Need alittle info... - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Need alittle info...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2010, 01:54 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts

Quote:
But how is hitting a piece of paper different then killing an animal.
If you have to ask that question then maybe you should stick to airsoft and paintball with your homies.

An animal is a living breathing being that feels pain. A sheet of paper doesn't feel crap. It is the moral obligation of every hunter to make the animals death as painless as possible. That means one shot one kill DRT (Dead Right There) Not Lets shoot a deer 700 yards away and film it suffering while we jump around like a bunch of (To Quote Blazing Saddles) Kansas City Faggots. If you can't tell the difference between a paper target and a live animals maybe you should not be hunting.

Last edited by cpttango30; 03-18-2010 at 01:57 AM.

Old 03-18-2010, 02:25 AM   #12

Liked 59 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDJr View Post
When you practice shooting for hunting purposes, you use a piece of paper with a bulls-eye on it, when you shoot the animals sweet spot thats were you would place the bulls-eye. How is that different?
Does your adrenalin rush and your heart beat out of your chest when you shoot a piece of paper? Does the piece of paper move? Do your hands quiver? Do you have to negotiate obstacles to shoot at your piece of paper?

Some day, after you have some experience, you'll be able to answer those questions to yourself.

Old 03-18-2010, 02:27 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
This thread has some good info. http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/whitetail-deer-thick-timber-308-338-06-a-24792/

Now for a 200 yard elk/Eastern bear gun my 7mm Rem Mag is great. I have an older Savage 110. Carries like a 2x4, but it is a great shooter. 6.5,7,7.62,7.7,7.92,9.3 will all fit what you want plus others.
? Can you shoot? What is the largest cartridge you shoot in a 3 month period? Consistently.
kool thanks for the info, I can shoot just not a rifle. I'm a shotgun guy, i can hit 25 out of 25 in trap one set after the other and I go waterfowl hunting every weekend during season. But thats all with a shotgun, I went hunting with a .30-30 for deer and the deer was 50 yards max. Cattango30, I never said I would shoot a deer from 700 yards, I'm smarter then that. my first post said 600 yards with targets. I'm a very big fan of the one shot one kill, when i go bow hunting i'm no more then 20 yards from the deer, and i would never shoot a deer from no more then 200 yards with a rifle. I was just looking for some info on a set-up that can reach out to 600 yards and that i can use when i go hunting.

Old 03-18-2010, 02:33 AM   #14

Quote:
No idea what BC or SC is. Realistcally I would like a setup to be able to kill game at any distance or hit a target at any distance. I now understand a scope is more important, so thank you. BUt how is hitting a piece of paper different then killing an animal. When you practice shooting for hunting purposes, you use a piece of paper with a bulls-eye on it, when you shoot the animals sweet spot thats were you would place the bulls-eye. How is that different?
The difference between a stationary target and a game animal? I think I can take that one on without even having hunted in twenty years.

A stationary range target is at a known distance, in controlled conditions, and it also does not have three dimensions. It's flat, it's always the same size, the same color, the same light conditions, and it's NEVER blocked or hidden behind foliage or natural obstructions.

A game animal can be in any number of positions as you line up your shot. When you take that shot at a 100 yards, you might be able to put your bullet in a pretty close group, even with some wind affecting your shot.

Take that shot out to 600 yards, and you have almost a second or more to account for in bullet travel time. I would say that your chance to hit increases almost exponentially for every 100-200 yards. I am sure that an expert marksman has way more room to play with. But me, I would say that the difficulty does increase that way.

Are you willing to take that chance? Are you willing to leave a game animal wounded half a mile out without a chance at a second shot? If so, I suggest you seriously consider sticking to target shooting. Hunting is not a game. Wounding an animal with a shot you are not entirely certain you can make (100% of the time, no matter the conditions) are in most cases illegal. A game animal is not a target. It is a living creature that feels fear, pain, and it WILL run if you do not kill it right out.

Things to think about before you Open Carry
Read this before you decide to carry!

Old 03-18-2010, 02:41 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorsHammer View Post
The difference between a stationary target and a game animal? I think I can take that one on without even having hunted in twenty years.

A stationary range target is at a known distance, in controlled conditions, and it also does not have three dimensions. It's flat, it's always the same size, the same color, the same light conditions, and it's NEVER blocked or hidden behind foliage or natural obstructions.

A game animal can be in any number of positions as you line up your shot. When you take that shot at a 100 yards, you might be able to put your bullet in a pretty close group, even with some wind affecting your shot.

