Muzzle Brakes
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Muzzle Brakes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2010, 01:06 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Muzzle Brakes

I am going to put a muzzle brake on my remington 700 .308, It already has a threaded barrel, so that's one step out of the way. I am currently looking at JP enterprises tactical compensator. I would appreciate any input from those who have installed a muzzle brake, as far as makes, models etc. and which ones work better.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-14-2010, 04:08 AM   #2

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 47

JP makes some awesome breaks.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 12-14-2010, 09:14 PM   #3

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Remy, just thought I would show you the brake on my .300. It is a welded on brake and not removeable, but then I never had the intention of shooting the .300 without it. It has been on one hunt to Montana and now wil be used mostly for long range shooting at steels at the range. Our gunsmith makes his own brakes.
As far as recoil reduction, it tames the .300 down to less than a .308 heavy rifle, ie: 11 lbs or so. This brake is on a M700 Mil Spec 5R.
When the smith made the brake he indicated he would not put ports on top or bottom so as not to kick up too much crap when shot from prone. It works pretty well, but still there is some grass and stuff blown up but not back all over me.
Pic 74 is the top view and 76 is the bottom. Course you can see I need to hit the ports with Hoppes and a pipe cleaner.

100_0374.jpg   100_0375.jpg   100_0376.jpg  

Old 12-14-2010, 09:39 PM   #4

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts

Default muzzle break

the jp looks good ...kdf in seguin tx have a great reputation also ....my dilemma is that i have a remington 7600 .308 pump that ive ''tacticalized'' with an ar/stock ,10 shot mags , want a muzzle break because of looks alone ...i could care less about recoil or noise .....but what ive been told barrel removal would be a p.i.t.a.

Old 12-14-2010, 11:47 PM   #5

Silvertip, sweet pics, im sure it tames down that .300 quite well. I am however torn between asthetics and functionallity. I really like the look of the traditional brake on the .50 BMG, and I am looking for something similar, that's why I like the JP brakes so much, plus I have a threaded barrel, so I am not looking for anything permanant. I want to fit it with a suppressor one day. Thanks for the pics though.

Old 12-15-2010, 04:41 AM   #6

Liked 329 Times on 220 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Heres a couple of pics. of the Elite Iron brake on my rig. It works extremely well.

052.jpg

053.jpg

These pics show it before it was parked.

Old 12-15-2010, 11:03 AM   #7

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Brakes

The JP is supposed to be a really effective brake, I've shot next to one and can attest to the fact that it's annoyingly loud.

The one everyone (who has one) seems to love is the original Vais muzzle brake. Effective and relatively speaking, quiet. Google it for lots of info. Ron Bartlett owns the co. & manufactures them now.

Vais Arms Inc.

Harrell's and Holland's gunsmithing both make popular ones too.

Active Tuning Solution's sells a new version designed by George Vais (same designer as above). I have this one on my .284 improved rifle and like it.

http://www.activecamo.com/ATSwebsite/ProductsSevices.html

Unbiased Barnard, BAT, Kelbly, Nesika Bay x2, Remington x3, Browning, Marsh, Ruger x2, Savage x3, UltraLight Arms, AR15 x3 owner. I like 'em all.

Last edited by Switchbarrel; 12-15-2010 at 11:05 AM. Reason: added link

Old 12-15-2010, 01:21 PM   #8

Liked 747 Times on 522 Posts
Likes Given: 791

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switchbarrel View Post
The JP is supposed to be a really effective brake, I've shot next to one and can attest to the fact that it's annoyingly loud.
I do agree w/ annoying!! I was shooting next to a guy at a competition. He had one on an AR, not sure why. Every time he touched one off I got hit w/ that "BANG" and his brass. Not great when your shooting for points. He was pulled off the line.

This is just a question, Why do you need a muzzle brake on a .308??

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 12-15-2010, 11:33 PM   #9

[QUOTE=

This is just a question, Why do you need a muzzle brake on a .308??[/QUOTE]

I don't really NEED one, I mainly want one. I am a big guy, and while the 308 does'nt punish me with every shot, I would like a little reduction in recoil, also while shooting in the prone position the muzzle jumps like crazy. Maybe the shorter barrel has something to do with that, Im not sure, but I would like to tame it down just a bit.

Old 12-15-2010, 11:47 PM   #10

Liked 747 Times on 522 Posts
Likes Given: 791

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remy308 View Post
I don't really NEED one, I mainly want one. I am a big guy, and while the 308 does'nt punish me with every shot, I would like a little reduction in recoil, also while shooting in the prone position the muzzle jumps like crazy. Maybe the shorter barrel has something to do with that, Im not sure, but I would like to tame it down just a bit.
How long is the barrel? What does the Rifle weigh? W/ my Howa HB I put my hand on top of the barrel when shooting prone w/ a bi-pod. It stops the jump. Mine has a 22" barrel. This type may work better as it is designed to help w/ muzzle jump. I don't think the JP will.
Lund/SJC .308 Titan Compensator

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.