Muzzle Brakes - JP Recoil Eliminator

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Muzzle Brakes - JP Recoil Eliminator

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2010, 05:28 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Muzzle Brakes - JP Recoil Eliminator

HI All,
I have found many forum threads on muzzle brakes but few with comments on the JP Recoil Eliminator. Anyone have good or bad experience with the JP Recoil Eliminator on a big bore magnum like 338 Win Mag or similar caliber.

P.S. Yeah I know they look ugly and big but I am looking for performance. Only a few see me and my setup out in the woods.

Thanks
Steve

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-08-2010, 12:17 PM   #2

Liked 46 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevesdl View Post
HI All,
I have found many forum threads on muzzle brakes but few with comments on the JP Recoil Eliminator. Anyone have good or bad experience with the JP Recoil Eliminator on a big bore magnum like 338 Win Mag or similar caliber.

P.S. Yeah I know they look ugly and big but I am looking for performance. Only a few see me and my setup out in the woods.

Thanks
Steve
You won't find a lot of comments because few folks really are serious enough to spend real cash on a muzzle brake, going for looks/price instead of performance. I've never tried a JP in .338 Win Mag but I have tried them in .308 and .300 Win Mag and they work well. If you want a Muzzle break that works as well or better look at the OPS, Inc. Does a superb job while matching the barrel contour. Again, pricey but it works as advertised (Brownells.com has them)

Old 01-08-2010, 09:16 PM   #3

Thanks for the input.
My discernment is the OBS product is good but the APS Painkiller and the JP Recoil reducer is better "supposedly".

I am testing a gunsmiths custom muzzle brake next wednesday on a Win Model 70 338 winchester mag. He believes his brake is a superior brake so I will let the forum know how that goes.

I know I might be getting too fussy over a few percentage points difference and if this was a 300 WSM I probably would not give it so much attention but I have shot both the 300 WSM and the 338 win mag and there is a substantial difference. I want the 338 and I want to have lots of enjoyment with it.

Old 01-08-2010, 10:17 PM   #4

Liked 46 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevesdl View Post
Thanks for the input.
My discernment is the OBS product is good but the APS Painkiller and the JP Recoil reducer is better "supposedly".

I am testing a gunsmiths custom muzzle brake next wednesday on a Win Model 70 338 winchester mag. He believes his brake is a superior brake so I will let the forum know how that goes.

I know I might be getting too fussy over a few percentage points difference and if this was a 300 WSM I probably would not give it so much attention but I have shot both the 300 WSM and the 338 win mag and there is a substantial difference. I want the 338 and I want to have lots of enjoyment with it.
The .300 WSM is a *****cat that hardly needs a muzzle brake. I had a Kimber Montana until recently that was pretty much an ultralight and even my daughter had no problem shooting it with no MB. Like you said it is a looooooong ways from a .338 Win Mag in the recoil department. The .338 can be a pounder in Win Mag config and I had a .338 RUM that rattled my fillings. But a decent MB and recoil pad should tame it enough to make it fun. How heavy is the rifle you are shooting?