that I have done that have complete write ups. That might give you some ideas.

You have a WIDE OPEN thread here that could go in a lot fo directions depending on what you are looking to achieve.

What kind of accuracy are you after?

Why the .308 caliber?

Help us help you...

JD

Old 11-17-2009, 08:13 PM   #4

Liked 710 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 730

The response above says it all. Mounts and rings are the simple part. I can tell you, I have a Howa 1500 M&P HB .308 that I bought years ago. It was used for targets to 700 meters, so at the time I put a 6-24x40mmAO on it. The scope was fine for paper punching, but terrible for hunting. I changed the scope out 2 years ago for a 4-12x42mmAO. I upgraded the glass and lost nothing in distance.

Old 11-17-2009, 08:46 PM   #5

well i started shooting the family .22 longrifle at 12 years old making money from my pops taking out squirrles that got into our corn at the time.

used the 22 for years maby 3 for target and squirrle..moving up to various others.

pistol shooting with .22, 9mm, 45, .375, ruger 45 blackhawk

have not done much deer hunting but my neighbors and friends are really into it and want me to come out...

although my dad has HIS deer guns i would like a gun that i can hunt with of MY own. but mainly for long range target... 500+ meters with tight grouping.... i of course will be practing a lot with this rifle gaining enjoyment and skill.

this would be the first gun i buy and own myself so i want to make sure i buy quality that i will own for years and years.

.308 it has punch at long ranges but knowing that it still is heavy and not sure if i should pick a lighter round for target shooting long range.... going to look at ballistics for the .308 drop rate

Last edited by BoltActionGhost; 11-17-2009 at 08:50 PM. Reason: answering why 308

Old 11-17-2009, 10:42 PM   #6

B.A.G. - I like the cut of your jib. I have a lot to say on this issue, but tonight is not the night I am afraid.

I will put aside a good 45 minutes to an hour tomorrow in the AM to provide you with a bunch of insight from someone that was in your exact shoes back in 2000. I have read and learned TONS of information about quality rifles and what it takes to build them since then.

You are doing this one right and your research is showing that. Good for you.

We here at FTF are going to help you build one great tack driver of a rifle.

JD

Old 11-17-2009, 11:38 PM   #7

thanks a bunch jd for not shunning me. Very welcoming feeling!

B.A.G haha i like it.

Old 11-18-2009, 11:02 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

JD - I am sure that there are more than one of us (me) who would also like to have the benefit of your experience. My long range shooter is a bit down the road (about number 8 on my weapons bucket list), but it is getting closer.

TXnorton

Old 11-18-2009, 01:19 PM   #9
Is it Friday yet?
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXnorton View Post
JD - I am sure that there are more than one of us (me) who would also like to have the benefit of your experience. My long range shooter is a bit down the road (about number 8 on my weapons bucket list), but it is getting closer.
Here here!

Old 11-18-2009, 02:56 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXnorton View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Michalik View Post
Here here!
Thanks guys. I am definitely no expert, but I have done a ton of studying on the topic as it's one of my OCD Passions....

Now, onto the write up....

Tags
build, hunting, precise, rifle, target