Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Need advice on a Mosin Nagant

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2013, 03:58 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimePorkchop View Post
Well - it's been 22 days since I paid - but I *FINALLY* got my rifle (still waiting on the ammo...sigh)

Annnnnnnnd it's caked is cosmoline, lol

I've read LOTS of home brewed methods on google searches of how to get the cosmoline off, but I need a source I can trust.

How have you guys/gals taken care of getting it off
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f37/mosin-clean-up-50737/

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

PrimePorkchop Likes This 
Old 01-27-2013, 04:19 AM   #32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 186 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 288

Take all the wood off, and let fly with the carb cleaner. Then hot soapy water, next real hot water, dry and put on some protective oil. I have even used the carb cleaner spray on the wood. I f the wood is super saturated with oil, I have sweat it out with a heat gun. Apply heat until the oil starts to sweat out, and then quick wipe off the oil. Repeat until the oil isn't coming out, or you are too tired to keep going. Watch the heat gun, don't burn the wood or catch the oily rags on fire.

GOA,NRA
Old Bolt Actions,
One round at a time.

"This is my Mosin,
There are many like it,
And three or so are mine."

PrimePorkchop Likes This 
Old 01-27-2013, 05:13 AM   #33

Liked 185 Times on 147 Posts
Likes Given: 103

If you have a heat gun use it on all the wood it works really well and it's fast to boot. As for the barrel I saw a YouTube video that I tried and worked well too. I used a two inch PVC pipe (maybe 2.5 or 3 inch I can't remember) and cut it to length of your barrel and receiver all the way to where the bolt slides out. Then fill it up to the top and let it soak in mineral spirits while you heat the cosmoline out of the stock. As for all of the other metal parts put them in a Tupperware or something that will fit them all and fill it up with more mineral spirits, just enough to cover all the pieces. Worked great for me virtually no cosmoline anywhere on it. Good luck!

Marlin Model 60
Mossberg Maverick 88-12 GA
Mosin Nagant 91/30
Stag Model 2
Smith And Wesson M&P 15-22
Mossberg ATR 100 "Night Train"-.308
Chinese T53 Mosin Nagant X2

Old 01-27-2013, 06:38 AM   #34

Liked 170 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I have used the PVC pipe method for the initial cleaning and I also use it filled with hot water and soap to clean the barrel/receiver after it has been fired.

The best method I have found, if you know someone who works in a plating shop, a friend of mine ran the metal parts thru their degreasing/cleaning tanks and they came out looking like new.

To Learn more about your new Mosin Nagant I suggest you go to 7.62 x 54.net.

US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
— Abraham Lincoln

Last edited by chuckusaret; 01-27-2013 at 06:40 AM.

Old 01-30-2013, 12:37 AM   #35

Liked 991 Times on 499 Posts
Likes Given: 2547

Okay - so this weekend i'll FINALLY HAVE TIME that I can sit down and strip all the cosmoline off my Mosin and get it looking all pretty.

Obviously I've been reading up as much as I can on them, but still have a few somewhat weird questions

Is there a way to attach a scope to these without serious modification? I have a Russian 91/30 Izhevsk (very common, nothing special... )

To get the cosmoline off, I know I have to completely disassemble everything and clean it all up, lube it all up, etc. I've been reading and watching plenty of videos, but:

1.) Any tips? Any "well **** I wish I had known that ahead of time" moments from other used-to-be 1st timers?

2.) Do I have to do this complete strip down after every time I shoot it since I'm using corrosive milsurp ammo? Or will basic cleaning suffice?

Old 01-30-2013, 01:24 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimePorkchop
Okay - so this weekend i'll FINALLY HAVE TIME that I can sit down and strip all the cosmoline off my Mosin and get it looking all pretty.

Obviously I've been reading up as much as I can on them, but still have a few somewhat weird questions

Is there a way to attach a scope to these without serious modification? I have a Russian 91/30 Izhevsk (very common, nothing special... )

To get the cosmoline off, I know I have to completely disassemble everything and clean it all up, lube it all up, etc. I've been reading and watching plenty of videos, but:

1.) Any tips? Any "well **** I wish I had known that ahead of time" moments from other used-to-be 1st timers?

2.) Do I have to do this complete strip down after every time I shoot it since I'm using corrosive milsurp ammo? Or will basic cleaning suffice?
For a no-gunsmith scope mount I recommend a "brass stacker" It attaches to the rear sight. I think there's a pin that you have to push out to be able to get it off. I know that you can only use long eye relief scopes with it though. I have no personal experience with it but I have only heard good things about them.

As for cleaning after using mildly corrosive milsurp ammo I spray windex down the barrel until it starts to come out the end. Then more windex. After that I run hot water down the bore and patches until dry then I clean as usual.

Marlin Model 60
Mosin Nagant 91/30
Stag Model 2

PrimePorkchop Likes This 
Old 01-30-2013, 01:25 AM   #37

Oh and good luck let me know if you end up using the brass stacker I've been thinking about one of those for mine.

Marlin Model 60
Mosin Nagant 91/30
Stag Model 2

PrimePorkchop Likes This 
Old 01-30-2013, 01:40 AM   #38

Liked 991 Times on 499 Posts
Likes Given: 2547

Thanks TNARG

So to understand you correctly - you do not do a complete strip down after shooting? Is there little to no worry about the corrosive properties of the primer getting in the gears and finer workings of the rifle?

Old 01-30-2013, 01:43 AM   #39

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimePorkchop View Post
Thanks TNARG

So to understand you correctly - you do not do a complete strip down after shooting? Is there little to no worry about the corrosive properties of the primer getting in the gears and finer workings of the rifle?
Just a basic cleaning of the bore and bolt. BTW, it's a Mosin Nagant...there are no fine gears and workings...

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

People Like This 
Old 01-30-2013, 01:43 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimePorkchop
Thanks TNARG

The only things you have to worry about are the bore and the face of the bolt. I didn't even think to look there and sure enough I had some rust build up lesson learned lol.

Marlin Model 60
Mosin Nagant 91/30
Stag Model 2

PrimePorkchop Likes This