Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > need advice on bolt action rifles

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2013, 02:17 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 36
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default need advice on bolt action rifles

So I've recently fired my friends 30-06 and his 308 and I loved them both. So I was looking for some advice from some more experienced shooters out there.
1. What if your favorite bullet size and why.
2. What bolt action rifles are highly custumizable.
3. What are your favorite bolt action rifles and why.

__________________
malmais is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 06-13-2013, 02:38 AM   #2
Moderator
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JonM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Rochester WI,Rochester WI
Posts: 17,099
Liked 5248 Times on 2738 Posts
Likes Given: 330

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by malmais View Post
So I've recently fired my friends 30-06 and his 308 and I loved them both. So I was looking for some advice from some more experienced shooters out there.
1. What if your favorite bullet size and why.
2. What bolt action rifles are highly custumizable.
3. What are your favorite bolt action rifles and why.
1. .458 its extremely versatile especially the ones chambered for 45-70. It can use blackpowder and modern gunpowder easily. Widest range of bullet choices in any size. 308 30-06 are close seconds

2. Savage 10/110 no question. They are the bolt gun version of the ar15

3. Winchester model 70 in the classic format pretty much anything with a mauser style control feed action. I especially like the springfield 1903A3.
__________________

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

JonM is offline  
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 02:48 AM   #3
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Axxe55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: East Texas, Texas!
Posts: 27,123
Liked 19814 Times on 11249 Posts
Likes Given: 49935

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by malmais View Post
So I've recently fired my friends 30-06 and his 308 and I loved them both. So I was looking for some advice from some more experienced shooters out there.
1. What if your favorite bullet size and why.
2. What bolt action rifles are highly custumizable.
3. What are your favorite bolt action rifles and why.
1. the 30-06 because of it's history and proven performance, and anything based off the 30-06 case.

2. like JonM said the Savage bolt actions are very easily custom built, even without sometimes the need for a gunsmith. of course any of the Mauser bolt actions and the Remington M700. both of these enjoy lots and lots of aftermarket support in parts and accessories.

i really don't have persay a favorite, because i like so many different types and for different reasons, but my short list and in no certain order would be these, the Remington M700, because i have had so many of them over the years and they just flat work, the Winchester M70, because of my father and it's what i learned on at very early age, the older Ruger M77 bolt actions, because for some reason i fell in love with them many years ago and currently my Marlin X7 series because for an inexpensive bolt action, they are very accurate and very well made at very decent price.
__________________
Coming From The Village Of The Damned.
Resist All Tyranny And Oppression.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil, is that good men do nothing." Edmund Burke.
Axxe55 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 03:50 AM   #4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 81
Liked 26 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

malmais,

What is the primary purpose of either a 308 or 30-06 rifle?

I have both for short range woods hunting, longer range hunting and target shooting.

For longer range hunting deer and coyotes I favor this 30-06 loaded with the Berger 155 gr VLD (H).

__________________
Control is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 06:46 AM   #5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Garadex's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Kalifornia
Posts: 1,267
Liked 225 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 228

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by malmais
So I've recently fired my friends 30-06 and his 308 and I loved them both. So I was looking for some advice from some more experienced shooters out there.
1. What if your favorite bullet size and why.
2. What bolt action rifles are highly custumizable.
3. What are your favorite bolt action rifles and why.
1. I've only shot .30 calibers soooo....
2. Savage or Remington.
3. I like Mauser's.
__________________

I'm gonna stop you right there, you just said an AR-15 is a high-powered rifle. It is obvious you don't know anything about guns and I shall ignore anything you say from this point on.

Garadex is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:39 AM   #6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 36
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default

Definitely a lot of great advice thank you all. To CONTROL: my primary use would be for hunting and customizing I have been diving into building my own guns and love it. Love getting my hands dirty and learning how things work. I also love trying to make things better. And I love bolt actions because to me it's like driving a stick shift, lets me be in more control.

