My New Marlin. WOW! - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion >

My New Marlin. WOW!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2012, 04:38 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 157 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 119

In reading through these 3 pages I must agree with axxe55. You did not get a new rifle. No way. There is not any new rifle in existence, not even Ruger who is the worst for shipping new weapons dirty after proof testing, that would take that many patches to get clean. Scratches, rust on the bolt, Remington box for a Marlin. I mean come on, no company would try to pawn off weapons like that as new. I don't care who bought them out.

You were victimized by an unscrupulous dealer who, for whatever reason, was trying to unload a returned weapon as a new one. I've heard of stories like this taking place from Internet sales before. The only Internet dealings I've had with purchasing new guns was from Davidson's. On every box I've received, I was the one to cut the factory tape on it, and was the first to view the weapon. Most dealers prefer that because if something is wrong, it takes them out of the equation. Davidson's also tells dealers to reject boxes that come damaged without even opening them. Davidson's also has a Lifetime Free Replacement Warranty should something not be right.

Unfortunately there is more and more of these type of transactions taking place these days. The Internet makes this type of skulduggery easier to undertake in, and harder to correct.

Old 05-10-2012, 05:01 PM   #32
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22314 Times on 12477 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

thank you BillT! for explaining my viewpoint. that was exactly the point i was making and Kreecher got all bent out of shape. how could someone blame the rifle, when the seller is the one to blame? the brand IMO is totally irrelevent and it could have been any brand that this happened with. but because of all the internet myths and rumours floating around, he found it easier to blame the rifle than the seller for selling him a used rifle when he thought he was getting a new one.

the only time i have ever pulled that many patches trough dirty was on a used rifle that had never been cleaned. i have from day one, always cleaned a rifle before shooting, and have found that on most new ones, that i never needed over 2-3 patches to clean. part of the reason i buy from my LGS vs. an online dealer. plus i deal with a very reputable gun dealer who has been in business for over 35 years in the same location. the only time i would ever consider buying online is something much older and used and then i would also realize that there may be some issues that might need attention. but with the quantity and availability of the Marlins, i seriously doubt i would ever buy one online when my LGS would be more than happy to order one if he didn't stock it. i know he ordered my Marlin XS7VH 308 for me.

Old 05-11-2012, 03:31 PM   #33

Of course it's not new. It was just sold that way. The only question left is whether it came from the factory or the dealer that way. The dealer said it came from the factory that way. Considering how they treated me, I have a tendency to believe them. In the end, everything turned out ok. I got a brand new TC in 7mm-08, looks great. Whether it fires good, that remains to be seen?

Old 05-11-2012, 05:55 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreecher View Post
Of course it's not new. It was just sold that way. The only question left is whether it came from the factory or the dealer that way. The dealer said it came from the factory that way. Considering how they treated me, I have a tendency to believe them. In the end, everything turned out ok. I got a brand new TC in 7mm-08, looks great. Whether it fires good, that remains to be seen?
but you got on the bandwagon and started saying Marlins were junk, not that the seller misrepresented what was being sold. yes it was sold that way by the dealer you bought it from and no, i don't care what he told you, that rifle didn't come from the factory that way. you just got lucky he decided to exchange it. you can believe anything you want to, but i have been buying rifles new and used for many years now and the only ones that were ever that dirty were well used and poorly maintained. i'm glad they took care of their problem and wish you luck with the new rifle. the 7mm-08 is a fantastic caliber. i have the XS7 in 7mm-08 myself and it can drive tacks all day long. the Marlin X7 series have an excellent reputation for accuracy and it's too bad you got duped on one and didn't get to find out how good they really are. enjoy the new rifle.

Old 05-12-2012, 09:50 AM   #35

I keep seeing posts about new Marlin nightmares...

Old 05-12-2012, 10:42 AM   #36
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1932 Times on 1369 Posts
Likes Given: 2183

Default Made in the U.S.A.

Heres the problem, it's either made and or assembled out side the U.S. or it's made in the U.S. by people that don't give a S$IT about Quality....This is the world we live in, gone are the guns that last for generations, and not only guns..... Freezers, water heaters, stoves, the list goes on.......

Old 05-12-2012, 02:51 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo13 View Post
Apollo, it's an internet myth perpetrated by those who wanted to make a bunch of bad publicity about Remington buying out Marlin then later on moving the operations to the New York plant and the Mayfield Kentucky plant. yes they did have some minor problems with the lever actions when they resumed operations, but those were resolved pretty quickly. another problem they had was they had just recently brought out the new XT22 rifle and were having problems matching production to demand.

i just yesterday was at my LGS and looked over many new Marlins, a couple of 336's, a 1895 in 45-70 a 1894 in 44Mag. and several X7's in different calibers and finishes. well i already own several older and newer Marlins, and i can honestly say, there wasn't anything that would deter me from buying another new one. i really have my eye on two he has, a stainless XS7 in 243 and the 1894 in 44Mag. so instead of listening to a bunch of internet whiners, go to your LGS and check them out for yourself.

Old 05-12-2012, 05:41 PM   #38

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreecher View Post
How many of you swab the barrel before you buy a new/used gun?
I have always shot the used gun beforehand. Only one did I not shoot, and it was given to me... and it shoots wonderfully!

Old 05-13-2012, 01:16 AM   #39

Liked 815 Times on 623 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo13 View Post
And I think you'll continue to. People can get personal and defensive about things -- some oddly so.

Old 05-15-2012, 02:50 AM   #40

Hock. Exactly! It's just a product. I bought my Marlin based on reviews that were a couple years old and didn't reflect current production. But I'll never buy a Marlin that's post 2008, it's just a Remington and that's fact!