Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > My New Marlin. WOW!

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2012, 03:26 AM   #41
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 24,458
Liked 16820 Times on 9746 Posts
Likes Given: 43875

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreecher View Post
Hock. Exactly! It's just a product. I bought my Marlin based on reviews that were a couple years old and didn't reflect current production. But I'll never buy a Marlin that's post 2008, it's just a Remington and that's fact!
again kreecher, you're wrong. current production Marlins are made in a Remington factory but as exactly as Marlin was making them, on the same equipment. the only thing that makes them a Remington is the REP rollmark on the barrel instead of the Marlin rollmark JM. a dirty used rifle is not any reflection of the maker of the rifle and is on the seller. i have said before, even in the recent last couple of weeks i have been looking at new Marlins and have found that they are of very good quality.

face it kreecher, you got sold a rifle by an online dealer who tried to pass it off as new when it was used. maybe you don't need and rifle, but a pacifier, because you're acting like a crybaby. grow up and start acting like an adult, accept the facts, everyone else sees it for what it is. you're perpetrating a lie about the rifle when it was the fault of the dealer who sold it to you. keep whining and all you are doing is sounding like a little child. jeesh. are you even for real?
__________________
Axxe55 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:51 AM   #42
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Phoenix, Arizona,Glendale, Arizona
Posts: 1,642
Liked 157 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 119

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreecher View Post
Hock. Exactly! It's just a product. I bought my Marlin based on reviews that were a couple years old and didn't reflect current production. But I'll never buy a Marlin that's post 2008, it's just a Remington and that's fact!
Your statement doesn't even make sense. That's like saying I wouldn't buy a Lincoln because it's just a Ford. What's so "wrong" with either? You got hosed from a dealer who sold you a used weapon for new. How does this have anything to do with the manufacturer? If I buy a used car, and the dealer at the lot had the mileage was rolled back, that has nothing to do with whoever built the car when it rolled off the assembly line. You're blaming the wrong people for your troubles.
__________________
billt is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 11:26 AM   #43
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 3,617
Liked 812 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Default

I tried to return my last Marlin -- they wouldn't take it back (Dick's Sporting Goods policy). Out for factory repair under warranty though at REMINGTON'S DIRECTION and they charged me. I forgot to mention I had a rebate coming but Remington/Marlin failed to make work well either. After registering online, twice, and sending in forms it STILL took about a half dozen calls, faxes, and six months.

I certainly wouldn't buy the 870 Remington shotguns anymore. Now I'd be careful about every other of their and Marlin-named guns and not factor the rebate into the equation.

__________________

Last edited by HockaLouis; 05-15-2012 at 11:29 AM.
HockaLouis is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 12:36 PM   #44
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Phoenix, Arizona,Glendale, Arizona
Posts: 1,642
Liked 157 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 119

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis View Post
I certainly wouldn't buy the 870 Remington shotguns anymore. Now I'd be careful about every other of their and Marlin-named guns and not factor the rebate into the equation.
Not all Remington 870's are the same quality wise. Granted that is no excuse that your gun should not have worked properly, but if you purchased it from Dick's, or any of the other chain sporting goods stores, you more than likely got an "Express" model, (plastic trigger group), and not the Wingmaster or Police model which is made to a much higher quality standard.

If you are going to purchase a lower grade model your best bet is to purchase it through a local dealer in your area from Davidson's because they have a Lifetime Free Replacement Warranty on every gun they sell, regardless of make and model. It surprises me that more people don't do this. You might pay a few bucks more, but it's very cheap insurance that allows you to purchase a gun that has the same basic guarantee as a Craftsman Tool.

They will replace any gun they sell with a new one should anything go wrong, as long as you are the original buyer. They are the first place I look when I'm in the market for any new weapon. They don't always have the make and model you want, but they carry a large amount and restock frequently. I have mentioned this in the past in threads, and sometimes get back, "Yeah, but you pay more", etc. Many of these same people buy elsewhere, have issues much like yours, then complain about it endlessly. Davidson's makes all of this avoidable.

