My Mini 14 vs. My AR-15 - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion >

My Mini 14 vs. My AR-15

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2012, 08:44 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3248 Times on 1941 Posts
Likes Given: 2347

Default Conclusion

ITS EASY, IF YOU CAN, OWN BOTH!

my overall thoughts MY AR-15 and MINI 14:

ACCUARCY: AR
RELIABILTY: EVEN
CRAFTSMANSHIP/QUALITY: MINI 14
"SHOOTABILITY" EVEN
"EXTRAS": AR
MAINTAINANCE UNDETERMINED AT THIS POINT

both guns are a fine choice at this price point imo. i still slightly prefer the mini 14, but that is just a preference. from my expereince, IGNORE overexaggerations of the mini 14's poor accuarcy (EDIT: on the new models, older models often have serious accuracy issues) AND the AR's bad rep for reliability. i see no issues with either thus far.

DO understand however, a mini will require some time and TLC to make it a good shooter. if you like to tinker, this is great. if you want to pull it out the box and expect its best, this isn't so great.

THANKS for looking at this thread, i hope it helps posters looking for info on these rifles. it took some time, $, and effort. please make any comments and questions you wish. however, PLEASE keep all comments nice and try not to "WAR" on this subject. we can all agree to disagree on any of it.

Last edited by hawkguy; 04-23-2012 at 03:43 AM.

Old 04-22-2012, 09:56 PM   #12

Liked 815 Times on 623 Posts
Likes Given: 125

You started to lose me when you included a "strut" on the Mini-14 to make it accurate. Then it went downhill for me from there when you didn't i.d. the ranges you were shooting at, didn't i.d. the ammo, didn't actually bother to score the targets (all of them, or ANY of them properly), claimed one unidentitfied Mini-14 failure is effectively the same as none in the AR, dismiss a group 20% larger than another as about equal, i.d. the craftsmanship/quality of the Mini-14 as better when I don't even think they can be compared frankly...

I don't want to dampen your enthusiasm, and I appreciate the effort you took to share, but I'm not sure you are equipped to make the comparisons you aspired to for anyone else. Forgive me if I skip the future update(s)...

Last edited by HockaLouis; 04-22-2012 at 10:02 PM.

Old 04-22-2012, 10:26 PM   #13

Liked 776 Times on 542 Posts
Likes Given: 842

11 posts? Why not just 1??

Old 04-22-2012, 10:48 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis View Post
You started to lose me when you included a "strut" on the Mini-14 to make it accurate. Then it went downhill for me from there when you didn't i.d. the ranges you were shooting at, didn't i.d. the ammo, didn't actually bother to score the targets (all of them, or ANY of them properly), claimed one unidentitfied Mini-14 failure is effectively the same as none in the AR, dismiss a group 20% larger than another as about equal, i.d. the craftsmanship/quality of the Mini-14 as better when I don't even think they can be compared frankly...

I don't want to dampen your enthusiasm, and I appreciate the effort you took to share, but I'm not sure you are equipped to make the comparisons you aspired to for anyone else. Forgive me if I skip the future update(s)...
well, although it was basically negative, i appreciate your input all the same.

please allow me to elaborate/clarify a few points.

ammo first was a combination of federal 55grain, american eagle hollowpoints 50 grain, 62 grain green tip penetrators, federal m193 ball, and hornady 55 grain v-max. the v-max is mostly represented in the accuracy shooting.

i was open about the strut from the begining, so fail to understand your problem there. i think the groups to the naked eye looked virtually the same myself. i gave the AR the advantage because 1) i took measures to improve the mini 2) i have FAR less trigger time with the AR. please note AGAIN that i gave the accuarcy edge to the AR, even though the groups were very close imo.

i rated the reliabilty as EVEN because i have put over 1,300 rounds through my mini and less than 300 through my AR. until the AR round count is close, i can't say it is more reliable. that is why i rated them even at this point. does this make sense?

as far as craftsmanship, getting a stainless steel rifle for the same price as black aluminum, wins this issue alone. stainless models of the same rifle are generally $80-150 more, no? but this can be so subjective, so agree to disagree here.

as for "scoring targets," all i did was compare rough sizes of groups side to side. not an exact science, i will agree. but good enough to get an idea that at least in this trip, both guns shoot within a close range of each other.

hope this helps & again, thanks for your input.

Old 04-22-2012, 10:51 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
11 posts? Why not just 1??
increase post count?

it just helps me organize my thoughts better this way. i hope the thread was helpful in some way?

Old 04-22-2012, 11:34 PM   #16

Liked 815 Times on 623 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Hawk;
I know you think your explanations support and improve your review thread but I am fairly certain it actually further demonstrates that you were a little premature in pulling the trigger there, a dozen posts nothwithstanding...

Old 04-23-2012, 12:09 AM   #17

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hey Hawk, I thoroughly enjoyed the review and found it quite helpful. Thanks for all your time, effort and for sharing.

"Time to nut up or shut up." - Tallahassee

"Life is tough, it is even tougher if you are stupid." - The Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duddn View Post
I'm a man, I see it as my obligation to like guns. And they are just so fun.

Old 04-23-2012, 12:11 AM   #18

Liked 45 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Well, all I can say is if you like your rifles and enjoy shooting them that sounds good to me.

I just wish I knew someone who had a Mini-14 or AR that I could go shooting with. I have an M-14 and like shooting military-type rifles. Most of the people I know just want to shoot their bolt-action rifles, which is okay, but sometimes I get the itch to go through several magazines of ammo in rapid fire-fashion.

Last edited by BlueTurf; 04-23-2012 at 12:17 AM.

Old 04-23-2012, 12:17 AM   #19

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts

Sure it wasn't a "proffesional" level review, but who cares? I thought it was a good review and i appreciate the effort the OP put into it.

Old 04-23-2012, 12:31 AM   #20

Liked 78 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 8

This is a forum for gun aficionado's, not professional writers who nitpick every little detail. Was it the best ever review? No. But it was unbiased and honest. He gave his assessment, and I think it was fairly accurate and he worked hard to get it right. Everything he missed can be corrected, and one doesn't write at a superior level on their first try.
If you don't like the article, then write your own.
I found it thought out. Only issues, which I think are minor? Shoot the same loadout in each magazine. If you shoot 55 grain federal with ten rounds, then shoot the same load on the AR, an compare them that way.
The critique, I give you credit for. You acknowledged the accuracy was because you hadn't shot the AR before. The only thing I'd ask on that? You said your buddies AR had issues. My questions would be what kind of AR does he have, the BCG within it, and his maintenance and upkeep of it.
Overall, it was thought out well and reliable. It gives someone who isn't well versed enough information to eliminate some of the rumors concerning both firearms.
Good job.