Take that shot out to 600 yards, and you have almost a second or more to account for in bullet travel time. I would say that your chance to hit increases almost exponentially for every 100-200 yards. I am sure that an expert marksman has way more room to play with. But me, I would say that the difficulty does increase that way.

Are you willing to take that chance? Are you willing to leave a game animal wounded half a mile out without a chance at a second shot? If so, I suggest you seriously consider sticking to target shooting. Hunting is not a game. Wounding an animal with a shot you are not entirely certain you can make (100% of the time, no matter the conditions) are in most cases illegal. A game animal is not a target. It is a living creature that feels fear, pain, and it WILL run if you do not kill it right out.
Thanks for the info, but I'm NEVER going to shoot a deer or any type of game from a 600 yard distance. I posted twice that I was shooting targets at up to 600 yards and game at no more then 150 to 200 yards. I just wanted info on a rifle that I would be able to use for both situations.

Old 03-18-2010, 02:51 AM   #16

Quote:
Thanks for the info, but I'm NEVER going to shoot a deer or any type of game from a 600 yard distance. I posted twice that I was shooting targets at up to 600 yards and game at no more then 150 to 200 yards. I just wanted info on a rifle that I would be able to use for both situations.
OK! Sorry for the harsh answer bud. I was just making sure! Practicing at 600 yards sounds like a good idea. If you can be accurate at that range and in intermediate ranges such as 200-400 yards you should soon become proficient. I suppose I stepped out of line a bit there. My apologies.

Things to think about before you Open Carry
Read this before you decide to carry!

Old 03-18-2010, 02:57 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorsHammer View Post
OK! Sorry for the harsh answer bud. I was just making sure! Practicing at 600 yards sounds like a good idea. If you can be accurate at that range and in intermediate ranges such as 200-400 yards you should soon become proficient. I suppose I stepped out of line a bit there. My apologies.
No apologies necessary, I understand 100%.

Old 03-18-2010, 03:13 AM   #18

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Based on what I've read you'll be good with almost any of the larger non-magnum rounds. I would suggest you stick with something like the good ol 30-06, .308, .270,.280, 7mm08. They have enough oomph to cleanly dispatch game animals out to 200 yards provided you do your part.

Where you're going to run into trouble is it takes a vastly different scope to hunt out to 200 yards as it does to target shoot out to 600. For hunting a 3x-9x-40mm will be perfect for hunting but you'll want a lot more power to target shoot at long range. 1 solution would be to buy 2 scopes mounted in their own rings with detachable mounts and zero them both in. Another solution would be to buy something like a Nikon monarch 4x-16x. Turn it down to 4x for hunting and crank up for long distance target shooting.

Will you plan on reloading? It's almost mandatory that you'll need to reload. You'll also need 2 different loads-1 for hunting with a controlled expansion bullet and the other something like a match bullet with a high ballistic coefficient. Don't make the mistake of trying to hunt with a match bullet.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 03-18-2010, 03:38 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
Based on what I've read you'll be good with almost any of the larger non-magnum rounds. I would suggest you stick with something like the good ol 30-06, .308, .270,.280, 7mm08. They have enough oomph to cleanly dispatch game animals out to 200 yards provided you do your part.

Where you're going to run into trouble is it takes a vastly different scope to hunt out to 200 yards as it does to target shoot out to 600. For hunting a 3x-9x-40mm will be perfect for hunting but you'll want a lot more power to target shoot at long range. 1 solution would be to buy 2 scopes mounted in their own rings with detachable mounts and zero them both in. Another solution would be to buy something like a Nikon monarch 4x-16x. Turn it down to 4x for hunting and crank up for long distance target shooting.

Will you plan on reloading? It's almost mandatory that you'll need to reload. You'll also need 2 different loads-1 for hunting with a controlled expansion bullet and the other something like a match bullet with a high ballistic coefficient. Don't make the mistake of trying to hunt with a match bullet.
Thank you very much, so I need a good quality rifle, I would prob get a variable scope, only because it seems easier. Now what exactly goes into reloading are there set mixtures/builds or is it trial and error.

Old 03-18-2010, 12:03 PM   #20

Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts

SO were you lying here:

Quote:
I wanted to start long range shooting and hunting

or

Are you lying here:
Quote:
Cattango30, I never said I would shoot a deer from 700 yards
It is this kind of double talk that pisses me off. You asked about Long range shooting AND Hunting. Not Long range target shooting and a short range hunting stick.

Now you can't set up a rifle for long range shots and use it for hunting at 100 to 200 yards. These are just two very different set ups for a rifle and for shooting.