__________________
malmais is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:11 PM   #7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
mdauben's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 441
Liked 97 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by malmais
1. What if your favorite bullet size and why.
If I had to pick one "bullet size" it would probably be .30 cal (.308, .30-06, .300 mag, etc.). The choices in this caliber are just very versatile. If you were to specify a particular task (deer hunting, target practice, varmint shooting) I might pick something different, but for all around usefulness I like the .30's

Quote:
Originally Posted by malmais
2. What bolt action rifles are highly custumizable.
Savage rifles seem to lend themselves to modification fairly well, particularly barrel swaps. The Remington 700 is probably got the widest aftermarket support, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malmais
3. What are your favorite bolt action rifles and why.
The Winchester Model 70. It's just a great, classic bolt action with a reputation for quality.
__________________

Last edited by mdauben; 06-13-2013 at 12:13 PM.
mdauben is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 01:21 PM   #8
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 10
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

1. .308, 30-06, 300 wsm are the only calibers I own. I wanted to consolidate cleaning accesories, jigs etc. I only hunt deer and felt a 30 caliber round offered the best one-shot down-on-the-ground-right-there results.

2. Scope mounting and/or changing to a stock that offers pillar or aluminum bedding, are my customizing limits. With few exceptions, I look for factory rifles that offer the bedding, floated barrels, and easily adjusted triggers, and hope they shoot 1" or better without me having to tinker. Once the scope is mounted, tensioning action screws is about as much influence has I want to have over a rifle platform. I'm not one to research a rifle purchase and wind up with something I need to rebuild. I've read that remingtons are best for aftermarket stuff. I don't currently have a remington.

3. Judging from my gun safe, I like synthetic bedded stocks, floated barrels, flat bottom receivers, and triggers less than 3.5#. Good examples of factory rifles with these features are TC Icon, Howa Hogue 1500 HB varminter, and the Winchester Mod 70 Extreme Sporter.

__________________
glewis is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 04:40 PM   #9
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

1. 6.5x55. Why? Because it is suitable for any N. American and most African game. Extremely versatile. Easy to reload. Extremely accurate. Low recoil.
2. I prefer the M98 Mauser action. Can be made into just about anything you want.
3. See 2.

ct

__________________
 
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:25 PM   #10
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 506
Liked 183 Times on 143 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Default

My favorite bolt action rifles are my (FN) Winchester Model 70 Featherweight 308 and my remarkably accurate Tikka T3 Stainless in 6.5x55. But if customizable is top of your criteria list Savage is KING because it has as much aftermarket as any rifle and you can do everything yourself rather easily thanks to it's barrel nut design. I have owned half a dozen Savages they and have been pleased with them all, not as refined as the Tikka or Winchester but they cost less and I can do anything to them without the aid of a gunsmith.
308 vs 30-06 is a long and drawn out debate, I own, handload and hunt with both. Boil all the BS down and what you come up with is with 150gr bullets there is hardly any difference between them, but if you want to step up to heavier bullets for larger then deer game the 06 holds a comfortable edge especially if you handload. In general I like the 06 more for it's reloading versatility but the short action 308 is just a hair more handy in the woods. The extra power the 06 has is not remotely needed on deer class game, both are a reasonable overkill.
Now the ideal cartridge for deer hunting IMHO is between the 6.5x55 (or it's modern ballistic twins) and the 7mm-08, they deliver flatter trajectories, low wind drift, exceptional penetration and more then enough killing energy at range for any deer that ever walked while keeping recoil to a minimum and meat damage is considerably less then the 30 calibers in my experience. I will give an honorable mention to the 270 Win too it is a tough customer at range.

__________________
Apex-Predator is offline  
axxe55 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
.22 lr single shot bolt action rifles? Gert999 .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion 36 01-03-2013 10:22 PM
Advice Needed - Bolt Action .22 (First Rifle) Jeff-Blaney .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion 30 11-18-2012 10:17 PM
Need advice for a bolt action Lightbourne General Rifle Discussion 10 08-29-2012 04:15 PM
What .22 bolt action rifles can i find at a gunshow? HGwarhawk .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion 4 03-03-2012 03:35 PM
Questions regarding Glock 18's and bolt-action-rifles TXWolf23 Gunsmithing Forum 15 12-30-2011 04:23 PM