Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > My New Marlin. WOW!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2012, 12:16 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2442 Times on 1391 Posts
Likes Given: 1910

Sorry, Axxe,

I'm just seeing a lot of posts and threads about bad Marlins.

I must say I got one of the good ones, with the proper stampings,

a tight action, and incredible Black Walnut furniture. I sympathize

with those having issues, as well as being relieved I wasn't put

through the arduous task of pursuing Marlin to make good on

a bad unit.

Old 05-08-2012, 01:34 PM   #12
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19947 Times on 11336 Posts
Likes Given: 50308

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis View Post
Axxe, what's with the defensive attitude?

First of all, the trigger on my gun which their factory gunsmith told me hasn't changed it's money-saving design in almost 50 years, isn't "adjustable."

Second, again, it was UNDER WARRANTY and THEY said it was bad, out of spec, and gave me two REMINGTON places to send it for free repair or replacement. It was then they changed their mind per a new rule and for 1/10th of a pound got a comparative king's ransom to send me my property back and make my gun even operable.

Remington gotta pay for those infomercials!
Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf View Post
Sorry, Axxe,

I'm just seeing a lot of posts and threads about bad Marlins.

I must say I got one of the good ones, with the proper stampings,

a tight action, and incredible Black Walnut furniture. I sympathize

with those having issues, as well as being relieved I wasn't put

through the arduous task of pursuing Marlin to make good on

a bad unit.
Hock, i am guessing you have a lever action? and something just doesn't add up here, you sent it in for a warranty repair, and they charged you for it? 7.0 lbs. 6.8 lbs. or 6.9 lbs.? what am i missing here? what was the problem with it that you felt it needed repair? adjusting the trigger pull weight? my Winchester M94 has a 7 lb. plus trigger pull weight, and i could adjust it with using different springs if i wanted it lighter. i am sure the same could be done to the Marlin too.

like i said Wolf, i am just not seeing it. i look at different rifles at least every couple of weeks, sometimes once a week. i keep hearing the same rumours and myths about the Remingtons. like i said, i have two Marlins made prior to the buy of them by Remington and another made afterwards, it shoots as well as the others and as well as the old Remingtons, Winchesters and Rugers i own.

Old 05-08-2012, 04:22 PM   #13

Ain't no myth. It really happened to me. I still really liked the look and feel of the rifle. It could have been a great shooter too. I'll never know. I spent two days trying to clean up the barrel and finally gave up. I probably ran at least 50 patches or so down the bore. I kept the last few patches for my records and sent the rest back with the rifle.

xs7s-91922706.jpg  

Old 05-08-2012, 05:16 PM   #14

Kreecher, that isn't a new gun with needing that much cleaning. you got duped by someone who needed to rid themselves of a rifle. but that wasn't new and your issue should be with whoever sold it to you, not the rifle. i have bought many used rifles and they needed much cleaning and TLC to get them into a condition that pleased me, but i knew they were used. if i bought a new rifle and got the results you did, i would have an issue with who sold to me for selling a used rifle as new when it wasn't. so therefor IMO it's not the rifle or Marlin's fault of it being passed off as new when it is readily apparent, the rifle is most assuredly used. so going off half-cocked and making such statements about Marlin rifles like you did, is well without any merit as to there quality.

Old 05-09-2012, 12:17 AM   #15

I bought the rifle brand new from centerfireguns.com. Cost me $314. I bought it on-line because I wanted a rifle in 7mm-08 and ss. Not a particular popular chamber especially here in Ohio where rifles are just about useless expect for small game or hogs. I wasn't not going to spend $700 on a rifle that I might use every other year up in MI with a friend. I emailed a complaint to centerfire at 3pm and they called me back at 5pm the same day. BTW they are in Colorado. They recommended I send the rifle back to them, so i did. I'm a business owner myself and I know the difference between bad vendors/suppliers. If I had to guess, I'd say this rifle came bad from the factory. Centerfire told me that it's not common practice to swab out the barrel. All their rifles are supposed to come new from the factory, they open every rifle and give a routine inspection for appearance and functionality miss firing. The lesson here is...swab out the barrel before you accept the transfer and do your homework. Labels can be misleading!

Old 05-09-2012, 02:56 AM   #16

Kreecher, you can believe anything you want that makes you feel better, but rifles don't come from the factory with bores that dirty, crud in the chamber and rust on the bolts. that rifle was used and returned, then sold to you as new. i have looked at and bought way too many rifles over the last 30 years many new and many used. they got caught at it and replaced it, but blaming Marlin for someone elses deceit is wrong and dishonest on your part. but if it makes you feel better, go for it, because anyone who has been around firearms for any length of time isn't going to believe a bore was that dirty brand new from the factory.

Old 05-09-2012, 03:47 AM   #17

Yeah it was! And I'm not blaming Marlin, It's not a Marlin gun! It's a Remington gun and if you would have followed the thread and done some research, you would have known that. The Marlin of old is gone. As a matter of fact, the TC Venture that I swapped it out for is owned by who...? S&W. Get the point!

Old 05-09-2012, 04:20 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreecher View Post
What a piece of junk! Bought a new xs7s in 7mm-08, the bore was completely fouled, the bolt face a little rusted, and scratches on the underside of the barrel. Not my Dad's Marlin that's for sure! I accepted the transfer, but everyone missed this one. Someone just cleaned up the muzzle, bore and chamber, just enough to pass a visual inspection. Luckily, the online store i bought it from took carry of me right away and swapped it out for a TC Venture. How many of you swab the barrel before you buy a new/used gun? BTW, if i knew it was a Remington, I wouldn't have bought. This is my first center fire hunting rifle (i live in Ohio), just bought to hunt with friends in PA and MI.
Kreecher, are these not you own words? written by you!

what a piece of junk!

bought a new xs7s in 7mm-08, the bore was completely fouled........

face it the rifle was sold to you as new, it wasn't new. you were decieved. i own three different Marlins in different calibers, two prior to the buying of them by Remington and one made afterwards. not a thing wrong with them, clean bores, good fit and finish, good blueing, shoot very accurate, ect....

Remington may own Marlin, but they are still a Marlin rifle. Ford bought and now owns Jaguar, so does that make a Jaguar a Ford? not hardly, same thing with Marlin.

Old 05-09-2012, 04:32 AM   #19

The point of these forums is to share good information. I'm just sharing my experience, you can take it for whatever you want. But I would hope the feed would be honest. If that's not the case, not much point being here. I got my 1 and 3yr old here, maybe I let them type?

Old 05-09-2012, 04:47 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreecher View Post
The point of these forums is to share good information. I'm just sharing my experience, you can take it for whatever you want. But I would hope the feed would be honest. If that's not the case, not much point being here. I got my 1 and 3yr old here, maybe I let them type?
but your information is flawed and misleading, so therefor, it isn't good information and have pointed out to you as why, but you don't seem to understand. your experiance that you are sharing is that bought with good faith a new rifle, they sent you a used one. that's not Marlins fault. that rifle did not come from the factory that way. it did not come from the factory in a Remington box. would you say that Winchesters, (you can insert any other brand here as well) if you ordered it online and the same situation were to happen, were junk? do not fault the rifle and say it's junk because some dishonest online dealer sold you a used rifle and passed it off as junk. my feed and information is rooted in fact and is honest, if you can't handle the truth, then that's your problem. i have been hearing this same BS about Marlins and Remingtons for quite awhile now, and the proof just isn't there to support what people claim. maybe you should buy from a reputable dealer that has them in stock, if he didn't have it in stock, i know they can order them. my gun dealer will order any firearm i want if it's not in stock and he can get it, usually within 3-5 days.