I once used their guarantee on a new Ruger Mark II .22 pistol. It broke after around 80 rounds the first time I took it out to the range. (Trigger wouldn't reset). I called my dealer who had another gun sent before I got there. I had a brand new gun in my hand 24 hours later. No one else would have provided that kind of customer satisfaction in the firearms industry. The best anyone else would have done is send it back to the factory. That more than likely would have required a wait for weeks, only to receive what would amount to a repaired, "new" firearm.
__________________
billt is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 02:10 PM   #45
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Pasco Cty.FL
Posts: 6,202
Liked 2184 Times on 1253 Posts
Likes Given: 1777

Default

Unscrupulous gun dealers must get away with this

crap, on many occasions, if they also get nailed so

egregiously, with their hand in the cookie jar,

all the way up to the elbow.


Kind of makes you wonder how many times they

do the exact same thing they did to kreecher,

and get away with it...

Think about it, somebody picks up the gun,

assumes it's clean, takes it to the range and

puts a couple boxes of ammo through it before carefully

looking it over, and the seller is home, scott-free...

__________________

Last edited by therewolf; 05-16-2012 at 02:14 PM.
therewolf is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 02:55 PM   #46
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 3,617
Liked 812 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Default

To be clear, the particular issue I refer to here was w/a Marlin rifle. The Rem 870 (Express) Shotgun is just another problem-plagued arm out-of-the-box I wouldn't touch anymore.

__________________
HockaLouis is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 03:08 AM   #47
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 21
Default

Guys just do your home work! I really got stuck on buying a 7mm-08 in ss (just because it was different) when I could have easily got my hands on a 270 or 308. But having my hands on both the Marlin xs7s and the T/C Venture. The T/C is a more robust built rifle. It just feels better the moment you pick it up. The T/C claims 1" moa at 100 yds. We'll see! Even though beat up, the bolt on that Marlin was absolutely slick.

__________________
kreecher is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 04:40 AM   #48
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 24,458
Liked 16820 Times on 9746 Posts
Likes Given: 43875

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreecher View Post
Guys just do your home work! I really got stuck on buying a 7mm-08 in ss (just because it was different) when I could have easily got my hands on a 270 or 308. But having my hands on both the Marlin xs7s and the T/C Venture. The T/C is a more robust built rifle. It just feels better the moment you pick it up. The T/C claims 1" moa at 100 yds. We'll see! Even though beat up, the bolt on that Marlin was absolutely slick.
kreecher, maybe you need to do some homework! i have been looking at new Marlins for a couple of years now. like i said i already have three X7's, and just ordered two new ones from my dealer.if i wasn't pleased with the quality and accuracy of them, i sure as heck wouldn't have ordered more of them, and sure wouldn't keep the ones i have. i don't keep any firearm very long when it doesn't meet or exceed my expectations of performance i demand from them. i don't buy guns from online dealers because i can get my dealer to order them. brand new and in a sealed box. not used and reboxed. i glad you're happy with robust! robust doesn't mean accurate. i held and shot many much more robust rifles than my Marlins, Remingtons, Rugers and Winchesters, but it didn't make them any more accurate or well built. i have had some robust rifles that would serve better as jackhandles rather than a rifle. my Marlins do quite well in regards to accuracy. 1/4-1/2" groups @100 yards with handloads are very common for mine.
__________________
Axxe55 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 05:00 AM   #49
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: fordland,missouri
Posts: 11,099
Liked 860 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Guys just shut up and let this die please. Its not worth it and we all know it.

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

__________________
Marlinman is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 05:18 AM   #50
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: West, by God, Funroe,Louisiana
Posts: 18,707
Liked 9185 Times on 5049 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinman
Guys just shut up and let this die please. Its not worth it and we all know it.

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did
I've been stopping in on occasion to have a little look-see myself. Reminds me of the kiddy table at the family reunions...
__________________
trip286 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Marlin 444 buckshop General Rifle Discussion 6 10-08-2011 03:30 PM
Marlin 336 MyWorld General Rifle Discussion 8 10-02-2011 05:06 PM
Value of a Marlin 336 dgray64 General Rifle Discussion 8 09-22-2011 01:49 AM
marlin 57 pullbob .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion 1 07-06-2010 06:42 AM
Marlin 795? CA357 .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion 10 11-23-2009 05:14 PM