Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Need help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2013, 04:25 AM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 24 Times on 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC1760

...For a bolt action hunter I find it very helpful....especially if the field with uneven platforms to steady the firearm in a longer range shot. I bought a Caldwell non-pivoting front foldling one from Cabelas.
Alright. Thanks for the info. I'll have to start trying out bipods as well. The Caldwell bipods look very nice and seem like the perfect thing for the job.

Old 08-25-2013, 04:46 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC1760

...For a bolt action hunter I find it very helpful....especially if the field with uneven platforms to steady the firearm in a longer range shot. I bought a Caldwell non-pivoting front foldling one from Cabelas.
Also, what size bipod do you recommend? The bipod I saw that I like is the Caldwell XLA that adjusts up to 9". Does it have to do with the shooter's size or more so of what you're resting it on?

Old 08-25-2013, 07:56 AM   #43

Liked 42 Times on 33 Posts

I dont personally care for the Caldwell bipods. Theyre a little flimsy for my taste. I prefer Harris but Blackhawk has good quality also, and a better price than Harris.
The height difference is for obvious reasons. You wouldnt try to use a 6-9" model while sitting down against a tree, and you wouldnt try a 23-27" for shooting prone or benchrest.

Old 08-25-2013, 08:54 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by bntyhntr6975
I dont personally care for the Caldwell bipods. Theyre a little flimsy for my taste. I prefer Harris but Blackhawk has good quality also, and a better price than Harris.
The height difference is for obvious reasons. You wouldnt try to use a 6-9" model while sitting down against a tree, and you wouldnt try a 23-27" for shooting prone or benchrest.
Alrighty. Thanks for the heads up! I guess it wouldn't hurt to get 2 bipods. One for benchrest/prone and another for sitting. I'll have to look at the Blackhawk bipods too. Just see what suits me best.

Old 09-02-2013, 12:09 AM   #45

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarhead0881

Thanks for your input! I'm not much of a hunter though. I only go out once every few years or so. That's why I'm looking for a cheaper rifle in bigger game caliber. I used to hunt a lot of pigs growing up and I'd like to get back into it. Oh, also, GO GATORS!!
I would like to recommend a custom .300 win mag but the price would piss you off lol.