Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   MY AR15 with scope is confusing me. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/my-ar15-scope-confusing-me-64112/)

TM3TenraiSS 05-09-2012 02:42 AM

MY AR15 with scope is confusing me.

I put a scope on my AR15 (flat top without the carry handle) and The front sight is right in front of it it so i thought I'd need to get something to elevate the scope over it but when I look through it I dont see my front sight at all. Any explanations? cause I got no clue.

trip286 05-09-2012 03:01 AM

Is there a complaint here? Is it accurate?

If its accurate, and its not obstructing...
I understand your confusion. When my manager told me I got an extra 500 bucks in a sale yesterday, I was a bit confused too, but it's one of those things where you just take what you get while its good man.

TM3TenraiSS 05-09-2012 03:07 AM

Haven't been out to try yet, not gonna complain if it is I just don't understand, big hunk of metal in front of my scope but when I look through its not there what kind of witchcraft is this????? Transdimensional portal in my scope?

trip286 05-09-2012 04:09 AM

It probably has something to do with optical refraction hocus pocus. I can't see my finger in front of a pair of binoculars unless I put it right on the lens.

Jpyle 05-09-2012 04:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TM3TenraiSS (Post 794624)
I put a scope on my AR15 (flat top without the carry handle) and The front sight is right in front of it it so i thought I'd need to get something to elevate the scope over it but when I look through it I dont see my front sight at all. Any explanations? cause I got no clue.

It's due to the magic of optics and focal point (length) of the scope. In a multi power scope, e.g. 3x-9x, the light is being collected by the objective lens from a point beyond the front sight and focused on the ocular lens as a pin point. In a sense, the scope cannot see the sight post. Obviously when using a 1x powered red dot the sight post is visible for co-witnessing through the sight tube.

TM3TenraiSS 05-09-2012 11:27 AM

Thanks for The input guys!

HockaLouis 05-09-2012 11:33 AM

Yuppers -- it's way out of focus and probably only takes up a small part of the bottom half of the overall sight picture anyway.

jjfuller1 05-09-2012 01:03 PM

ive heard any magnification under 3x will give you at a minimum a shadow on the bottom where the post is. but above that its as if its not there. wont effect accuracy or anything. just one of the little magic things that happen.

TM3TenraiSS 05-09-2012 08:30 PM

That magic is savin me some $ lol

The_Kid 05-10-2012 03:21 AM

Cover half of the objective lens with your hand and look through it.... put two fingers about 1/2 inch apart in the center of the objective lens.

Google "Anti-Reflection Device".