Need Help with BSA .22 "Roo Rifle"

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Need Help with BSA .22 "Roo Rifle"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2012, 10:39 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Need Help with BSA .22 "Roo Rifle"

I inherited an old BSA .22 Commonwealth of Australia "Roo Rifle" from my grandpa and I am having trouble with the ammo. When I took the stock off I found that the barrel says "O.F. Mossberg & Sons Chuckster model 620k 22 magnum W.M.R." I got some 22 Winchester Magnum hollow point 40 grains and fired the gun. After the bullet had fired the casing doesn't want to eject as it has expanded and is a little stuck. I put the gun away and when I got it out today to blast a groundhog in my yard I found that I couldn't get the ammo to load at all. The bullet seems to be too big. This is the exact same ammo I used before. It is super clean so that shouldn't be an issue. I don't know much about guns so any help at all would be appreciated. Thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-30-2012, 06:31 PM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by star_808 View Post
I put the gun away and when I got it out today to blast a groundhog in my yard I found that I couldn't get the ammo to load at all. The bullet seems to be too big.
Please explain what "load at all" actually means? The cartridge will go into the chamber, but not all the way? The cartridge will not even start into the chamber "at all"? How much is the bolt from going into battery, a 1/4", 1/2"?

I would suspect, although it appears clean, there is still something blocking the cartridge from fully seating in the chamber and preventing the bolt locking into battery. It may be difficult to see without a bore scope. I would suspect this blockage is right at the throat of the chamber, and could have possibly been pushed there from your super cleaning. If this is the case, you may need a chamber brush to clean it out. A new 22 caliber brass brush might be big enough, but you may need a .243 size. If there is some debris impacted against the ledge of the throat, it will most likely take a brush stroke that rotates with some gentle forward and reverse (in line with the chamber and barrel) to loosen it up and remove it. A chamber mop would be kinder to the chamber and throat and may work, and that is what I would try first before going to the brass brush.

How about inserting a life round into the chamber, close the bolt as far as it will go, snap a photo and post it.

It also appears you have been posting this issue several other places on the internet......getting any responses that help?