Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Need help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2013, 05:18 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 24 Times on 19 Posts

TekGreg, by the way, your paracord belt and bracelet are holding up great!! I was just out in the scrub a few days ago looking for venomous snakes to document for school and I got covered in mud. I threw the belt in the wash, hung it up to dry and it is as good as new!! I've been wearing them every day of my life and they're fantastic.

Old 08-24-2013, 06:57 AM   #32

Liked 663 Times on 366 Posts
Likes Given: 1368

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarhead0881 View Post
Yeah, that match pair was really at the bottom of the list for me. I think I'd rather just get a good survival gun from Henry. I don't know much about the Rossi brand so it was just a shot in the dark. Thanks for the heads-up.
DEFINATELY hold one of those before you decide. I was at my local Ma & Pa and they had two of them in black & one in OD green... The stock (that everything packs into) was (IMHO) so big and clunky it would not shoulder correctly for my needs. Now as an alternative to the Henry, why not a new Ruger 10/22 takedown instead? http://www.ruger.com/products/1022Takedown/models.html
... all for the same reasons I mentioned the American series for earlier AND you can get large capacity mags for it also.

BTW... I'm kinda in the same boat on the high(er) caliber rifle market right now too (but mine is mainly for ferrel pigs).. and after looking around and actually holding models... the Ruger long action American is top of the list for me... Feels just right and that action on it is smooooothh as silk !! I even have a scope & bipod for it waiting. Just have to get the final $$$ together before the year is out... That is if my son will stop needing new hockey equipment for the new season !!

Last edited by NC1760; 08-24-2013 at 07:00 AM.

Old 08-24-2013, 09:49 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC1760

DEFINATELY hold one of those before you decide. I was at my local Ma & Pa and they had two of them in black & one in OD green... The stock (that everything packs into) was (IMHO) so big and clunky it would not shoulder correctly for my needs. Now as an alternative to the Henry, why not a new Ruger 10/22 takedown instead? http://www.ruger.com/products/1022Takedown/models.html
... all for the same reasons I mentioned the American series for earlier AND you can get large capacity mags for it also.

BTW... I'm kinda in the same boat on the high(er) caliber rifle market right now too (but mine is mainly for ferrel pigs).. and after looking around and actually holding models... the Ruger long action American is top of the list for me... Feels just right and that action on it is smooooothh as silk !! I even have a scope & bipod for it waiting. Just have to get the final $$$ together before the year is out... That is if my son will stop needing new hockey equipment for the new season !!
Now that's an idea I didn't even think about with the takedown! I do love Ruger's products. I've never shot or even held the takedown model though. It looks like it would be an awesome trail gun! The more I look and hear about the American, the more I like too. I'd use mine mostly for ferrel hogs as well. What scope are you going to be putting on yours? I want something that's decent but not astronomically priced.

Old 08-24-2013, 10:09 AM   #34
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1274 Times on 668 Posts
Likes Given: 592

If you have your "Short List" of candidates, then the best thing you can do to save money is shop! Check prices every couple of days on GunBroker.com, GunsAmerica.com and Armslist. Call local gun stores and don't forget pawn shops in your area. If you like to yard sale, you can also look for firearms at moving and estate sales. Hint: CraigsList prohibits selling firearms on their site, but you can search the yard sale category with the terms "bangs" or "bang bangs" to find people that have guns in their sales.

Quote:
TekGreg, by the way, your paracord belt and bracelet are holding up great!! I was just out in the scrub a few days ago looking for venomous snakes to document for school and I got covered in mud. I threw the belt in the wash, hung it up to dry and it is as good as new!! I've been wearing them every day of my life and they're fantastic.
That's why I said use it like you hate it! We've tested it as well as we could and can't think of any way to make it better. So glad the fit was perfect and it's serving well! 70+' of paracord when you are desperate can't hurt either. It reminds us of what "Made in America" used to mean.

(Hearing Bob Seger in the background singing, "Like a rock...")

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Last edited by TekGreg; 08-24-2013 at 10:13 AM.

Old 08-24-2013, 10:47 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekGreg
If you have your "Short List" of candidates, then the best thing you can do to save money is shop! Check prices every couple of days on GunBroker.com, GunsAmerica.com and Armslist. Call local gun stores and don't forget pawn shops in your area. If you like to yard sale, you can also look for firearms at moving and estate sales. Hint: CraigsList prohibits selling firearms on their site, but you can search the yard sale category with the terms "bangs" or "bang bangs" to find people that have guns in their sales.

