Need alittle info... - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Need alittle info...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2010, 11:37 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDJr View Post
Thank you very much, so I need a good quality rifle, I would prob get a variable scope, only because it seems easier. Now what exactly goes into reloading are there set mixtures/builds or is it trial and error.
Sorry but I call BS on this thread. You say you deer hunt with bow & rifle; shoot a 25 for 25 in trap every single time; bird hunt every weekend; own a state of the art $1400 shotgun; and then have no idea that reloading is a very precise science - akin to an art? I may be wrong but this thread smells...

Last edited by NGIB; 03-18-2010 at 11:49 AM.

Old 03-18-2010, 11:59 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
Sorry but I call BS on this thread. You say you deer hunt with bow & rifle; shoot a 25 for 25 in trap every single time; bird hunt every weekend; and then have no idea that reloading is a very precise art? I may be wrong but this thread smells...
I said I went deer hunting, and that was when I was 16, and I just buy shotshells. I have no want or need to do any reloading, bc I have no problem going out and buying cases of ammo for trap and sheet shooting. Or go buy a case to go hunting for a weekend, so did I know there was an art to reloading. No I didn't but thanks for the heads up.

Old 03-18-2010, 01:23 PM   #23

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

I am done. This thread needs to be locked and forgotten.

Old 03-18-2010, 09:43 PM   #24

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I second that.

God, Family, Guns, in that order.

Old 03-18-2010, 11:42 PM   #25

Liked 46 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDJr View Post
I wanted to start long range shooting and hunting, but I'm not sure as to which kind of setup to get. Here are a few things I'm looking for

-Need it for big game hunting
-My goal is 600+ yards with targets
- Price Range is > 2000.
Hi Ray,
Let me take a stab at this. Rifles, like shotguns have become rather specialized. What you are asking is the equivalent of wanting a great trap gun that will also be a good field gun for quail. That sucker is not in anyone's product catalog.

Deer hunting bolt action rifles tend to be trim guns with slim sporter weight barrels and lower/medium power scopes (usually 2-7 or 3-10) in the 8 pound weight class. My two personal favorites are my Kimber M84 in 7mm-08 and my Steyr Pro-Hunter in .308. Both of them are perfect deer rifles from up close to 300+ yards which is about as far as I care to shoot deer at. Would I be able to take accurate shots at 600 yards at targets? Sure, but they are not optimal configurations for that purpose.

My long range guns are specifically built for that endeavor and they sport LONG heavy barrels and high power scopes and tip the scales at 15+ pounds. Hardly what you call portable. Will they take deer at 200 yards? You betcha. Will I ever take them out hunting? Heck no, who wants to lug them things through the woods...

Long range .308 (15 pounds)

Hunting .300 Win Mag (7.5 pounds)

Any good .308 sporter weight gun with a good 3-10 scope will allow you to go deer hunting and will also be fun shooting at targets informaly at pretty good ranges but will not be optimal for that because of it's limitations. There is good commercial ammo out there that will do for any purpose and there are enough options that should be able to find one that your rifle likes. I have found Black Hills 168 gr Match ammo to be universaly accurate in all my .308 guns for target work and Federal, Remington, Winchester and Hornady all make superb deer hunting .308 ammo in the 150-165 gr weight. One of them should perform just fine in your choice of guns.

I hope you find this info useful.

Old 03-18-2010, 11:53 PM   #26

Liked 710 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 729

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wambli View Post
Hi Ray,
Let me take a stab at this. Rifles, like shotguns have become rather specialized. What you are asking is the equivalent of wanting a great trap gun that will also be a good field gun for quail. That sucker is not in anyone's product catalog.

Deer hunting bolt action rifles tend to be trim guns with slim sporter weight barrels and lower/medium power scopes (usually 2-7 or 3-10) in the 8 pound weight class. My two personal favorites are my Kimber M84 in 7mm-08 and my Steyr Pro-Hunter in .308. Both of them are perfect deer rifles from up close to 300+ yards which is about as far as I care to shoot deer at. Would I be able to take accurate shots at 600 yards at targets? Sure, but they are not optimal configurations for that purpose.

My long range guns are specifically built for that endeavor and they sport LONG heavy barrels and high power scopes and tip the scales at 15+ pounds. Hardly what you call portable. Will they take deer at 200 yards? You betcha. Will I ever take them out hunting? Heck no, who wants to lug them things through the woods...

Any good .308 sporter weight gun with a good 3-10 scope will allow you to go deer hunting and will also be fun shooting at targets informaly at pretty good ranges but will not be optimal for that because of it's limitations. There is good commercial ammo out there that will do for any purpose and there are enough options that should be able to find one that your rifle likes. I have found Black Hills 168 gr Match ammo to be universaly accurate in all my .308 guns for target work and Federal, Remington, Winchester and Hornady all make superb deer hunting .308 ammo in the 150-165 gr weight. One of them should perform just fine in your choice of guns.

Very well put!

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 03-19-2010, 09:07 PM   #27

Quote:
Hi Ray,

Very useful, thank you.

Old 03-19-2010, 09:27 PM   #28

Liked 58 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Hi Ray,
Let me take a stab at this.
Those are GREAT photos, Wambli!

Old 03-20-2010, 01:21 AM   #29