Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Need advice for a bolt action (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/need-advice-bolt-action-71190/)

Lightbourne 08-27-2012 01:02 AM

Need advice for a bolt action

I'm looking for a .308 that has a longer effective range than my M1-A Scout and need the advice of this community for ideas. Thanks.

JonM 08-27-2012 01:09 AM

something with a 24" barrel. barrel length is your issue not the semi-auto action.

locutus 08-27-2012 08:03 PM

^^^^^ What he said^^^^^^^^^

ineverFTF 08-27-2012 08:32 PM

what they said :D

Dillinger 08-27-2012 08:40 PM

I would agree with what they said, but at the end of the day the .308 isn't exactly a "long range" round.

Sure, it will hit a 1,000 yards. With a moon shot and if you don't mind calculating for ice build up on the lands and grooves. :p

Do you want better long range, or it is imperative to stretch the .308 to it's maximum?

JD

Theblakester 08-27-2012 10:02 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Check out the FNAR. Not exactly a proven battle rifle, but cheaper and more accurate right out of the box. FN makes quality products and it's built off of the Browning BAR platform which has been proven for 50 years as reliable. I bought one used with a 20 inch heavy barrel for $900 with a Harris bipod. Slapped a descent Bushnell scope on it and shoots .5moa at 100 yds on sand bags with hornady TAP 168 grain. Before that I bought an M1A scout and put that same scope and several hundred dollars into it trying to get it to shoot well and just couldn't acheive anything less that 3"moa. Hell my AK almost shoots that good with an Eotech holographic.
U might also want to look at the Winchester sx-AR and the Browning BAR. Very similar but with more of a hunting type look.
BTW those two X'd out holes a few inches off were from still dialing in the scope.

billt 08-28-2012 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dillinger (Post 917833)
at the end of the day the .308 isn't exactly a "long range" round. JD

Very true. For a .30 caliber round the .308 is at best a 600 yard cartridge. As JD said it will hit at 1,000 yards, but there are far better choices in .30 caliber for shooting at this range. It is simply asking too much of the .308 to do it on a constant basis.

A .300 Win. Mag. is far better suited for the job. It will fire bullets up to and including 220 grain VLD types. Heavy bullets are far more desirable in 1,000 yard shooting, than the lighter 160-168 grain bullets the .308 is built around. In windy conditions a .308 is all but useless at 1,000 yards. The bullets are too light, and the time of flight is too long.

Lightbourne 08-29-2012 01:17 PM

Wow! Thank you all for the knowledge drop! I thought a bolt action and longer bbl would increase accuracy as well as range while using the same ammo for multiple rifles. Thanks again!

billt 08-29-2012 01:53 PM

One thing to remember with long range shooting, (1,000 yards and over), is that heavy bullets are more desirable than lighter ones. Lighter bullets can be launched at a much higher muzzle velocity. But because of their lighter weight, which also translates to a lower sectional density, they will shed their velocity much faster.

A heavy bullet with a much higher sectional density will start out slower, but it will retain it's velocity much longer. The result in long range shooting is the heavier bullet will remain supersonic longer, thereby arriving at the target sooner. What it loses in muzzle velocity, it gains in it's ability to shed velocity much slower because of it's higher sectional density. Also, because of the faster overall time of flight to the target, the less the bullet will drop.

Think of this as a "Tortoise & Hare" comparision. One starts out quicker, (lighter bullet), but loses it's energy faster, and arrives at the target later. A bullet succumbs to the effects of gravity as soon as it leaves the barrel. It's weight doesn't matter. Because the heavier bullet has an overall shorter time of flight, it will drop less. Not only that, but because of it's weight it is less effected by wind as it proceeds to the target. This means less wind doping for the heavier round at the same distance.

Think of higher sectional density as a passenger train with more cars. You have 2 trains, one with 5 cars, and the other with 10. If both trains are accelerated to 60 MPH on a flat, straight track, the 10 car train will coast further down the track before stopping, even though both have the same cross section and the same air resistance. This comparision is the same if you gauge a 168 grain .30 caliber bullet, to a 210 grain. Assuming everything else is pretty much equal.

kryptar19 08-29-2012 04:00 PM

You could try a Savage model 10 in .308 or .243. The .243, believe it or not, is actually better at 1000 yards. There are a lot of bench rest shooters that shoot it. My store has a model 10 with a heavy bedded action, over sized bolt handle, heavy threaded barrel, and a good trigger.

just my 2 cents...