That's why I said use it like you hate it! We've tested it as well as we could and can't think of any way to make it better. So glad the fit was perfect and it's serving well! 70+' of paracord when you are desperate can't hurt either. It reminds us of what "Made in America" used to mean.

(Hearing Bob Seger in the background singing, "Like a rock...")
Hahaha!! I love it!! If only life came with a soundtrack! Bob Seger would be up there! I'm actually going to go to all of the local gun stores in the area to see what they have on my days off. There's a few spots not far from me way out in the sticks where I know there will be yard sales with potential firearms. Just got to get out there and keep an eye open. I'll find what I'm looking for I just know it! Mrs. Right is waiting for me! Hahaha!

Old 08-24-2013, 06:00 PM   #36

Quote:
Now that's an idea I didn't even think about with the takedown! I do love Ruger's products. I've never shot or even held the takedown model though. It looks like it would be an awesome trail gun! The more I look and hear about the American, the more I like too. I'd use mine mostly for ferrel hogs as well. What scope are you going to be putting on yours? I want something that's decent but not astronomically priced.
..I'm with you on that one! My first choice would be a Leupold... but I don't have $250 to $$$$$ to spend. My budget is around $75 to $125 for a scope... sooooooo, I got a Bushnell 3-9x40mm off Natchez ( http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=BH71394 4&src=exrbSrch ) as per my Father-In-Law's recommendation. THEN I got a Caldwell bipod off Cabela's with some store credit I had lying around. I can always upgrade later after spending the rest on the gun and quality ammo (which is IMHO... the important stuff!).

Old 08-24-2013, 08:01 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC1760

..I'm with you on that one! My first choice would be a Leupold... but I don't have $250 to $$$$$ to spend. My budget is around $75 to $125 for a scope... sooooooo, I got a Bushnell 3-9x40mm off Natchez ( http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=BH71394 4&src=exrbSrch ) as per my Father-In-Law's recommendation. THEN I got a Caldwell bipod off Cabela's with some store credit I had lying around. I can always upgrade later after spending the rest on the gun and quality ammo (which is IMHO... the important stuff!).
I agree with you on that! No matter how good and expensive the accoutrements are, the things that truly matter are the gun and the ammo. And the shooter. I'll have to go on Natchez and see their prices. I like Bushnell. I think they get an undue bad rap. I have a couple sets of binoculars from them and they are great. I didn't even consider a bipod though. Is that something you recommend for a hunting rifle?

Old 08-25-2013, 01:11 AM   #38

Liked 30 Times on 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarhead0881

Now you're talking!! I freaking LOVE lever guns! Anytime I feel like John Wayne is a good day in my book! I love my little .22 lever gun. It wouldn't hurt getting her a big sister!!
BVAL back at ya,,,,,,,,, good lord ya didn't as anything before about lever actions. Ok, if ya are looking for the big brother (no sister this time) ya need to go back an check out Henry rifles again. They have a new release this year you will love it. With Marlin going out of business in the lever guns, you can find some around new, but I know a lot of guys holding onto the ones they have. You can check all the gun auction sites to see if ya can find a Marlin.
But this firearm here is beautiful. http://henryrepeating.com/rifle-45-70.cfm

Old 08-25-2013, 02:56 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVAL

BVAL back at ya,,,,,,,,, good lord ya didn't as anything before about lever actions. Ok, if ya are looking for the big brother (no sister this time) ya need to go back an check out Henry rifles again. They have a new release this year you will love it. With Marlin going out of business in the lever guns, you can find some around new, but I know a lot of guys holding onto the ones they have. You can check all the gun auction sites to see if ya can find a Marlin.
But this firearm here is beautiful. http://henryrepeating.com/rifle-45-70.cfm
That is an absolutely GORGEOUS rifle!! The dark wood stock is amazing!! I've never shot one of those big bores before. I wish I could afford it though. One of these days!!

Old 08-25-2013, 03:08 AM   #40

Quote:
I agree with you on that! No matter how good and expensive the accoutrements are, the things that truly matter are the gun and the ammo. And the shooter. I'll have to go on Natchez and see their prices. I like Bushnell. I think they get an undue bad rap. I have a couple sets of binoculars from them and they are great. I didn't even consider a bipod though. Is that something you recommend for a hunting rifle?
...For a bolt action hunter I find it very helpful....especially if the field with uneven platforms to steady the firearm in a longer range shot. I bought a Caldwell non-pivoting front foldling one from Cabelas.