Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   NBC news-remington-700 rifle unsafe (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/nbc-news-remington-700-rifle-unsafe-33320/)

LONGHAIR 10-20-2010 10:58 PM

NBC news-remington-700 rifle unsafe

I just seen the nbc nightly news. They are saying the remington-700 rifle is unsafe,the safety is falty. Did anybody else see this story. NBC nightly news.com has the story if you missed it....

Dillinger 10-20-2010 11:10 PM

News Headlines

Here is the link. I would like to see an intelligent discussion on this please. Let's keep away from brand bashing just because. :rolleyes:

I will weigh in with my thoughts later on after some of the more experienced in the platform have had their say.

JD

LONGHAIR 10-20-2010 11:18 PM

Sorry cnbc tv on msnbc>com

Bigcountry02 10-20-2010 11:19 PM

I have a Remington 700 VTR, the only issue is range time neglect.

I would not be surprised that the problems happen is from preventive maintenance and firearm safety procedures. I see it at the range all the time.

News Headlines

Here is a link from gun reports:

“Remington Under Fire: A CNBC Investigation, ” Airs Oct. 20

Youtube

BudW 10-20-2010 11:23 PM

opppppppppppsssssssssssssss

Bigcountry02 10-20-2010 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dillinger (Post 371711)
News Headlines

Here is the link. I would like to see an intelligent discussion on this please. Let's keep away from brand bashing just because. :rolleyes:

I will weigh in with my thoughts later on after some of the more experienced in the platform have had their say.

JD

JD,

I will taking the 700 VTR to the range tomorrow! I am going to watch the report tonight. I want to see this CNBC report.

Sneak peek from tonight's show, also watch near the end of the sneak peek when the law enforcement sniper is firing position, there was no finger on the trigger and the 700 fired.

Gordo323 10-21-2010 12:12 AM

I have a 700 CDL in 7m.m. mag, Have shot about 200 rounds through it and carried it with a sling all day numerous times. Never had any problems. But if there is a problem, I definitely want to know about it!
Thank’s for the heads up:confused:

JonM 10-21-2010 12:44 AM

i remember a story about this guy taken to trial for shooting his wife out hunting. he claimed it was accidental discharge. the authorities couldnt replicate it. shortly before the trial a forensics epert figured out it would easily and repeatedly AD if it was upside down. the story didnt say what brand.

knowing how typial it is for people to muck with triggers and sears or send firearms to basement "experts" for trigger work, it surprises me its not more common.

i would be interested in per capita AD shown per unit sold by model and brand. i would hazard a guess the 700 series would fall right in the middle of such a study.

Bigcountry02 10-21-2010 01:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gordo323 (Post 371745)
I have a 700 CDL in 7m.m. mag, Have shot about 200 rounds through it and carried it with a sling all day numerous times. Never had any problems. But if there is a problem, I definitely want to know about it!
Thank’s for the heads up:confused:

I love my Remington VTR and will get another 700 in the near future!

I purchased the 700 VTR 223 in 2009, fired about 400 rounds (rough figure). I am going to the range in tomorrow (weather permitting, i.e. if thunderstorms, outdoor range is closed).

Remington 700 VTR has the REmington X-Mark Pro trigger, from the CNBC report is the new trigger assembly.

http://www.snipercentral.com/vtr.htm

I think everyone is going to look at this situation.

CNBC report is very scary!

The three most common scenarios for the fire control to malfunction are:

- When the user moves the safety switch from the "safe" mode to the "fire" mode

- When the user loads a new round into the breech (Fire closing the bolt)

- When the user cycles the bolt to eject a spent casing (Fire opening the bolt)

freefall 10-21-2010 02:07 AM

I own a Remington model 78 Sportsman, bargain basement model of 700. I don't like it because I'm prejudiced against Remingtons even tho I've never had a problem with it and it's fiendishly accurate. Guess I should just cut the receiver with a torch and throw it in the river, eh?:rolleyes: