Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Need help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2013, 01:41 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 24 Times on 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcilten

Yep that was when I was there too, for Motor T school. Cold as ****! Remember that good fun 5 mile USMC detachment run? That was the most ridiculous run I have ever been on. Running with every single Marine on post. All I can say was the accordion effect was out of control. That was what I hated the most, PT in that friggin cold!
Yeah, I remember that!! It was god-awful. We used to have to run to the pistol range from the barracks and almost everybody had nose bleeds from the cold. I'm glad I was only there for 4 months!!

Old 08-24-2013, 01:48 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVAL
We need to make a correction,,,,,,,to your thinking,,,,,,,,there is no BEAR season in Florida, but I know you were getting ramped up with all the post coming back to ya.

I would stay with the rifle in 308 win. It's only 50-60 feet per second slower than the 30-06, and a lot less recoil. Here is one other rifle I would look at, had them before and still own them now ------------------ Remington 760 BDL or ADL (old model),,,,,,,,,(new model) 7600. These pump guns can really put the rounds out if need be.
Oh no. No shooting bears for me!! Unless its in a fight or flight situation. I just wanted to give a "for instance" for animals that COULD be taken with it. I'm no hunter by any stretch. From my research and info everybody here has given, I'm thinking the .308 is the way I'm gonna go. Now it's up to actually picking the rifle. I've thought about pump guns as well. No real experience with pump rifles other than .22s though. I'll have to get my hands on one and see how I like it.

Old 08-24-2013, 01:49 AM   #23

Liked 48 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 44

just my opinion but I bought the Rossi 22/410 for my grand son, although it is somewhat versatile it is also not at all accurate and not well made. I was going to buy a couple more barrels for it but was told, they would have to be individually matched to the receiver as they vary so much between individual receivers. poorly made in other words.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of
Paul.

Old 08-24-2013, 01:55 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by dteed4094
just my opinion but I bought the Rossi 22/410 for my grand son, although it is somewhat versatile it is also not at all accurate and not well made. I was going to buy a couple more barrels for it but was told, they would have to be individually matched to the receiver as they vary so much between individual receivers. poorly made in other words.
Yeah, that match pair was really at the bottom of the list for me. I think I'd rather just get a good survival gun from Henry. I don't know much about the Rossi brand so it was just a shot in the dark. Thanks for the heads-up.

Old 08-24-2013, 03:06 AM   #25

Liked 42 Times on 33 Posts

Splurge a little on the rifle. Pushin 10,000 rnds out of my 700 .308, still holds .300 groups off the bench, sometimes better. Even the SPS models will shoot, and theyre reasonably priced. My 700 SPS .22-250 will do under .250" groups all day. I am by no means saying any of the others arent worth their price, just adding my experience in, for what its worth.

Old 08-24-2013, 03:16 AM   #26

Liked 741 Times on 435 Posts
Likes Given: 958

I say go with the Marlin in 30-30... Light, accurate, drilled for a scope. perfect for medium sized deer within 150yrds....Plus i just have a thing for sexy lever guns.........

The Founders DID anticipate that arms technology would advance, that's why the 2nd amendment doesn't say "the right to keep and bear a musket".......

Old 08-24-2013, 04:03 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by bntyhntr6975
Splurge a little on the rifle. Pushin 10,000 rnds out of my 700 .308, still holds .300 groups off the bench, sometimes better. Even the SPS models will shoot, and theyre reasonably priced. My 700 SPS .22-250 will do under .250" groups all day. I am by no means saying any of the others arent worth their price, just adding my experience in, for what its worth.
My buddy has a 700 in .270 and it shoots like a dream! He goes hunting all the time and is always pushing me to get my own 700 and head out with him. .270 is a little too small for my taste though. I really would prefer the .308. My options are still wide open so I'll shoot his 700 some more and really get a feel for it.

Old 08-24-2013, 04:06 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by readygirl
I say go with the Marlin in 30-30... Light, accurate, drilled for a scope. perfect for medium sized deer within 150yrds....Plus i just have a thing for sexy lever guns.........
Now you're talking!! I freaking LOVE lever guns! Anytime I feel like John Wayne is a good day in my book! I love my little .22 lever gun. It wouldn't hurt getting her a big sister!!

Old 08-24-2013, 04:49 AM   #29
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1278 Times on 668 Posts
Likes Given: 592

I think everyone is suggesting the .30 family because it looks like you got rimfire and shotguns covered already! A .30 can fire almost any smaller round in a sabot configuration and can still take medium-sized game from hogs to bears.

If you like the lever .30-30, I say go for it! Luckily, you can still get ammo for it. Not a great one for long range shots, but excellent in brush. Also, if you need a long range shooter, consider both the Savage line, like the 111 and the Remington 700 BDL. Savage sells packages that include crystal clear Nikon scopes for a good price, or a 700 you can start for low money and build it up slowly to what you want. Either way, neither is a lot of money to start but offer a lot of quality in the .308 or .30-06 caliber ranges.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 08-24-2013, 05:00 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekGreg
I think everyone is suggesting the .30 family because it looks like you got rimfire and shotguns covered already! A .30 can fire almost any smaller round in a sabot configuration and can still take medium-sized game from hogs to bears.

If you like the lever .30-30, I say go for it! Luckily, you can still get ammo for it. Not a great one for long range shots, but excellent in brush. Also, if you need a long range shooter, consider both the Savage line, like the 111 and the Remington 700 BDL. Savage sells packages that include crystal clear Nikon scopes for a good price, or a 700 you can start for low money and build it up slowly to what you want. Either way, neither is a lot of money to start but offer a lot of quality in the .308 or .30-06 caliber ranges.
Yeah, I like the sound of that! Being a "starving" college student, money isn't exactly flowing so I'm trying not to be cheap, but frugal. I really would like a rifle with glass already on it. I know there are some scopes out there that cost more than the rifle they're sitting on! I think I've boiled my choices down to the Mossberg 100, the Savage, the Rem 700 and maybe just maybe that oh so sexy .30-30. I've just got to get out there and see which ones suit me best. It's a good problem to have!!

Newest Threads