My CMP HRA Service Grade Special has joined the family
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > My CMP HRA Service Grade Special has joined the family

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2012, 12:37 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts

Default My CMP HRA Service Grade Special has joined the family

Yes, my new CMP HRA Service Grade Special arrived on my doorstep on Monday. I have been buried at work this week, so frustrating, I barely had time to unbox it.

It is a thing of beauty, Serial #47541XX I have not had time to research the date or to take it apart to see if it is all HRA.

The CMP stock is actually quite nice, I doubt if I will ever change it out for GI wood, this will be a reliable shooter.

I can't wait to take it to the range. Along with the rifle, the CMP sent three cans of HXP and 500 rounds of the Hornady M1 ammo so I should be good to go with ammo for a while. The muzzle is +1 and the throat is +2.

Thank goodness for the CMP, without them, I probably wouldn't have bought a Garand, I would have been too paranoid of getting ripped off. With the CMP, you know exactly what you are paying for.

The next one with be a regular Service Grade, hopefully a WWII gun but I am thrilled with this one, I have wanted a Garand for most of my life and only recently have I been in a position buy one. I love owning a piece of history, it was the rifle that saved the world.

All of the metal looks far more gray under flash than it does in real life. Sometime, when I have time, I will shoot some more images with the sling and en bloc belt that I bought but I wanted to post something so just took these quickies.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-27-2012, 12:51 AM   #2

Liked 1839 Times on 1025 Posts
Likes Given: 1214

Hey, that is very nice! I would love to buy a Garand myself. They seem to be getting really high...if you find one. Do you mind if I ask what that cost?

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 04-27-2012, 01:15 AM   #3

Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts

Hi Rick:

This is a Harrington & Richardson Service Grade Special, they sell for $950.00 through the www.thecmp.org It is collector grade original metal in a new CMP stock, I wanted a shooter so I bought what is basically a brand new Garand. However, the CMP has been selling regular Service Grade that were mostly returned from a huge batch from Greece and they look almost this good but have a few more dings and original stocks for $625.00 Many of these Greek returns are in pristine condition, the best Service Grades the CMP has seen in many, many years. I will be ordering one of those too.

My rifle was made in either 1954-55, but if you buy a regular Service Grade, you have a chance of getting an actual WWII rifle that was issued. How cool is that? You have to do all of the paperwork to qualify for the CMP but they ship it right to your door via FedEx. My suggestion would be that if you want an M1, you'd better act now, the Director of the CMP has stated that they will run our of rifles in 12-18 months and then they will be out of the rifle business. You will not find a gun at this price with a more interesting history. They are powerful, accurate, mechanically beautiful and very reliable. They also just started selling a version in .308 if you prefer that over .30-06 Get one, they are the rifle that saved the world, every American should own one.

Last edited by Capybara; 04-27-2012 at 05:11 AM.

Old 04-27-2012, 01:26 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1198 Times on 669 Posts
Likes Given: 497

Default Shore is purdy!

Enjoy your new Garand. Congratulations.