my yugo 24/47 is sticky and inaccurate
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > my yugo 24/47 is sticky and inaccurate

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2009, 04:50 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default my yugo 24/47 is sticky and inaccurate

so i brought my mauser to the range today and at 21 yards it was shooting 10 inches high and 8 inches to the left!!! height i can understand at such a close range but the horizontal plane is just unacceptable what can i do other than bring it to a smithy. and my bolt dosnt seem to move as nicely as my turkish or as smoothy as the yugos i see on youtube. i swear there is no casmo left in the bolt body and its lubed up like a good saturday night. it just doesnt open and lock the firing pin smoothly it feels rough as if metal is rubbing on metal somewhere but WHERE? halp please

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-27-2009, 12:31 PM   #2

Liked 773 Times on 540 Posts
Likes Given: 842

8" left is an easy fix, drift the front sight blade slightly left. You can also get a higher front sight blade from Sarco or another Mauser surplus dealer. The Swede front sight blades from sarco fit my 24/47's also. If you shoot at 100 yards and are hitting 8"+ high, you need a +2.50 front blade. If w/ that blade it hits slightly low you can file small amounts down till the POI and POA match, finish w/ a little cold blueing. Does the bolt serial number match the receiver #?
What ammo are you using? That maybe another part of your issue. Is your cocking piece screwed in all the way? You should cock the bolt, engage the safety, remove the bolt and see if you can turn the shroud at the back end of the bolt clockwise. It screws all the way in. I wish you were closer. I'm sure I could have her all set in a hour or 2.

Old 12-27-2009, 04:40 PM   #3

the #'s do match... and its tough to work the action without ammo.. and the cocking piece is only turned one quarter (90 degrees) really just enough to engage the threads.... ill tighten it. and do i just hit the front sight over with a rubber mallet??

Last edited by vmonty; 12-27-2009 at 04:42 PM.

Old 12-27-2009, 04:48 PM   #4

For the front sight a brass punch and hammer. Lay the rifle on its' side and support the sight block w/ a piece of wood. If you have a small C clamp that would work great. You can put a piece of wood on the left side and turn the C clamp in until the sight starts to move.

Old 12-27-2009, 11:27 PM   #5

ok ill get on it.... but my firing pin was engaging the cocking piece completely.... can you think of another reason why my bolt doesnt work smoothy or am i just a ***** and just need to put more strength into each cycle? the gunsmith told me something before that the spring maybe new at least newer than the spring in my turk (my point of reference) that sounds logical right i just need to break her in... just shooting in the dark here

Old 12-27-2009, 11:48 PM   #6

Your rifle has a cock on opening bolt. Watch the back of the bolt when you lift the handle. It is not going to be harder to open because of the pin spring. You should take the bolt apart again and using a block of wood, press the pin into the wood and rotate the cocking piece 1/4 turn, raise the shroud slowly and the pin and spring will seperate from the shroud. Everything will come apart from the shroud. Soak all the parts in mineral spirits. You can still have some cosmoline in the cocking shroud. Wipe all the parts well and dry. Wipe them down and lube w/ CLP or like product and reassemble.

Here are some better instructions: K98k Mauser Page

Old 12-28-2009, 12:22 AM   #7

great page thanks

Old 12-28-2009, 04:15 AM   #8

are M48 parts interchangeable with 24/47's firing springs, pins and such????

Old 12-28-2009, 01:47 PM   #9

The M48 and 24/47 are both intermediate actions. The bolts are interchangable. The 98 has a longer action/ bolt.