Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   My new Mosin Nagant was new in 1900 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/my-new-mosin-nagant-new-1900-a-74404/)

jebsca 10-16-2012 01:29 AM

My new Mosin Nagant was new in 1900

I had been reading up on the mosin nagant 91/30s and went looking for something from just before World War II, say about 1939. I was looking forward to digging around and picking one out at the big gun show in our area. What I did not expect to do was look around and find three m1891s. I am more of a long rifle guy, and they stole the show for me. As I looked them over, the one that demanded my attention was from 1900. She was in good shape for being 112 years old. I looked her over for a bit before the salesman came over. I found out fast that I may have read up a bit on the rifles, and knew a small bit, but I was way out of my league trying to make my first milsurp buy. I had no idea what a forced match was, or what any of the stamps meant or would add (or subtract) to the value. In the end, I knew that I would have to take her home and make her mine.

It has been two days since I got her home, but I still have not stripper her down very far. I have pulled out the cleaning rod and taken the bolt out and taken the bolt apart some of the way. That has been enough to see that I will have finish cleaning the cosmoline off and out.

I got her with the idea of shooting her, but have a few questions still. As she is over 100 years old, but spent much time in long term storage, should I worry about running just any ammo in her, or should I look for something loaded a little light? I know that I should run a set of go no-go gauges in before I send round down range, and lots of cleaning before anything else, but is that it? I know I need to break it down to every little piece to clean, but that seems so wrong with something that has so much history.

I will try to get some pics up soon. As it turns out, my wife canít find the charger for her good camera, and I am having a hard time getting some good pics with my 9 year old camera.

JWagner 10-16-2012 06:46 PM

Any gun that old will have metallurgy inferior to newer guns. Even the '03 US Army rifles with low serial numbers are considered questionable for safe shooting. I suspect that the Russian guns are no different. A light load would be a good idea.

potentialglock 10-16-2012 06:58 PM

I have a 91/30 and while I havnt shot it yet it still needs to be completely broken down for cleaning. I had mine cleaned and back together in two days. Personally I enjoyed the process. And while it is a historical rifle its by no means so valuable you shouldn't mess with it. Unless your mosin is special somehow I wouldn't worry about historical value. Now I have a question for y'all. I ran some dummy rounds through it and its a 50/50 chance that they'll chamber easily or sometimes I have to give the bolt handle a good smack downward to completely chamber the round. Is this normal?

JWagner 10-16-2012 11:25 PM

The ornery bolt on a 91/30 is considered a feature and not a flaw. It is fairly normal.

jebsca 11-04-2012 02:30 AM

Took my M1891 out today. I was shooting about 200 yards, without bayonet (do not have one yet). It shot ok, but from what I have read, it should be better when I put the bayonet on. I was only planning on 10 or 15 rounds, but in the end, I used all 30 rounds that I had with me. This rifle is way to much fun.

canebrake 11-04-2012 02:31 AM

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...icons/pics.jpg

Jpyle 11-04-2012 02:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by potentialglock (Post 979024)
I have a 91/30 and while I havnt shot it yet it still needs to be completely broken down for cleaning. I had mine cleaned and back together in two days. Personally I enjoyed the process. And while it is a historical rifle its by no means so valuable you shouldn't mess with it. Unless your mosin is special somehow I wouldn't worry about historical value. Now I have a question for y'all. I ran some dummy rounds through it and its a 50/50 chance that they'll chamber easily or sometimes I have to give the bolt handle a good smack downward to completely chamber the round. Is this normal?

It's normal to a point...what I mean is, most Mosins will have a heavy bolt...if it feels like you need a 2x4 to smack it loose the chamber may need a good cleaning. Sometimes the residual cosmoline that gets left in the bolt melts into a sticky varnish-like substance that coats the chamber...this coating gets tacky with heat and causes excessive "sticky bolt syndrome."

http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinCleaning.htm#Sticky

Chainfire 11-04-2012 11:56 AM

Congrats on your purchase. You bought an outstanding historical artifact. That one probably fought in the Russian revolution and both world wars. It is probably also a safe and reliable shooter.

In the years I have been around Mosins, I have only seen one failure of the metal; that in a cracked receiver. That one was all over the web a year or two ago. Who knows why that one broke; it may have been due to some creative reloading. These guns are tough as nails, and were over-built. I have some older than 1900, and have never been the least bit aprehensive about shooting one.

Have the headspace checked. Either buy the gauges or have a smith do it for you. If that is acceptable, the gun will be fine. Of course, when you take it down, it never hurts to go over the whole thing with a fine tooth comb. (or a lighted magnifier)

Good luck and good shooting!

-06 11-04-2012 12:39 PM

Love my mosins. Think I have three that I have not fired yet-or cleaned. Rotator cuff has my shoulder sore so am afraid to bruise it more. Did fire an 8mm Mauser a couple weeks ago--and wished I had not. Nagants are hard to beat especially when you load your own rounds. It cuts down on the "fireball" and noise a bit. Makes a lot of difference. I like the light ball better but it still produces a lot of smoke/noise. Will be trying the drilling out of Berdan primers and inserting Boxers soon. Have a good bit of Berdan brass cases that hopefully will work.

Rick1967 11-04-2012 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -06 (Post 1001334)
Love my mosins. Think I have three that I have not fired yet-or cleaned. Rotator cuff has my shoulder sore so am afraid to bruise it more. Did fire an 8mm Mauser a couple weeks ago--and wished I had not. Nagants are hard to beat especially when you load your own rounds. It cuts down on the "fireball" and noise a bit. Makes a lot of difference. I like the light ball better but it still produces a lot of smoke/noise. Will be trying the drilling out of Berdan primers and inserting Boxers soon. Have a good bit of Berdan brass cases that hopefully will work.

Good luck with that. Berdan primers are larger than boxer primers. I have deprimed berdans. But the holes were too big for the boxers.