Muzzle Brakes - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Muzzle Brakes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2010, 12:01 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 747 Times on 522 Posts
Likes Given: 790

I forgot to ask, do you use a sling???

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 12-16-2010, 12:49 AM   #12

No I don't, that may be something to think about. I am just starting to build this gun and get it the way I want, so any suggestions would be appreciated. I am also just starting to extend my range to more than just sighting in my rifle, and shooting at deer at 100 yards or less. I am very interested in longer range shooting.

Old 12-16-2010, 01:12 AM   #13

Liked 747 Times on 522 Posts
Likes Given: 790

Your rifle is capable. Do a search on slings. The 1907 works great, so do regular strap types if you wrap them around your arm. I shoot mostly old Military rifles and use a wrap technique that works great. It is very simple.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 12-16-2010, 01:46 AM   #14

Muzzle brakes are extremely popular for the .308. I shoot mine with my left hand under the stock by the rear sandbag to squeeze the bag for minute adjustments. I let free recoil do its thing and if you need a muzzle brake for that to be comfortable, go for it. Whatever makes you more accurate. Holding the barrel down on my gun (and many guns..most guns) would defeat the purpose of the free floating barrel, so i don't even tempt myself by keeping my hand on the rear bag.

I don't come to internet forums to argue, so if it seems like I'm ignoring your response, I am.

Last edited by Ronbo; 12-16-2010 at 02:05 AM.

Old 12-16-2010, 02:15 AM   #15

Liked 327 Times on 219 Posts
Likes Given: 30

If your shooting in the prone unsupported (holding forestock with free left or right arm and hand) you should use and benifit from a sling. If you are shooting supported, off a bibod, you will not use a sling. Your free hand will be under the butt of the stock. Laying your hand on the top of barrel with free hand is not consistantly repeatable for accuracy at long range and should not be done.

Positional tips for shooting supported (off a bipod) Or at least as best I can remember what I've been taught.

Rifle barrel to be lined up with target; Your spine in line with barrel which is in line with target; Your legs spread apart and toes outward as to have more stable position; Trigger hand not touching side of stock (slapping wood); Triger finger squarely on trigger not canted to right or left side of trigger; Trigger follow through meaning pulling trigger back and holding back through recoil cycle before release; Shoot on total breath exhale with lungs totally deflated; Free hand on bottom or side so butt as to fine tune panning from right to left to line up with target; Squshey shooting bag, such as ones made by Tab Gear, which you position with free hand for increase or decrease in elevation off bottom of rifle butt; Gently pre load bipod foreward with shoulder. Also, keep you eye in the scope.

The main thing with these techniques is to make your built up position consistantly repetable for every shot delivered. Also your built up position should be as much as possible relaxed in nature as it's more easily repeatable.

Also, always use a swivel bipod such as the Harris BRS model or Atlas BT10 if you have to spend the money (Atals bipods are kinda' pricey), and keep the rifle as low as possible with bipod for better stability and repeatable accuracy.

Unsupported is a bit different in positional build up as you are using your free hand to support the forestock and should be using a sling. Also you most likely will not be set up exactly squarely behind your rifle either.

Unsupported prone shooting with sling.

Last edited by mrm14; 12-16-2010 at 02:39 AM.

Old 12-19-2010, 04:41 AM   #16

Holland's Gunsmithing & Shooters Supply

Holland's quick discharge muzzle brakes are the finest, most efficient muzzle brakes on the planet !