Need Advice!
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Need Advice!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2008, 08:13 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Need Advice!

You guys have saved me from many a mistake thus far and here I am with another dilemma.

I am looking for a long range shooter. There are three rifles which I can buy. All for exactly the same price (trading a SIG P220)

The first is a Browning BAR in .270 Leupold 3X9. With no picture til later.

A Remington 710 in .270

and a Yugo SKS

Any thoughts?

Last edited by user4; 09-02-2008 at 09:04 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-02-2008, 09:12 PM   #2

If you mean by long range simply beyond handgun distances the SKS should get you to around 300 yards .

If you mean long range for your average deer/elk/bear hunter 300-500 yards the Bar is the hands down choice .

If you mean ultra long range shooting for anything neither one is suitable .

For those 600+ yard shots first off you will need to find somewhere to practice them and then get into the needed gun scope combination for which there are several choices all in high dollar rigs that the cost of the scopes alone will probably be more than the two guns you're asking about .

There are a few discussions on the subject which quite frankly I find as impractical to the average person as even the opportunities are very limited for such shooting and personally feel if you're taking such shots at game on a regular basis you should be improving your hunting skills and get at least within 300 yards of your intended quarry .

Comparing the average deer hunter in the woods to a long range military marksman is like trying to compare your 8 YO in little league to Barry Bonds it's nothing but a joke .

Old 09-02-2008, 09:34 PM   #3

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

So, let me get this straight. I have to choose between the SKS, the BAR, AND the Remy 710? Or just the SKS and the Remy pictured?

Define long range for you. Long range is subjective.

I guess, what is your intent for the weapon in question?

JD

Old 09-02-2008, 09:57 PM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I want to put together a good sniper's rig. Want to hit bad guys from beyond 500 meters. No one mentioned the browning. Weapon will not likely be used for hunting. I just want something for SHTF situation...Armageddon stuff.

Last edited by user4; 09-02-2008 at 09:59 PM.

Old 09-02-2008, 09:59 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2996 Times on 1561 Posts
Likes Given: 279

Let me get this straight, you are considering trading a P-220 for a Rem 710 or Yugo SKS? Are you as goofy as your avatar? Unless the P-220 is a POS, that would be a BAD deal (for you) IMHO. Someone would be willing to trade a BAR w/Leopold glass for a P-220? I'm assuming they want some cash also.

Of the three, the BAR is clearly the best bet (given that each is in comparable condition).

Why would you trade off a perfectly good P-220. It is the best pistol ever made by Sig (except the P-210)

Old 09-02-2008, 10:07 PM   #6

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

While I don't feel as strongly as Robo about the trade, I have to side with him.

The Sig P-220 is a very nice gun. Why get rid of it for an inferior bolt/semi weapon?

None of those weapons would make a "good sniper rig" in my opinion. Could I a couple of them work? Sure. Would it shoot as well as a factory or custom rig, probably not.

Of the three, and speaking merely from a platform to improve standpoint. I would rate them like this, depending on condition of all the firearms of course.

BAR
Remy
SKS

JD

Old 09-02-2008, 10:33 PM   #7

Quote:
I want to put together a good sniper's rig. Want to hit bad guys from beyond 500 meters. No one mentioned the browning. Weapon will not likely be used for hunting. I just want something for SHTF situation...Armageddon stuff.
LOL-- 550 yards with those choices. Your kidding right? It's hard to take you seriously when you talk about talking a man's life at 547 yards with a .270 (}I don't care if it's a browning, Remington, Salvage-- I mean Savage, or any other rifle of that caliber). Makes me think you have no idea what your talking about, let alone have the ability to deliver a shot at those ranges with any accuracy. Sorry if that offends you-- but I find the word "sniper rifle" and .270 together offensive.

That is not a flame-- please don't take it as one.

So that only leaves the SKS-- although after you get behind it and seriously start reaching out past 100 yards-- you'll find that it is inadequate for "hitting bad guys out to 500 meters".

Please tone it down a notch-- if a liberal see's this post-- it'll give more more reason for them to look at hunting rifles as "sniper rifles".

Happy Zombie hunting.

"Trust in God, but keep your powder dry."
signed,
Joe

Last edited by JPBeck; 09-02-2008 at 10:47 PM.

Old 09-02-2008, 10:36 PM   #8

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

+1 - If you must get one of them, the BAR wins hands down! Most SKS's are innacurate to begin with, adding a sleletonized plastic stock and a receiver-cover mounted scope only worsens it, and the Rem. 710 is a poor man's Mod.700 - not known for stellar accuracy, and it sells new for under $300.

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 09-02-2008, 10:53 PM   #9

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

This is why I come to you guys. I know next to nothing about long arms (clearly) I swear I'm not insane. I wouldn't make a trade without the approving nods of you fine gentlemen.

Is the BAR a GOOD trade or just the best trade?

Clearly the other two (both from the same guy) are off the table.

I appreciate the input (jabs at my sanity aside)

Old 09-02-2008, 10:56 PM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPBeck View Post
LOL-- 550 yards with those choices. Your kidding right? It's hard to take you seriously when you talk about talking a man's life at 547 yards with a .270 (}I don't care if it's a browning, Remington, Salvage-- I mean Savage, or any other rifle of that caliber). Makes me think you have no idea what your talking about, let alone have the ability to deliver a shot at those ranges with any accuracy. Sorry if that offends you-- but I find the word "sniper rifle" and .270 together offensive.

That is not a flame-- please don't take it as one.

So that only leaves the SKS-- although after you get behind it and seriously start reaching out past 100 yards-- you'll find that it is inadequate for "hitting bad guys out to 500 meters".

Please tone it down a notch-- if a liberal see's this post-- it'll give more more reason for them to look at hunting rifles as "sniper rifles".

Happy Zombie hunting.
I dont take any offense. I DON'T know about these weapons which is why I am asking. I don't want to get screwed. I thought I was clear that I wasn't assuming any knowledge.

I know my handguns well, but I get into these long arms and I am completely lost.