My "New" M91/30 Mosin Nagant
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > My "New" M91/30 Mosin Nagant

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2009, 04:17 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default My "New" M91/30 Mosin Nagant

I just recently finished refinishing and a little bit of refurb to for my recently acquired Mosin Nagant ("izzy") and I thought you guys might be interested in some pics of it so here they are.

I chose to make the stock really shiny instead of making it a sort of satin look...I may change it though I dont know yet.

Another view of the rifle. I also reblued the barrel but you cant really tell a difference except there is a tremendously smaller amount of rust.

Where I keep my SHTF ammo. (7n14 AP rounds)

Tell me what you think. Whether you think I did a good job or a craptacular job either way I love input.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-27-2009, 04:24 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

It looks fine. How's it shoot?

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 03-27-2009, 04:38 AM   #3

I haven't had an opportunity (sp?) to shoot paper yet. I've only fired it enough to make sure it works. I basicly just shot a hill a few times. The rounds I have can't be used at a firing range so I am going to print me off some targets and see how it does some time this weekend most likely. Right now its the only rifle I have so I'm really hoping (fingers crossed) that it will be no more than 2 or 3 MOA so it will be capable of hunting with.

Although for operation the bolt needs some lube and the trigger has a bit of play especially when it is cocked but everything else is fine...Also missing the bar that runs under the stock idk whether its the cleaning rod or for extra stabilization...Is there a guide on here on how to bed the barrel or float the barrel because I would really like to do as much as I can my self before I start throwing money at it. I have access to a CNC machine so I can get alot of stuff made for free if there are certain parts I will need.

Old 03-27-2009, 04:53 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I like Mosins and currently have an excellent 91/59. I used to have an M38. I tend to like the shorter ones for some reason.

Please don't take this the wrong way. Most Mosins have had the crap shot out of them. They're old and worn and the butts are always nasty looking from being stacked in the snow. The barrels can be lousy from shooting corrosive ammunition and infrequent cleaning. Many tend to be kind of loose and sloppy.

They will shoot reliably, they chamber an excellent round that is more or less comparable to a .308. They will group like a combat rifle, not a tackdriving target rifle.

If yours is a decent shooter, I would suggest you pick up a Mojo sight. It runs around fifty bucks and is an excellent and useful improvement. Your accuracy should immediately improve.

I've never heard of anyone bedding a Mosin barrel before. Personally, I think it would not be worth it.

Now it's your turn to take it out and shoot the crap out of it. Have fun and post a range report.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 03-27-2009, 01:49 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2733 Times on 1431 Posts
Likes Given: 231

M/N's were made to be inexpensive, effective, simple, robust, and reliable. Accuracy was not designed into them. Accuracy happened occasionally. The especially accurate ones were made into snipers. The rest can be a crap shoot. If yours will shoot 2-3 MOA it will be better than average.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 03-27-2009, 05:19 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by nervQozp View Post
Hello, here it is sourceradix.com/m/f27.html
That took me to a drug website...What?

Old 08-27-2009, 07:59 PM   #7

Well i finally got it out to the range and the rifle really suprised me. We were shooting at 50 meters (the longest range at the place we were at) and it was hitting very tight groups although it was hitting to the right and quite high all of the bullets were landing in the same crater. I used a brass punch and a hammer to get the front site lined up right but i cant figure out anything to do about it shooting high (i mean like 2 feet high) so i guess i will just shoot low at targets. i was expecting the worst, something like 6 moa but i would guesstamate it was around 1.5 or 2 moa. We also shot my friends recently purchased mosin was what i expected from my rifle though. it was aweful even at 50meters it was making groups atleast 6 inches O_O. The old guy at the range was a pain though, at one point he actually said "thats why they lost the war" some ppl apparently dont realise russian won ww2. Anyway to make it short

range: 50meters
group: ~ 1-2 inches
shots fired: 30
shoulder: sore

Old 08-27-2009, 11:15 PM   #8

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

What weight bullets were you using? My 91/30 shoots dead nuts at 100 yds. using 148gr. surplus steel core.

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 08-28-2009, 12:59 AM   #9

I was using 7n14 151 grain (the new ammo for the dragunov) which is far superior to regular surplus ammo. The gun shop i go to around here seems to have an endless supply for 8 bucks per box (20 rounds) although it probably isnt the ammo, mosin's can range widely from rifles you can hit the eyebrow of a gnat with to ones you can hit the broadside of a barn with... from the inside of the barn. Like i said my buddy's rifle was garbage compared to mine although his actually has the top piece of wood and the cleaning rod unlike mine but mine does its job better.

Old 08-28-2009, 03:55 AM   #10

Looks very good. I bought one around last Christmas. I couldn’t pass it up for the price. My shots a little high at 100 yards. I think it would be on if I shot the base of target and not the center.
If you have not found it already this is a link to information about the rifle.
http://62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinM9130S.htm

Death By Gun Control The Mother of All Stats
In the 20th Century, at least 170,000,000 people were murdered by their own governments -- more killed than by crime – more than killed by war.
http://jpfo.org/index.htm

Last edited by Last Crow; 08-28-2009 at 04:16 AM.