Need a beater rifle - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Need a beater rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2011, 01:08 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts

OK guys he is wanting a short barrel Not a 26" barreled varmint gun. I do believe he has one already.

Lon have you looked at maybe a Ruger Hawkeye Compact in 243? The 243 will give you a little more variation in bullet weights. With 58gr V-Max being smokin fast and producing great red mist.

Doubt you will find a used one. But it is something to think about.
Ruger® M77® Hawkeye® Laminate Compact Bolt-Action Rifle Models

Old 02-21-2011, 01:15 AM   #12

Liked 1424 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Savage AXIS 22-250 $291.00 SHIPS FREE

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 02-21-2011, 01:29 AM   #13

Liked 59 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Wound up with a Howa 1500 kit with a cheap scope that I replaced right away with a Meopta I had sitting around. It has a rubber Hogue stock on it and it's not blued or stainless, it's matte, so rust shouldn't be a real problem.

I really wanted the .22-250 Brett, because I think that is the most versatile round for the application out here. I loaded up some Nosler BT 55-grain with H380 that gave me 3,763 fps, took her out today and she shot real well. Guys out here have taken 200 pound hogs with a .22-250 with no problem.

My only complaint is that it came with a Picatinny rail that the scope was already mounted on. I put the Meopta on it and, when I first took it out, I couldn't believe how tight the bolt was, almost took two hands to turn it.

Took it home, took off the rail and replaced it with a Leupold base and rings I had. When I took off the rail, I saw that one of the screws wasn't even screwed down at all. Then, I realized that the screws they used were too long and that's what was causing the bolt problem. Can't believe it came from the factory that way.

I ran out of windage on the Meopta and ran out of time, but I'll make the windage adjustment on the base and things will be okay.

Thanks for all your input. I think the rifle is a good deal for the money, but the way they set up the optic was shoddy at best. I think they were just trying to make it look cool with the rail and the "sand" colored Nikko-Sterling scope that matches the stock. Big woop.

Old 02-21-2011, 01:36 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonyaeger View Post
Wound up with a Howa 1500 kit with a cheap scope that I replaced right away with a Meopta I had sitting around. It has a rubber Hogue stock on it and it's not blued or stainless, it's matte, so rust shouldn't be a real problem.

I really wanted the .22-250 Brett, because I think that is the most versatile round for the application out here. I loaded up some Nosler BT 55-grain with H380 that gave me 3,763 fps, took her out today and she shot real well. Guys out here have taken 200 pound hogs with a .22-250 with no problem.

My only complaint is that it came with a Picatinny rail that the scope was already mounted on. I put the Meopta on it and, when I first took it out, I couldn't believe how tight the bolt was, almost took two hands to turn it.

Took it home, took off the rail and replaced it with a Leupold base and rings I had. When I took off the rail, I saw that one of the screws wasn't even screwed down at all. Then, I realized that the screws they used were too long and that's what was causing the bolt problem. Can't believe it came from the factory that way.

I ran out of windage on the Meopta and ran out of time, but I'll make the windage adjustment on the base and things will be okay.

Thanks for all your input. I think the rifle is a good deal for the money, but the way they set up the optic was shoddy at best. I think they were just trying to make it look cool with the rail and the "sand" colored Nikko-Sterling scope that matches the stock. Big woop.

Lon- Did you get the Ranchland? My son decided that was his choice for his first deer rifle (7mm-08). Going to pick it up tomorrow. I've never owned a Howa and was just curious what your thoughts were on it, now that you have it in hand.

"People live too long, dogs don't live long enough" - FTF Member-

Old 02-21-2011, 01:40 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepcreep927 View Post
Lon- Did you get the Ranchland? My son decided that was his choice for his first deer rifle (7mm-08). Going to pick it up tomorrow. I've never owned a Howa and was just curious what your thoughts were on it, now that you have it in hand.
Yes. The Ranchland. Didn't really realize that's what it was until I saw that logo on the stock.

I think the rifle is good so far, but you read what I had to say about the optic setup. I never planned to keep the scope it came with on it, so my complaint is about the mounting furniture.

Howa/Hogue Ranchland Compact Rifles

Old 02-21-2011, 02:38 AM   #16

Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts

PICTURES man where are the damn PICTURES.....

Old 02-21-2011, 02:39 AM   #17

Soon.....!

Old 02-21-2011, 11:48 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
PICTURES man where are the damn PICTURES.....
Yeah damnit.

My boy got the "naked" version. I knew the scope would be marginal at best so we saved the money. And apparently "naked" appeals to twelve year old boys???

Delayed on the pick up so tomorrow is the day. Might "gift" the mini me a Leupold VX2 3-9X40. I am more exited than he is I think for his first high power rifle.

"People live too long, dogs don't live long enough" - FTF Member-

Old 02-22-2011, 12:07 AM   #19

Okay, here's a crappy picture.

dsc_0102.jpg  

Old 02-22-2011, 12:20 AM   #20
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2722 Times on 1327 Posts
Likes Given: 1386

Lon,

Send us some pics on the groups she shoots~ I have never had a Howa but understand they are an excellent rifle. Many times I have thought about getting one! How is the factory trigger on it? I knew they made the Weatherby Vanguard for Weatherby so must be a very decent rifle!
Let us know how she shoots. That 22-250 round is also known for it's accuracy and right at 3810 fps as I recall? That is D--- Fast and Flat!