Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   My New Marlin. WOW! (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/my-new-marlin-wow-63834/)

kreecher 05-04-2012 11:12 PM

My New Marlin. WOW!
 
What a piece of junk! Bought a new xs7s in 7mm-08, the bore was completely fouled, the bolt face a little rusted, and scratches on the underside of the barrel. Not my Dad's Marlin that's for sure! I accepted the transfer, but everyone missed this one. Someone just cleaned up the muzzle, bore and chamber, just enough to pass a visual inspection. Luckily, the online store i bought it from took carry of me right away and swapped it out for a TC Venture. How many of you swab the barrel before you buy a new/used gun? BTW, if i knew it was a Remington, I wouldn't have bought. This is my first center fire hunting rifle (i live in Ohio), just bought to hunt with friends in PA and MI.

BlueTurf 05-05-2012 01:28 AM

I have never experienced a problem with the barrels or actions of brand new rifles but when I look at used rifles I use a bore light, patches and the whole bit. Anyone with half a brain would do a thorough cleaning of the barrel when they were trying to sell a used gun, unless they were trying to hide something. Filthy fouled barrels tend to give a negative first impression. Anyone interested in buying a used rifle would do themselves a favor by checking out the barrel real good if they have the opportunity. I had a guy try to sell me a Ruger Super Redhawk in .44 mag. The cylinder and barrel were filthy. He told me less than one box of ammo had ben shot through it. One look inside the barrel was enough to make me decide I didn't want that gun.

kreecher 05-07-2012 03:11 PM

My quick look down the bore wasn't good enough. But I've done some follow up research and found some things I didn't know. Marlin was bought out by Remington somewhere around 07-08? Plant moved, most employees fired. Marlins produced during the transition period 09-? and after, maybe of poor quality. Avoid Marlins with serial numbers beginning with 91.. or produced in 09. Rifles produced before the buyout are of traditional Marlin quality. Marlins are now just Remington rifles. Mine actually came in a Remington box.

Axxe55 05-07-2012 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kreecher (Post 792898)
My quick look down the bore wasn't good enough. But I've done some follow up research and found some things I didn't know. Marlin was bought out by Remington somewhere around 07-08? Plant moved, most employees fired. Marlins produced during the transition period 09-? and after, maybe of poor quality. Avoid Marlins with serial numbers beginning with 91.. or produced in 09. Rifles produced before the buyout are of traditional Marlin quality. Marlins are now just Remington rifles. Mine actually came in a Remington box.

well i have two Marlin X7's that were made prior to the buying of them by Remington and one made afterwards. the one made afterwards is every bit as high a quality a rifle as the one made prior to the buyout. yes the serial number starts with 91 and was made in either late 2010 or early 2011.

maybe that's the chance you take when buying a firearm online. i bought mine through my LGS and have found them all to be in perfect condition.

JonM 05-07-2012 03:28 PM

Sounds like you need a reputable dealer. All the new marlins at my lgs all have marlin boxes. My new marlin lever gun has very good fit and finish and shoots just under 2moa with open sights at 100 yds

Barrel is marked rp for remington.

Remington does not own marlin but the same group that owns remington owns marlin.

Personally im not into lower end production bolt rifles but ive never seen a new marlin as you described. Ive heard thesemythical stories a lot no one can provide pictures as the dealer has always exchanged it.

There are reasons to not like any given gun but in this case you accepted a faulty gun without inspection.

I personally inspect every firearm i buy stem to stern new or used. Ive bought used guns with bad bores like my enfielld mk4 the bore is terrible but its a possible project gun. The action is good and stock is original.

As they say... buyer beware

Axxe55 05-07-2012 03:34 PM

well said JonM! my point exactly. i too have heard so many of these internet myths about the Marlin/Remington rifles and so far haven't seen any such thing to support these myths.

just last friday when i was buying another pistol i was looking at a Marlin XS7 in 243 in stainless steel. bolt was smooth in operation, trigger crisp, fit and finish were very good and will possibly be a member in the collection soon.

therewolf 05-07-2012 04:15 PM

I'm so glad I got my Marlin when I did, and it worked out so well.

