Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > My Mauser K98

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2013, 11:59 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 119 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Default My Mauser K98

Good morning all, I finally got around to shooting a video of my K98. Here it is. I also this morning looked more carefully at it and found more proof marks and numbers here and there. I'm a little disappointed that I could not capture the swastikas on video, but after examining it very closely with a magnifying glass, the swastikas are definitely intact, not peened out.

I've *not* disassembled it so can't show you more detail on what the wood may be hiding. Wow, the Germans were nuts for details...numbers and symbols, some extremely tiny, stamped everywhere.

This particular rifle was manufactured in 1940 at an actual Mauser plant, specifically: Mauser-Werke AG, Werk Berlin-Borsigwalde, Eichborndamm, Germany.

The butt plate has the marking bpr 40 WaA497 and at the bottom of the butt plate 5171 b

I'd be particularly interested to know what the butt plate markings mean.

Here's the video:

I welcome any of your thoughts on the "pedigree" of this specimen:

http://youtu.be/MyPhZ_tX_Bw

People Like This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-24-2013, 09:47 PM   #2
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19819 Times on 11253 Posts
Likes Given: 49946

very nice looking rifle! thanks for sharing it with us. i like the Mauser designs and like seeing the original Mausers as well.

Old 12-25-2013, 12:04 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1749 Times on 904 Posts
Likes Given: 346

Very nice. This rifle us on my list along with a 1903 that is in good shape. What did this set you back?

Old 12-26-2013, 05:17 PM   #4

Liked 119 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloeshooter View Post
Very nice. This rifle us on my list along with a 1903 that is in good shape. What did this set you back?
I apologize, but I just do not remember.

Old 12-27-2013, 12:04 AM   #5

Liked 692 Times on 459 Posts
Likes Given: 705

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloeshooter View Post
I seen one in Tucson about a year ago, it was $800 with a bayonet and still had all the German markings.

Went to the gun show last weekend, If I had $600 I coulda came home with a 03-A3...
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 12-28-2013, 07:21 PM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

bpr is the Letter Code identifying the subcontractor that produced the buttplate. The buttplate was made in 1940 by the firm Johannes Grossfuss Metall-u. Lackierwarenfabrik (metal and laquerware manufacturing). Grossfuss was located in the town of Döbeln in Saxony.

The other number should be the rifle's serial number.

Follow us on Facebook! facebook.com/worldbayonets

The bayonet cannot be abolished for the reason, if for no other, that it is the sole and exclusive embodiment of that willpower which, alone, both in war and everyday life, attains its object.—General M. I. Dragomirov