Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > My new Mosin Nagant was new in 1900

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2012, 01:29 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 34 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Default My new Mosin Nagant was new in 1900

I had been reading up on the mosin nagant 91/30s and went looking for something from just before World War II, say about 1939. I was looking forward to digging around and picking one out at the big gun show in our area. What I did not expect to do was look around and find three m1891s. I am more of a long rifle guy, and they stole the show for me. As I looked them over, the one that demanded my attention was from 1900. She was in good shape for being 112 years old. I looked her over for a bit before the salesman came over. I found out fast that I may have read up a bit on the rifles, and knew a small bit, but I was way out of my league trying to make my first milsurp buy. I had no idea what a forced match was, or what any of the stamps meant or would add (or subtract) to the value. In the end, I knew that I would have to take her home and make her mine.

It has been two days since I got her home, but I still have not stripper her down very far. I have pulled out the cleaning rod and taken the bolt out and taken the bolt apart some of the way. That has been enough to see that I will have finish cleaning the cosmoline off and out.

I got her with the idea of shooting her, but have a few questions still. As she is over 100 years old, but spent much time in long term storage, should I worry about running just any ammo in her, or should I look for something loaded a little light? I know that I should run a set of go no-go gauges in before I send round down range, and lots of cleaning before anything else, but is that it? I know I need to break it down to every little piece to clean, but that seems so wrong with something that has so much history.

I will try to get some pics up soon. As it turns out, my wife can’t find the charger for her good camera, and I am having a hard time getting some good pics with my 9 year old camera.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-16-2012, 06:46 PM   #2

Liked 175 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 50

Any gun that old will have metallurgy inferior to newer guns. Even the '03 US Army rifles with low serial numbers are considered questionable for safe shooting. I suspect that the Russian guns are no different. A light load would be a good idea.

Old 10-16-2012, 06:58 PM   #3

Liked 160 Times on 113 Posts

I have a 91/30 and while I havnt shot it yet it still needs to be completely broken down for cleaning. I had mine cleaned and back together in two days. Personally I enjoyed the process. And while it is a historical rifle its by no means so valuable you shouldn't mess with it. Unless your mosin is special somehow I wouldn't worry about historical value. Now I have a question for y'all. I ran some dummy rounds through it and its a 50/50 chance that they'll chamber easily or sometimes I have to give the bolt handle a good smack downward to completely chamber the round. Is this normal?

Old 10-16-2012, 11:25 PM   #4

Liked 175 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 50

The ornery bolt on a 91/30 is considered a feature and not a flaw. It is fairly normal.

Old 11-04-2012, 02:30 AM   #5

Liked 34 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Took my M1891 out today. I was shooting about 200 yards, without bayonet (do not have one yet). It shot ok, but from what I have read, it should be better when I put the bayonet on. I was only planning on 10 or 15 rounds, but in the end, I used all 30 rounds that I had with me. This rifle is way to much fun.

Old 11-04-2012, 02:31 AM   #6

Liked 1414 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello
vincent Likes This 
Old 11-04-2012, 02:42 AM   #7

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by potentialglock View Post
I have a 91/30 and while I havnt shot it yet it still needs to be completely broken down for cleaning. I had mine cleaned and back together in two days. Personally I enjoyed the process. And while it is a historical rifle its by no means so valuable you shouldn't mess with it. Unless your mosin is special somehow I wouldn't worry about historical value. Now I have a question for y'all. I ran some dummy rounds through it and its a 50/50 chance that they'll chamber easily or sometimes I have to give the bolt handle a good smack downward to completely chamber the round. Is this normal?
It's normal to a point...what I mean is, most Mosins will have a heavy bolt...if it feels like you need a 2x4 to smack it loose the chamber may need a good cleaning. Sometimes the residual cosmoline that gets left in the bolt melts into a sticky varnish-like substance that coats the chamber...this coating gets tacky with heat and causes excessive "sticky bolt syndrome."

http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinCleaning.htm#Sticky

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Rick1967 Likes This 
Old 11-04-2012, 11:56 AM   #8

Liked 1091 Times on 706 Posts
Likes Given: 276

Congrats on your purchase. You bought an outstanding historical artifact. That one probably fought in the Russian revolution and both world wars. It is probably also a safe and reliable shooter.

In the years I have been around Mosins, I have only seen one failure of the metal; that in a cracked receiver. That one was all over the web a year or two ago. Who knows why that one broke; it may have been due to some creative reloading. These guns are tough as nails, and were over-built. I have some older than 1900, and have never been the least bit aprehensive about shooting one.

Have the headspace checked. Either buy the gauges or have a smith do it for you. If that is acceptable, the gun will be fine. Of course, when you take it down, it never hurts to go over the whole thing with a fine tooth comb. (or a lighted magnifier)

Good luck and good shooting!

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 11-04-2012, 12:39 PM   #9

Liked 34 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Love my mosins. Think I have three that I have not fired yet-or cleaned. Rotator cuff has my shoulder sore so am afraid to bruise it more. Did fire an 8mm Mauser a couple weeks ago--and wished I had not. Nagants are hard to beat especially when you load your own rounds. It cuts down on the "fireball" and noise a bit. Makes a lot of difference. I like the light ball better but it still produces a lot of smoke/noise. Will be trying the drilling out of Berdan primers and inserting Boxers soon. Have a good bit of Berdan brass cases that hopefully will work.

Old 11-04-2012, 01:01 PM   #10

Liked 1670 Times on 943 Posts
Likes Given: 1127

Quote:
Originally Posted by -06 View Post
Love my mosins. Think I have three that I have not fired yet-or cleaned. Rotator cuff has my shoulder sore so am afraid to bruise it more. Did fire an 8mm Mauser a couple weeks ago--and wished I had not. Nagants are hard to beat especially when you load your own rounds. It cuts down on the "fireball" and noise a bit. Makes a lot of difference. I like the light ball better but it still produces a lot of smoke/noise. Will be trying the drilling out of Berdan primers and inserting Boxers soon. Have a good bit of Berdan brass cases that hopefully will work.
Good luck with that. Berdan primers are larger than boxer primers. I have deprimed berdans. But the holes were too big for the boxers.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.