I keep seeing posts about new Marlin nightmares...

HockaLouis 05-07-2012 11:48 PM

My new Marlin trigger was so bad I sent it back per THEIR direction as under warranty. Then, they held the trigger hostage, charging me for it to be fixed anyway becasue they'd only fix it under warranty if it was over 7 lbs and mine was 6.9. I told them it was 6.8 when they told me to send it in!

Remington's nickel and dime influence. Gotta pay for that NASCAR!

Axxe55 05-08-2012 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by therewolf (Post 792970)
I'm so glad I got my Marlin when I did, and it worked out so well.

I keep seeing posts about new Marlin nightmares...

Quote:

Originally Posted by HockaLouis (Post 793441)
My new Marlin trigger was so bad I sent it back per THEIR direction as under warranty. Then, they held the trigger hostage, charging me for it to be fixed anyway becasue they'd only fix it under warranty if it was over 7 lbs and mine was 6.9. I told them it was 6.8 when they told me to send it in!

Remington's nickel and dime influence. Gotta pay for that NASCAR!

Wolf, i have been seeing the same internet talk about the new Marlins for some time now, and can honestly say that i haven't seen these issues that some are talking about. i know all myths are rooted in a small fact or truth, that is generally blown out of preportion. are there issues when another company takes over and moves the plant operations? probably. but many who are jumping on the bandwagon and badmouthing Marlin rifles would probably find fault with a full blown hand made custom rifle too. it's a mass produced item, so yes there can be some that have problems, but personally i haven't seen it. i can say my Marlins hang in there with my Remingtons and Rugers that are 30-45 years older and have just sa much in the accuracy department.

Hock, why didn't you just adjust the trigger yourself? detailed instructions on how to do it are in the operaters manual. did you even read the manual? i read the owners manual on every new firearm i buy, before i shoot it or tear it down for cleaning. my father use to have a saying, "when all else fails, read the instructions!" my Marlins had heavy trigger pull weights too, so i read in the manual how to adjust them and now they are at about 2 1/2 lbs and one is less than 2 lbs.

HockaLouis 05-08-2012 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axxe55 (Post 793801)
Wolf, i have been seeing the same internet talk about the new Marlins for some time now, and can honestly say that i haven't seen these issues that some are talking about. i know all myths are rooted in a small fact or truth, that is generally blown out of preportion. are there issues when another company takes over and moves the plant operations? probably. but many who are jumping on the bandwagon and badmouthing Marlin rifles would probably find fault with a full blown hand made custom rifle too. it's a mass produced item, so yes there can be some that have problems, but personally i haven't seen it. i can say my Marlins hang in there with my Remingtons and Rugers that are 30-45 years older and have just sa much in the accuracy department.

Hock, why didn't you just adjust the trigger yourself? detailed instructions on how to do it are in the operaters manual. did you even read the manual? i read the owners manual on every new firearm i buy, before i shoot it or tear it down for cleaning. my father use to have a saying, "when all else fails, read the instructions!" my Marlins had heavy trigger pull weights too, so i read in the manual how to adjust them and now they are at about 2 1/2 lbs and one is less than 2 lbs.

Axxe, what's with the defensive attitude?

First of all, the trigger on my gun which their factory gunsmith told me hasn't changed it's money-saving design in almost 50 years, isn't "adjustable."

Second, again, it was UNDER WARRANTY and THEY said it was bad, out of spec, and gave me two REMINGTON places to send it for free repair or replacement. It was then they changed their mind per a new rule and for 1/10th of a pound got a comparative king's ransom to send me my property back and make my gun even operable.

Remington gotta pay for those infomercials!


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:01 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.