My new Mosin Nagant was new in 1900 - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > My new Mosin Nagant was new in 1900

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2012, 12:02 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 34 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 1

There is a video of "changing them". You drill through the fired primer to center a flash hole in the existing anvil then use a larger drill to cut out the center of the Berdan primer leaving the walls. The Boxer supposed to fit properly within the Berdan's walls. Have not tried it yet but the video says it works fine. Knew there had to be a way to save all that good brass--lol.

Old 11-05-2012, 01:31 PM   #12

Liked 133 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 43

I have a 1930 Mosin Nagant 91/30. After I cleaned it up there was still a layer of cosmoline that was like dirt. I ended up using fine steel wool all over the outside of the metal parts of the gun to restore the original finish. My gun appears to have been unissued. It was the ugliest gun in the box yet the action was smooth as silk and the trigger was very nice. After several cleanings the bore now looks as good as a new rifle. At 80 yards the mosin is just as accurate as my Marlin 60 with open sights. At 80 yards wind is a great equalizer. I have shot stumps at the lake at unknown distances. When shooting across water the yards add up fast. A friend took his 300 magnum to the same spot. It has a scope with a mildot setup. He estimated the stumps to be around 600 yards away.

If you take care of your mosin and clean it up well your mosin will do the same thing. I use Brown Bear 203 gr soft point ammo. Surplus ammo is ok for plinking but for hunting you need to invest in quality ammo.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Old 11-06-2012, 03:38 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 190 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 292

It is too bad that Soviet Berdan primers are too large. If a source of those primers could be found, you could use those brass cases very easily. I hate to toss good brass cases after using them one time. Had a bunch of brass 8mm Mauser Berdan cases, and thought about drilling out the anvil. This was too time consuming and the primer pocket seemed deeper than the Boxer. Bought a Berdan de-primer, and found Berdan primers from Graf's, and now I reload the 8mm. Loading the Berdan is easy, and after the primer part, not different from loading Boxers I heard that some countries that use the 7.62mmx54r ,use smaller primers, and therefore these cases might be reloadable. I think that China may be one. Has anybody seen any rounds with the smaller Berdan primers. I don't think that there is much of a market for the larger Berdan primers with the abundance of cheap, steel-cased, 7.62mm ammo now. So I don't see Tula making any larger Berdan primers soon, but again, has anyone encountered a source of the larger Berdan primers?

GOA,NRA
Old Bolt Actions,
One round at a time.

"This is my Mosin,
There are many like it,
And three or so are mine."

Old 11-12-2012, 01:15 AM   #14

Liked 34 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 42

When to the Tulsa show this weekend. I noticed many fun new toys to add, but in the end, I added another Mosin Nagant to the safe. This second one is a 1930 91/30. Looks to me like it is laminated stock, maching numbers, hex reciever, that is is good shape, with an accessory kit (something that didn't happen with my first). I took a pic of the two of them together. The 1891 is in the back, and somehow looks a bit shorter than the 91/30. This is not a very good pic, but something to look at. I will have to try to have better pics after I get this second rifle cleaned up. Also, thanks for the help so far.

m1891-91-31.jpg  

Old 11-12-2012, 03:40 AM   #15

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebsca View Post
When to the Tulsa show this weekend. I noticed many fun new toys to add, but in the end, I added another Mosin Nagant to the safe. This second one is a 1930 91/30. Looks to me like it is laminated stock, maching numbers, hex reciever, that is is good shape, with an accessory kit (something that didn't happen with my first). I took a pic of the two of them together. The 1891 is in the back, and somehow looks a bit shorter than the 91/30. This is not a very good pic, but something to look at. I will have to try to have better pics after I get this second rifle cleaned up. Also, thanks for the help so far.
Pull the buttplate off of the new rifle, it will show whether its a laminate or not but I don't think laminated stocks were common on the pre-war rifles. Regarding the 1891, it may be a converted Dragoon M1891...Hard to tell exactly from the pictures but the front sight and rear sight should be noticeably different. Google Mosin Nagant Dragoon, you should find lots of info.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 12-12-2012, 03:52 AM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Friend of mine has the same sweet tooth as you at gun shows. He has bought better than thirty Mosins. He bought so many in one week, that I think the Feds may have visited him. He seems to think that the same thing that happened with .303 Enfields, will happen with Mosins, and the price go up. I don't think it will happen, just because of the numbers of Mosins that have entered the country. Talked him into buying gun safes for his hoard in case J. Edgar visits again. Hope he is right about the price going up, he says that I am in "the will".

GOA,NRA
Old Bolt Actions,
One round at a time.

"This is my Mosin,
There are many like it,

Old 12-12-2012, 04:05 AM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle View Post
Pull the buttplate off of the new rifle, it will show whether its a laminate or not but I don't think laminated stocks were common on the pre-war rifles. Regarding the 1891, it may be a converted Dragoon M1891...Hard to tell exactly from the pictures but the front sight and rear sight should be noticeably different. Google Mosin Nagant Dragoon, you should find lots of info.
Can possibly have a laminated stock if it was refurbished after the war. I have found two kinds of laminated stocks, one on a round receiver, and one I bought and found it was inletted to fit the No. one Hexagonal-style receiver. Is there a refurb cartouche on your stock? I agree that a laminated stock would not be original equipment for a hex receiver. I think they are strictly post-war. Maybe it's a prototype? I don't know.

GOA,NRA
Old Bolt Actions,
One round at a time.

"This is my Mosin,
There are many like it,

Old 12-12-2012, 10:45 AM   #18

Liked 19 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 5

You have nothing to worry about. People, myself including, shoot antique Mosins with full military loads all the time with no ill effects. Mine is an M-39 on a 1898 receiver. Good enough for Talvisota, good enough for me.

Old 12-12-2012, 12:46 PM   #19

Liked 34 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 1

HM2, having safes will not deter the alphabet boys from getting at them. Having his "hoard" under lock and key may be their concern. Why would he be recording C&R purchases--especially in large numbers? Just inviting problems.

Old 12-12-2012, 04:39 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Took my M1891 out today. I was shooting about 200 yards, without bayonet (do not have one yet). It shot ok, but from what I have read, it should be better when I put the bayonet on. I was only planning on 10 or 15 rounds, but in the end, I used all 30 rounds that I had with me. This rifle is way to much fun.
Unless you feel that you want to, you don't need to put a bayonet on your rifle. If the rifle doesn't shoot where you want it to, the sights up front can be moved. If the rifle shoots too high, lower your point of aim or put a taller front sight on. Unless you feel that you want to use a bayonet for some reason. The bayonet adds some to an already long rifle. If you aren't careful,"you'll put somebody's eye out".

GOA,NRA
Old Bolt Actions,
One round at a time.

"This is my Mosin,
There are many like it,